Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need Opinions for sub and amp setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need Opinions for sub and amp setup

i have a 97 ta convertible and desperately need some stereo improvements since i got a full exhaust. right now i have an alpine cda-9815 headunit w/ 2 6-1/2 infinity 63.5i triaxial in the front and 2 6-1/2 polk ex365 coaxial in the rear. i was thinking about putting a 10" audiobahn bass tube in the rear with a 400W mono amp, but im not sure if that will be enough. i want some decent bass and be able to hear it with the top down. the area i got to work with in the trunk is 12" depth and 29" wide. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Back in the staging lane

It just depends on how much you want to spend. I know the verts have a different trunk than the hatch's so it's hard for me to say what will fit in there. I would just slap two 10's or 12's in. You might not hear a basstube much with the top down.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Launching!

good luck with this.I had a stang convert same problem I tried tubes and subs in a platform neither souded good.I finnally took out the rear seats and had a custom box with 3 jl 10w6s and a punch 800 put in that seemed ok but still doesnt compare to a hard top car.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

You will get less output in a convertable compared to a hardtop.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah...you really dont want your sub in the back seat either...it will sound like trash. The sub needs to be in the trunk.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Yeah...you really dont want your sub in the back seat either...it will sound like trash. The sub needs to be in the trunk.
mine didnt sound like trash they just didnt have anything to hit off of to get all the thump,but the sound quality was great just would have been better in a hard top
Old 03-24-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tonyt123blue
mine didnt sound like trash they just didnt have anything to hit off of to get all the thump,but the sound quality was great just would have been better in a hard top
Yeah...I know what you are saying. I put mine behind the seat just to hear it and I didnt like it at all. Doesnt give the waves anything to bounce off of and the sound waves have no time to mature before they reach your ears. The sound just seems kinda...bland.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a 95 gt vert that i originally had a 1000 watt 12 inch sub nt eh back and pushed 450 rms watts to it...all i got was a muddy bass note and alot of rattles. sounded ok but with the top down it just wasnt worth the money i put into it. so i picked up 2 10 inch (400 watts RMS Rockford fosgates), and ran a 1500 watt 2 channel amp to them. i eneded up with 350 rms watts to each sub. i put them on the bottom where the back seat used to be, facing upwards. i used a rear seat delete kit for the mustang and added some height to it and i angled them a tiny bit towards the front but not much. I wish i had a picture of this because it actually looked pretty cool. of course it didnt feel the same as the same set up i have in the hatch of my 98z w/ttops but it was enough bump to sound good and feel good as well.

if you wanna idea on how to make such a set up pm me and i can give you some details. i didnt doa write up on this in the shitstain. i mean moostang, i mean mustang dammit, but i can probably pull some from teh memory banks to help you out.
good luck
Travis