Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

So its tax season and another opportunity to get carparts.
So, thought id run my parts list that im gonna through at my car.
first up current setup

301RWHP 314RWTQ
Stock 98 LS1 engine
Ls6 intake
Ls6 PVC system
OBX LTHeaders
LLP catted ORY pipe
Tr6ix plugs
MSD wires
80mm Throttle body
85mm stock truck MAF
SLP LID
K&N filter\
Frost tuned PCM

Stock A4 trans
3200 revmax stall

Full UMI suspention front to rear
BMR F/R 35/25mm swaybars
Koni SA shocks F/R
Vogtland 1.25 lowering springs

stock rear end
2.73 gears

PHEW ok heres what ive considered getting after some research and asking around and crosschecking. heres whats what

ON3 T76 turbo with .96 AR
sts based 2.5" piping and odds and ends
Wyntonm 44mm Wastegate with 4 and 10 psi springs
EMUSA adjutable 50mm BOV
tbolt clamps
tilton pump with cooler
EMUSA 31x11x3 intercooler (decided ill figure out the foglights later lol)
Siemens 60# injectors
Racetronics 255 fuel pump and harness
glowshift red digital boost gauge
glowshift red digital fuel pressuregauge
MTX-L WB gauge
aeromotive fuel pressure regulator mounted on stock rail and returned to stock location at the back of car
Catch can
exhaust wrap from headers all the way to the turbo
Snow stage 1 water/meth injection kit
317 heads
LS9 head gaskets (.046 compressed giving 9.8:1 CR with 317 heads)
mild 22X ranged cam
PAC 1518 single beehive springs
LS6 oil pump
GM 2 bar MAP sensor
5 to 3 pin MAF adaptor with IAT sensor wire for 85mm gm MAF
frost base tune

evenyally will quick spool valve it after i research mre on how to actually get it to run lol but its in the works.
Shooting for 500HP with a good tune. gonna keep it under 10psi. starting with a 4lbs spring to ensure that.

ok first off before it starts, i know i need my stock manifolds to help spool and keep up effientcy. il get back to that when i get back to the states with my car. also, yes i know meth will yeld more hp and lower IATs.not doign meth, yet lol. Also yes i will have/do the tuning done very carfully nd metodically. so i will probably start with 4 psi and work my way up. Im sticking with the stock LS1. i know a turbo cam or other heads will yeld more power... sticking with what i got until later.

with that said, lets here some critiques while i compile parts. pics and progress will be posted as it develops. I thank Zombie, 1320, HRHohio, and ZL1killer for the inspiration. thanks for paving the way for us guys.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-27-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: updated my list of items so as to not get myself confused or changed mymind due to other reasons lol
Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No critiques here I plan to be following suit in the near future (all though I may wait until next winter so I don't have my car torn apart for the summer) but I am curious if something other than price steered you away from the oil-less turbo as that is the direction I intend to go. Also you mention you have full UMI suspension. I was curious if that included 3 point subframe connectors and what you have considered for the inherent clearance issue. Personally I was intending to run an oval charge pipe for that section.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

no i have the bolt-on two point.
i actually intend to get the oil-less eventually but for starting purposes and price im going with the On3 T76. Alot of people have been saying really good things, even on the regular journal bearings turbos. so im gonna try it out.
ive considered the oval pipe as well.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so whats the poing for the seperate oil system. why not plum it in with the stock oil sytem. dont wont to run the oil lines that far?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

thats the idea. also, i lose the turbo due to an oil failure, i know the engine wont lose oil and kill itself either. I also imagine it will be easy on the pump not to push oil from one end of the car to the other. shorter lines. less risk of an oil leak from a tear or a loose hose or something like that.
Also, makes it easier when i do decide to go oil-less from compturbo
Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What capacity oil system you planning on running back there? Debated about doing this myself as I dont want to run oil lines that far. Then again, dont want to have the separate system get too hot. Wonder if 3qts would be enough?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a custom RearMount setup for me using an On3 T76 Ball Bearing Turbo. Mandrel bent cold piping, scavenger pump, injectors, custom tune, etc.

