Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

lol way ahead of ya,
I ordered this instead of cheap thin aluminum piping

2-1/2" OD x 2-1/4" ID x 60" x 1/8" Wall 6061 Aluminum Round Tube-->2.5"OD x .125

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200664544745
nice and thick and still aluminum thanks for the heads up though. im pretty sure though my stainless steel ypipe will take most of the scrapin anyway lol it sits lower on the driverside then anythign else on the car. im thinkin though to knotch the frame under the drivers seat to allow the pipes to sit up higher
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
lol way ahead of ya,
I ordered this instead of cheap thin aluminum piping

2-1/2" OD x 2-1/4" ID x 60" x 1/8" Wall 6061 Aluminum Round Tube-->2.5"OD x .125

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200664544745
nice and thick and still aluminum thanks for the heads up though. im pretty sure though my stainless steel ypipe will take most of the scrapin anyway lol it sits lower on the driverside then anythign else on the car. im thinkin though to knotch the frame under the drivers seat to allow the pipes to sit up higher
Oh Nice!!!! Yeah, I couldn't believe how scraped my stuff was in certain spots. One of the drawbacks of a rear mount, especially if you car is lowered.

Glad you're on track.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

yep, not im just making up the wstegate piping so i can have a driverside exhaust lol ill mimic the sts wastgate pipe but will be have 4" corsa clones on it gotta try and hide some of the turbo stuff i figure if i get the material and do the prep work myself, a welding shop wont try and charge me an arm and a leg to weld it. makes me wish i had a nice tig welder at home to weld up all this nice stainless im about to get. im gonna be watching who ever will be welding my pipes up like a HAWK! lol

alo so got some super critical bolts that i COMPLETLY forgot to get... 4 studs to bolt the turbo to the inlet pipe LOL that would help huh lol
Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Haha yeah, that might come in handy.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

lol i know. i was so fucused on the harder to fab and appropriate items that i realized i forgot these 4 little items lol but oh well, im still in the build up phase. im just happen i finally found a large intercooler that wasnt rediculously expensive. im also happy i got that inlet pipe made. that was the only one i cant really fab up on my own due to not haivng a welding machine in my garage lol one day though... on day lol
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Haha yeah, that might come in handy.
hey had a question for ya and others too but since your build is so close to mine i wanted your specific input;
what do you thin about having a "sump" line at the turbo drain.
Im think that imediatly out the turbo to have a short 12 , 14 or even 16 AN line going back into a 10 an then into the oil scavenger pump. im figuring the slight larger section of the oil line can act as a slight sump for the oil pump when under high load. it will still drain directly into the oil pump path but the larger line will allow more oil to drain pre scavenger so that it has a chance to catchup. what do you think?

somthing like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeroquip-Sta...1ffe08&vxp=mtr

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 01-17-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
hey had a question for ya and others too but since your build is so close to mine i wanted your specific input;
what do you thin about having a "sump" line at the turbo drain.
Im think that imediatly out the turbo to have a short 12 , 14 or even 16 AN line going back into a 10 an then into the oil scavenger pump. im figuring the slight larger section of the oil line can act as a slight sump for the oil pump when under high load. it will still drain directly into the oil pump path but the larger line will allow more oil to drain pre scavenger so that it has a chance to catchup. what do you think?

somthing like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeroquip-Sta...1ffe08&vxp=mtr
Personally, I don't think it will do much good for anything. I tell ya why. When you're pushing oil and pulling oil, all the air in the line should be going away, or at least that's my impression. So in essence, you have a line without air (Especially if you do the check valve). When you shut off the engine, all the oil in the line should (theoretically) not go anywhere. The scavenger pump can't pull oil because it would have to replace that space with something (oil). That's just my 2 cents, but hell, what do I know. lol
I think you may be overthinking the setup. Regardless of what we do, there will always be SOME oil sitting on the bearings and seals. We just have to come to the realization that with our setup, every now and then, when we leave the car sit for a few days, there will be some seepage and we'll have to burn off some oil. I really don't think theres anything we can do.

Just my thoughts, but I'm open to hear other input.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

i was just wondering if would help. i know some of the twin oil pump guys use a sump to help with circulation.

i was just thinking of how the oil pump could use the extra room to relieve excess oil build up in the pre pump drain hose.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

OH ya! scored some 317 heads for $80 off my favorite aution website lol even has rocker arms so i can upgrade the rockers with the trunion upgrade without even having to mess with my car yet

i also got my 4an nylon braided line and fitting for the wastegate reference line. making sure that bastard doesnt ever come off lol and it looks pretty neat too lol

got my 8 psi spring too. OH on a side note on that too, Wyntonm sent me a 10psi spring for free lol wasnt expecting that one but i can up the PSI to 14 if i wanted too lol gonna hold off on that for awhile though lol tell you what though, those nylon braided lines are SO much easier to put on to their respected fittings. so much easier lol

