Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 134 Likes on 106 Posts

AND DONE... there better not be any excuses this time lol i even tested it after i sent it to make sure the link was posted correctly. took me right to the individual post so the whole thread isnt on there lol
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

also decided to run the LS9 gaskets again, 1 cause they are desiged for boost lol and 2 compressed they equal to about 9.82:1 CR with 317 heads so i am gonna do this
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

woohoo! got my AEM meth kit and got alittle more cold side piping from a member. just figured i could use a few more pipes for those interesting bends lol
also got the rest of the litter transition pipe for the wastegate dump piping.
gonna lay everything out today and see how im gonna do this.
i do believe i have everything to get this started. gonna take a few things to get welded and then shuold be able to do the rest at home. figure ill mock up everything i can at home so that all the welding shop has to do is weld a few things into place. the only thing they really have to fab alittle is the exhaust pipes. i wish i had a mig welder lol but i cant justify getting a welder to my wife yet lol
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

so i laid out my piping in the garage, mind you i have all the couplers but i dont know where exactly to run it exactly, i got tons of extra piping mind you, but got the major items ready. i did have to order extra nozzles for the AEM kit but thats cheap.
the exhaust pipes obviously will be welded and will be fabricated to be alittle mroe realistic lol but gives you the idea of what im doing.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! Good looking mock up. So close you can taste it I bet!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

VERY! lol once my taxes fully come in im gonna get it started, that way i have funds for "extra" crap that happens when your not looking lol
Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

hey by the way, accorind to this schematic i found, which wire should i tap into for the oil pump to kick on with.

im thinking that grey 120 wire, but does that go to that bulk head plug in area where i messed with the wires for the hotwire kit, or do i have to go somewhere else for this? anyone? this i really need to figure out

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-26-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
hey by the way, accorind to this schematic i found, which wire should i tap into for the oil pump to kick on with.

im thinking that grey 120 wire, but does that go to that bulk head plug in area where i messed with the wires for the hotwire kit, or do i have to go somewhere else for this? anyone? this i really need to figure out
HAHAHAHA! Hey, do you have that in Engrish? That all looks Greek to me fella. Sorry, not much help with wiring diagrams. Makes my eyes hurt and my head spin. lol
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

lol yeah, it also doesnt help the picture got somewhat dstorted either lol but the top portion is mostly the important part. not sure why the pic came out ike that. i dont know why, but flow charts and wiring diagrams just make sence to me for ome reason. lol i can read this better then algebra lol
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

lol yeah, it also doesnt help the picture got somewhat dstorted either lol but the top portion is mostly the important part. not sure why the pic came out ike that. i dont know why, but flow charts and wiring diagrams just make sence to me for ome reason. lol i can read this better then algebra lol
I mean I get it, when it's simple (couple lines... couple resistors, couple switches, etc.) but for something as complex as this, my high school physics class (about 2-3 weeks on electricity) is too far in the past. LOL.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

guess who got a few things welded today! lol

mocked it up, then high temp painted the inlet pipe
Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my gas tank down, I cut a hole above the tank so the wiring would be easier. I can't remember what color the wire was that I use, but for some reason gray sounds right. This comes from the fuel pump relay and will kick the oil pump on when the fuel pump first kicks for for a few seconds to prime, then it only comes on when the fuel pump is on. I butt connected a wire off of that wire and ran it to a 4 post relay so there would be minimal pull from the fuel pump wire. It has worked great for me so far. If the snow doesn't keep me from getting to the shop tomorrow, I'll try to get a pic posted of my wiring setup.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fireburr
When I had my gas tank down, I cut a hole above the tank so the wiring would be easier. I can't remember what color the wire was that I use, but for some reason gray sounds right. This comes from the fuel pump relay and will kick the oil pump on when the fuel pump first kicks for for a few seconds to prime, then it only comes on when the fuel pump is on. I butt connected a wire off of that wire and ran it to a 4 post relay so there would be minimal pull from the fuel pump wire. It has worked great for me so far. If the snow doesn't keep me from getting to the shop tomorrow, I'll try to get a pic posted of my wiring setup.
yep i have a relay already wired to the oil pump. i pretty much have the oil pump wired like a secondary fuel pump. like so
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

i thought this was funny. someone asked me what my build cost me. ive actually been keeping a list of cost just to keep on budget and to keep track of what to get and what ive gotten.

build cost in parts thus far for eveything to go on the car with the list above is roughly 3595.

this isnt bad since this is EVERYTHING to have a rear mount turbo system properly to run on your car. the STS system costs twice that and you dont get gauges, larger turbo, proper sized injectors, fuel pump and wire harness, or other stuff that makes a rear mount function more effeciently.
now granted, with the sts system, you do get vehicle specific piping and pre fabed piping and whatnot so you do get that, but for $3000 more, that doesnt justify the cost. and mind you, almost EVERTHING ive boughten other then a few things, is brand new.