Also, consider an LS9 Cam Swap. Had that done for me as well. Should get me to the 500+ goal I'm hoping for.

Good Luck!

=============
Baumholder, Germany 88-91
13th Chemical Company

Last edited by HRHohio; 05-22-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Personal Issues...
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

thank you very much. it gonna be a little longer now that im "leaving" very soon for the army and my time has been severly taken from me but on a good note, ill have some extra cash when i get back in a year. should be interesting.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 03-03-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
so whats the poing for the seperate oil system. why not plum it in with the stock oil sytem. dont wont to run the oil lines that far?
The point of a separate oil system is to feed and drain the turbo so its bearings are properly feed. Without a scavenge pump the turbos would never take in or let out oil.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP:

I thought you already had a TC70 ready to go?

Already upgrading before its even installed??
Old 04-23-2012, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any update on this?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Speed Freek
To the OP:

I thought you already had a TC70 ready to go?

Already upgrading before its even installed??
yeah i did, but it turned out i got a little "over-zealous" lol and it had a T3 inlet and not a T4. plus the more i read and research, the more it looks like i should just go with a T76 anyway lol
but the t70 was a good price so it wasnt that big of a deal. i might stick i in another car later (I4 or V6)

as for updates,
after being run around all of germany for training for deployment, turns out my orders got deleted SOOOOO lol
looks like ill be doing other stuff. like more training and alittle bit more time doing stuff to my car lol

next month gonna place an order for a on3 T76 .96 turbo and get this ball rolling. still wondering if i should get the ballbearing unit or not but ill have a month to decide on that lol the spare $300 could get me injectors. we will see

back on the hunt for sts starter parts lol
wish me luck
Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
yeah i did, but it turned out i got a little "over-zealous" lol and it had a T3 inlet and not a T4. plus the more i read and research, the more it looks like i should just go with a T76 anyway lol
but the t70 was a good price so it wasnt that big of a deal. i might stick i in another car later (I4 or V6)

as for updates,
after being run around all of germany for training for deployment, turns out my orders got deleted SOOOOO lol
looks like ill be doing other stuff. like more training and alittle bit more time doing stuff to my car lol

next month gonna place an order for a on3 T76 .96 turbo and get this ball rolling. still wondering if i should get the ballbearing unit or not but ill have a month to decide on that lol the spare $300 could get me injectors. we will see

back on the hunt for sts starter parts lol
wish me luck
Just an update on mine. I'm in the process or ordering the .81 housing (On3). I have the On3 T76 .96 Ball Bearing, but it just takes a little too long to spool up for my taste. On3 said that they will sell me just the .81 housing so I can swap that in and see if it spools up faster. Will let you know.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

so hey how bad was the .96 housing spooling? and if what i gather from your mods is right, other then the turbo setup and LS9 cam, im almost go the same base setup before the the turbo goes on.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

also wondering what gauges to get. boost gauge of course but im getting a triple pod and was wondering what others to get exactly. im going with glowshifts triple pod package. I already have a trans temp guage installed in the drivers side vent. looks clean. gotta get a pic of it later.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Fuel pressure, AFR(wideband, not some cheap *** narrowband dealio from autozoo), oil pressure, boost, those should get you for awhile...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JAX04
Fuel pressure, AFR(wideband, not some cheap *** narrowband dealio from autozoo), oil pressure, boost, those should get you for awhile...
oil pressure? is the one in the dash not enough? granted its some what vauge but...

so if i do a fuel pressure, Boost, and WB A/F gauge would be a good start right?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

well i finally made a final decision with no going back for now. got me an ON3 T76 .81AR with journal bearing coming.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You better have a good cooling system for the turbo oil or your turbo wont last long at all. Big feed and return lines with a good size cooler with a fan would be great.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

im rethinking the oil system idea i had. im thinking i might just have it as the original STS system has it just feed it from the engine and pump it back with a better oil pump. still wonding if i should run an oil-cooler and then pump it back. but for now for simplicitys sake and cost savings, for now im gonna keep it simple. i ll get it up and running first and then add in the other stuff first.

oil lines im going with -4AN feed line and -10an return lines all of course with proper an fittings. dont want leaks.

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)