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 01-18-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

so now im sitting and waiting... and thinking (very dangerous lol) and im wondering about my PCV catchcan situation. wondering if i should run dual catchcans or just stick to what i got.
just for reminders sake, I have a LS6 valley cover so i have the PCV setup as an LS6 PCV setup.
thus far it looks like this, got a check valve waiting to go on it when i get the turbo hooked up

any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

im wondering if i should run dual catch cans. still researching this alittle further.

got a few mroe things on order. Got my 317 heads on the way. I also thought of an interesting way to mount the long charge pipe; use some jegs 2.5" insulated fuel pump mounting brackets. They are t-bolt clamps with 2 bolt mounting base with insulated inner lining. Think that should work pretty good and they look like they shold keep the pipe nice and tight up against the body. Im thinking im gonna knotch the frame so the charge pipe can run nice and straight right up against the body. i figure a little 2.5" knotch shouldnt compromise much with subframe connectors in there lol i wish i could fit 3 points in there with it but oh well lol

still wondering about that 1" of12an larger diameter return pipe and then back to 10 an to the pump and then back into the oil pan.

Also, anyone running a return line check vavle post pump? that way no oil runs back intot he turbo by chance if im parked on a hill or something like that. the summit check valve has a 4psi cracking pressure. im gonna use one on the feed side. just thoughts. i paying extra attention to the oil system so that i have most of my bases covered.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a MIGHTYMOUSE catch can
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

ill have to look into that. thanks!

well i got bored lol so i mocked up my adjustable FPR. its a preliminary mock up to see how i want it, but not too bad huh? lol

running the line between everything was the hardest part.

mock up in the rear. got it somewhat lined up

running the line in the rear

preliminary mock up up front. tighten down to make sure nothing vibrates loose.
so far i like it. I might tighten up the line around the head somewhere. HArd line is cheap so i got 25ft of it laying around lol i still gotta hook up the rear but for now this is how it is.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Wow. Looks nice! You did a good job!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

thanks, i gotta clean it up some. get it alittle closer to the line "bundle" lol i still gotta get a 4an line and a 10 an line in that area.

im thinking of mocking up the oil lines to get it started tomorrow. gotta get some sheet metal screws and electrical connectors so i can wire the pump in, or at least start wiring it in. if i had a 10 an cap, id tap the drain port in the pan. but unfortunatly i gotta wait on that lol so excited this is finally getting under way

what i like about the hard line is its really low key. if you looked under the car and didnt know better, you wouldnt even know it was there. later im gonna try and put some fuel line clamps to clean it up alittle.

On a scary note, its a good thing i went under the car today, found part of the racetronics wireloom baked onto the header collector. thank god i hadnt really driven my car all that much. the loom was melted but the wire was fine. i since zip tied it to the new return line lol it must have wiggled loose a tag and fell alittle. glad nothing happened

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 01-22-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah. Lucky you found it now and not later. My luck usually goes the other way. hahaha
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

got a few more items in the mail:
got my 3" aluminum piping so i can fab up the fresh air intake on the turbo. still gotta get a filter sock but those are pretty cheap.
got my little premade 2.5" s pipe for some of those interesting areas lol
got my 10lbs spring so i can up the boost when im ready. i can even combine it to get 14psi total when im ready for that. not anytime soon though lol baby steps lol
got a couple of 4an elbow fittings

ordered a glowshift red digital boost gauge today too. so i can actually stick somthing in the 3 gauge apillar pod lol dont worry, its not in the car yet lol im not rolling around with an empty pillar pod lol

Didnt get a chance to finish the return line setup today, had other business to attend to but i think i might be able to get it done tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

got the rear fuel line adaptor fitting on the return line so all i got to do is plug it in. I was going to do it today but then realize that I dont have a shrader valve tool lol so ill have to wait
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

made my oil pump and relay harness for the scavenger pump. all i gotta do is tap into to the fuel pump power supply with the relay and then run the positive wire to the battery or altarnator post with a fuse inline and im all set to run the pump. i even tested the pump to make sure i had the wires running in the right direction and had the hobb swtich on the right side lol i put a little water on both sides and then touched the leads to the battery. turned right on with no issue. definitly need to mount it securly lol has a good kick to it lol
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

and heres the semi final product. Pretty well done if i can say so myself.

Does this look about right? im still wondering where exactly to hook into for the old fuel pump wiring harness for powered switch.

also just making sure, does the Hobb switch wiring look right? the buzzer will be mounted inside. ill run longer wires to make this happen.

also mocked up the long charge pipe a bit. pump the mounting clamps on to help keep in place.

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)