HPtuners is gonna add $699, frost base tune $200, and tick camshaft $742, to the build. plus what ever extras like welding. the inlet pipe only cost me $20 to weld together.

in total im looking at roughly $5237 + maby some welding labor.
still under the full $6000 sts kit that doesnt come with everything ive gotten, like a cam, tuner software, and whatnots. im doing pretty good.
if STS offered a kit that had EVERYTHING that i was doing to my car, they probably would sell it at APS twin turbo prices of $12000 which is rediculous
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

i fixed the diagram guys. if you could get rid of the old picture lol i had to save it as a paint file. not sure why half was offset but i fixed it. it shuold make sence now lol
Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

im also starting to consider more and more to refernce the wastegate at the intake manifold instead of the compressor. for some reason, people say it responds better intead of in the compressor. anyone with more info on this too?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

so i have a few more things to report, ill take some pictures when its light out again lol
installed the boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge, wideband gauge, and vacuum manifold log. also fixed the wiring so that my trans temp gauge actually dims when i turn the head lights on.

was really simple actually once i mounted the gauges in the gauge pillar pod and simplified the wiring. i pre fabed it so that it goes in as a unit. all the red 12volt switch wires bundled together, all the ground wires bunded together, and all the headlight switch wires bunded. the only one thats gonna be a hassle later is the wideband, but i am glad i set it on the botton pod position. the data serial cable, 2 analog sources, and wideaband cable sit just under above the vent lol but it shuold be ok. im not using most of them yet except the wideband.

all i gotta do now is hook a wastegate and BOV to the manifold. i also hooked up the boost reference hose to the FPR. its not getting pressure yet lol but its all hooked up so when i get the turbo on, it will be there when i need it.

i think tomorrow while im under the car ill also start putting the oil pump in there. just to get it ready to hook it up. the less i have to do the better when the turbos ready to go on it
the boost gauge is only getting vacuum right now lol but its reading -11 at idle. im assuming thats normalish. it moves been i apply the throttle. not sure what, it moved too fast lol its digital so its quick.

the fuel pressure guage reads 0 for now lol no fuel going through the FPR yet lol but its registered at zero so thats cool lol. i need to hook that up so i can check the fuel pressure.

tomorrow ill hook up the wideband sensor so i can check and see what my AFR is.

the vacuum manifold kit was great! had all the fittings, different diameter hoses and barbs to do everything! got it right off the booster. for now the two other ports are blocked off until i hook up the wastegate and BOV. the meth kit will have to t off something. the BOV hose should be ok for that since it will be the closest to tie into for that.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-26-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

well, got the wieband sensor... sencing lol

so those leaks around the cats were worse then i thought. im running at 16.0 almost consistanly. at cold start up it was at 12.5 at idle. that would have been good for a start on the turbo side lol but then it steadily climbed until it settled and stuck to about 16.0-15.9 and kinda bounced around that. that thing definitly gets hot lol i was doing the free air calibration and did it by the book where i had the brand new sensor unhooked, then hooked it but out of the exhaust, and then ran the car after calibrration was set. i gotta get ride of those cats. mind you i did put the sensor on the secound sensor mounting hole so yes its right after the aftermarket cat where it doesnt belong but im just seeing how it does for now. i think im gonna go get those resonators weled in place of the cats so i can get those pesky leaks sealed up, and i can get a truer AFR reading. ialso didnt hook it up to the dataloger so i have no idea what actually going on yet lol

but all in all everything is up and running, now to get that damn turbo on lol
i acutally started to take under panels off today and see how i want to run these pipes. i dont know how some of you go the pipe to go between the radiator and the engine but damn thats a tight fit! im gonna have to rethink the 3" pipe goin there.

And what the hell is that stupid little box next to the AIR pump!? that thing is ALL in the way for where i want to run the piping!! the hardest part seems like its gonn abe the intercooler portion! what a PITA to get that bumper off. ive only got those little panels on both sides of the portion onder the nose and that took me a minute. on top of that one of my headlights have finally given up on me and wont even go up anymore lol story of my life. so i cant get to the bolt need to unbolt the bumper.

so off to do some more welding i suppose. damn it lol now i know why alot of people that started with the base STS kit liked how it went in so much easier lol

so... anyone got that sts pipe that goes up to the intake between the engine and radiator? lol that would make this so much easier lol but im gonna do it.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

oh and heres some pics since photobucket finally decided to play along lol

Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

seriouslt though, anyone have any tips on doing the intercooler piping?

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)