Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Did your fuel pressure gauge come with all the bits to connect it to the fuel rail? I'm looking for something inexpensive to log fuel pressure with.
no, its just the fuel gauge, wireing, and sensor with 1/8npt.
you have to have at least a 4an to 1/8npt fitting to attach this to the stock fuel rail. i have an aeromotive fpr on my rail and it has a 1/8 npt port already on it so thats where mine is going.

its that or you can get a fuel fitting that goes inbetween you fuel rail and your fuel line that has a 1/8npt port on it. the only reason i dont recommend putting the electronic sensor on there is that some sensors are sensitive and require a dampener on them so that the pulses dont effect the readings on them, but I believe the glowshift sensor has this in it so you could do it this way.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

obx bullet resonators came in the mail today. they look really good.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

I know its a comsetic part of the whole deal, BUT DAMN!!! i love my 4" corsa clone tips!!! and with the 3" inlet they look BAD ***!!!! i cant WAIT TO GET THESE ON the car pics will follow
Old 02-13-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

and here they are. got the two OBX bullet muffler and then this other pipe that i might get replaced. the in and out are 3" but it necks down into what almost looks like 2.5 inside when the resonator baffles are im not sure id want this right off the turbo. the whole idea about it was that it had a 02 bing on it so all i have to do is have the rset of it welded up. with vbands and what not. ill see if i can have it replaced with a slightly larger one. that or just get a cheaper one form OBS that is a true 3" all the way thru. its even phsyically smaller then the other one with the 02 bung (not obx). i dont get that. why would they reduce the inside so much. i could understand maybe alittle tiny bit smaller then the outside but literally an entire inch? realy?

now the tips, GOD are those glorious! im almost tempted just to put these pieces on my car and call it a day lol

Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for answering the question, that was very helpful.

The exhaust looks great, too bad the resonators neck down. Do the same guys make one that doesn't? The tips look excellent, I understand why you are excited.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

well if the guy doesnt have one, ill just get another OBX resonator and use that and then just put an o2 bung somewhere in that arear for the wideband. the OBX is cheaper too so i dont get it lol but oh well. we will see.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll be ok. Check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...over-pipe.html

For a setup like ours (rear mount), our exhaust pipe from manifolds to turbo is all considered crossover pipe. Our tightest restriction is our T4 Flange. I was actually considering cutting out my 3 inch I-pipe and necking it down to 2" to increase velocity going to the turbo. Not to mention less surface area for heat loss. According to the thread, 2" crossover pipe is good for up to 1000rwhp.

Check out the thread and let me know what you think. Maybe I'm missing something or getting something wrong.

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

thats fine for the upstream, but this particular resonator with the O2 bung was ment for the outlet side of the turbo, so a continuous 3" route out of the turbine is what im looking for
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Aha... Gotcha. I was a little confused on how you were routing things. Yeah, in that case, You may want to upsize that. I don't run a resonator at all, anywhere. lol. It's a little loud, but throaty. I was actually thinking of adding 2 bullets where my cats were. You may try that first and see how it sounds before adding the 3rd resonator at the end.
(Makes sense now what you're doing. Any reason for running the O2 wideband so far back? Just curious)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

that actually exactly what im doing right now lol the 2 OBX resonators are going in place of the cats... 1 to clear up the exhaust stream and make sure i dont get cat material in the turbo and to kinda make it look like im running cats lol and 2 to sorta clear up the tone. the rear resonator is there for the rest of the clean up to try and keep it deep and some what smoothe on the street and it has the O2 bung so that i dont have to weld it on there but if i have too ill juct get another OBX resonator and do it myself.
sorry about not being clean, i might have been typing angry again and was thinking faster then i could type lol

on the O2 sensor portion, ive been reading around and a lot of people say to place the O2 sensor after the turbo to help keep readings consistant and prevent premature sensor failure. since our turbos are so far back, its a little longer travel.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

got my 8 vband kits time to get welding lol
vacuum manifold kit looks nice. lots of various sized tubes and barbed fittings to totally customize it.
also ordered a few other things. a stock 93-97 radiator cover going for that really undercover brother look lol nothing out of the ordinary going on here lol

20ft of 1/4 vacuum hose. gotta make that loooong stretch from the vavle cover to the fresh air intake to help ventilate. also replace any highly worn and old vac lines on my 98 since im doing everything up.

got a few 1.75" piping for the wastegate dump/exhaust portion. gotta make those 4" tips useful for somthing lol

and 100'x2" 1/16" black exhaust wrap with stainless steel ties. ill also get some hightemp paint to help keep in some of the heat as well. and to clean up some of the aged surface rust on the i pipe.

its actually a shame to have to cover some of that pretty stainless steel under the car but the ends justifty the means. im glad to be able to have a chance to fix some leaks in by replacing the cats. thery have been a pain im my butt ever since i had someone weld them in for me. guy welded them in very poorly to say the least.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-14-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

did alittle test fitting with the vacuum manifold. it is nice an compact. the manifold itself fits in the palm of my hand. and has 4 ports. i only need 3 right now so it actually works out very well. alot of the other manifolds ive seen have like 6-8 portds and dont even have abunch of various fittings. this one will work quite well. pics will follow soon

also got my 24" silcon hose. gonna use most of it to route under the axle for now just to get things started.
im gonna see if i can get the charge piping above the UMI kmember, but im not promising anything lol

pics of my frustation lol
OBX on the left, autogrim on the right. can you tell the difference. which brings me to another thing, whys the autogrim casing so much bigger when it reduces in size on the inside where the OBX doesnt and is more compact?

