Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water/Meth kit trunk mount. Will this be track legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/Meth kit trunk mount. Will this be track legal?

I wanted to mount this in my engine compartment area but it will be too close to heat no matter what I do. I have enough hose to mount it in the trunk. This is the location I chose to help keep my weight more equal in all four corners with me in the car. I have not mounted it yet. It is just sitting in there. I just wanted to make sure that by mounting it there I won't have any issues passing tech at the tracks.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i think all you need is a rear firewall thats .060 thick or oem, so my vote is that you are good to go.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep just needs a firewall and vented outside of the car.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How close to a heat source is it?

You can't mount it in your old windshield washer fluid spot or battery tray?

It's not going to catch on fire and blow you up if that's what you are worried about.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Good to know.

The only place I have is on my firewall. The turbos are where my battery was. The downpipes come to close to it on the firewall. The pump and the tank would be closer than a 1/4" to the down pipe. Just didn't want to take a chance that close to the hottest area in my engine compartment.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Since you can use winshield washer fluid as the fluid in your water/methanol system, I can't believe anyone would care where you mount it. You could even simply tap into your winshield washer reservoir as the source fluid and still use your windshield washers.

... Larry S.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MislMan
Since you can use winshield washer fluid as the fluid in your water/methanol system, I can't believe anyone would care where you mount it. You could even simply tap into your winshield washer reservoir as the source fluid and still use your windshield washers.

... Larry S.
My car doesn't have a reservoir anymore or I would. However, I just finished it all up and tested it. Can't wait to drive it tomorrow. I have it set to come on around 11lbs of boost. I think it looks clean and well hidden. You don't see it at all under the hood. Only can tell when I open the trunk.

Thanks for the help all.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, you may find having it come on sooner around 7-8psi will benefit you more.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know. I did my first long trip today. I drove it over 3 hrs roundtrip on a tank of fuel. Averaged 17mpg! Only jumped on it about a half dozen times. When I got home it didn't look as though I had used any of the water injection. lol I know it worked though. The light would come on just like it was supposed to around 12 psi of boost.

We played with the tune when I got there. I am trying to remember but I think we added a little timing in the area that I will launch off the transbrake from. I think from 3000-3600 we added a little timing back in. Something about not blowing the flame out while on the transbrake and 2 step.

I hope that my first tnt on Sunday doesn't get rained out.

Quick Reply: Water/Meth kit trunk mount. Will this be track legal?