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

welp, got to ordering again lol
got stainless pieces for a wastegate pipe starting with a 1.75" (44mm) pipe into 2", then 2" to 3" for the tips.
also got the NGK Spark Plugs BKR7E-11 5791 to run cooler plugs.

also decided to say screw it and just order an another 3" OBX resonator and then just weld an o2 bung on it. might as well. it would take less time and effort then trying to get this one switched out. didnt really pay all that much for it so i can use it for somthing else later im sure lol

well pretty much got everything i need other then a meth kit, turbo cam, a new base tune from frost, and hp tuners. im sure theres a few nickle and dime crap that ill need to get here and there but i think I got everything i need to start this to get it up and running.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

just making the rounds and making sure i have everything, other then the cam kit, hptuners, meth kit, and trunion upgrade; ive have all this in my garage or on the way in the mail as im typing this.
could you guys take a look and see if ive forgotten anything?

INTAKE
Cone filter tucked into wheel well
3” intake into turbo
2.5” charge piping
T-bolt clamps and reinforced silicon hose couplers
31x11x3 intercooler
BOV and pipe
LS6 intake manifold
LS6 valley pan
4 port vacuum manifold

ENGINE (this stuff will be installed later)
Stock 5.7L LS1
Tick custom rear turbo cam 226/235 .605/.610 114+2
Tick supplied valve springs
Tick supplied pushrods
LS2 timing chain
Stock Heads (317 with .048 LS9 gaskets later for 9.8CR)
Comp cams Rocker trunion upgrade
ARP crank bolt
Head studs

EXHAUST
OBX headers
Catless 3” ypipe with OBX resonators
Stock I-pipe
Sts style T4 header pipe with 44mm wastegate port
3” after turbo resonator
2” Wastegate dump exhaust
3” turbine exhaust
4” corsa clone tips/3” inlets
100'x2" x1/16" black exhaust wrap

TURBO SPECIFIC
ON3 T76 w/.81 AR (.96 later)
Compressor Wheel 76mm
.80 a/r
4” Inlet and 2.5” Compressor Outlet
Inducer- 76.71mm - Exducer- 102.36mm
Exhaust Housing T-4 Flange
.96 ar Exhaust Housing
3.0" Vband outlet
Inducer- 74.5mm - Exducer- 65mm
44MM wastegate 4psi spring (10psi spring for later)
55mm BOV
AEM Meth kit

TRANSMISSION
Stock 4L60E
Revmax stage 5 billet cover 3200 stall
B&M tran cooler
Glowshift trans temp gauge

OIL SYSTEM
LS6 oil pump
4an feed
Summit check valve
10an drain
4psi hobb switch to piezo buzzer alert
Gear scavenger oil pump and custom harness
10an return line into oil pan

PCV system
LS6 valley pan with PCV valve
Catch can
Check valve
Vent line ran to fresh air intake tube from valve spring cover

FUEL SYSTEM
Stock fuel rails
Racetronix 225 fuel pump and harness
Aeromotive boost referenced fuel pressure regulator with 3/8 line return
60lbs siemens injector

ELECTICAL
NGK Spark Plugs BKR7E-11 5791 gapped at .032
MSD wires
Stock coils

ENGINE MANAGEMENT
Innovate MTX-L wideband
Glowshift digital boost/vac gauge
Glowshift digital fuel pressure gauge
Frost base tuned (HP tuners later)
GM 2 bar MAP sensor
GM 85mm MAF sensor
IAT sensor in MAF used, using wire adaptor.

MISC ITEMS
GM 93-97 radiator cover
Glowshift 3 gauge a-pillar pod

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-21-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

got my "new" raditator cover. a poor 95 5.7L provided the part lol guess i shuold remove that off of it or it will confuse people when they look under the hood and see two engine data plates lol
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like it's coming along.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

yep! and i got a AEM water/meth injection kit for cheap today and some extra stuff with it!! freakin awsome! got it for $220 instead of the new $400 that they go for. ill post up a pre-mock up of everything oncce i get everything in the mail. this thing is going on this year lol i even filled out a frost tune sheet for my base tune.
just need the base tune (helps me to start from somwhere lol), camshaft kit, and hp tuners.
heres what i got
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-Water-Me...vip=true&rt=nc

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

got some more pipe for the wastegate dump tube for the driverside exhuast tip and got the replacement OBX resonator. wasnt even gonna deal with these autogrim guys. ive been trying to send them pics of the wrong item they sent and for some reason they cant see the attachments which ive sent with 3 different emails and they still cant see it. i can eat $69 on something i can use on somthing else later i suppose but im still not happy abuot it though but not crazy mad about it.
stoked about the meth kit coming in the mail
come on taxes so i can get that cam!! lol
Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
got some more pipe for the wastegate dump tube for the driverside exhuast tip and got the replacement OBX resonator. wasnt even gonna deal with these autogrim guys. ive been trying to send them pics of the wrong item they sent and for some reason they cant see the attachments which ive sent with 3 different emails and they still cant see it. i can eat $69 on something i can use on somthing else later i suppose but im still not happy abuot it though but not crazy mad about it.
stoked about the meth kit coming in the mail
come on taxes so i can get that cam!! lol
Send them a link to this thread. Hahaha
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

LOL actually you know what, thats not a bad idea lol im doing that right now lol

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)