Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling problem input please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling problem input please?

I have a 67 camaro I put ls1 6 speedd into. my problem is i pout aluminum radiator 16 pound cap and overflow tank. and for some reason the cap keeps spewing over everytime i get on the car. and blowing coolant under the hood. what would casue this? could it be the crappy china cap or another issue? I can drive low rpms and never really blow any out but eveytime i get on it it spews it out of the cap. i thought that was the purpose of nme putting the puke tank on it...
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there are two types of caps - one type vents to the atmosphere (shoots all over the engine bay) and the second type vents out of the side of the radiator filler neck into a puke tank. Maybe you have the atmosphere type of cap installed when you really should have the puke tank type installed?

Originally Posted by jwilsonf
I have a 67 camaro I put ls1 6 speedd into. my problem is i pout aluminum radiator 16 pound cap and overflow tank. and for some reason the cap keeps spewing over everytime i get on the car. and blowing coolant under the hood. what would casue this? could it be the crappy china cap or another issue? I can drive low rpms and never really blow any out but eveytime i get on it it spews it out of the cap. i thought that was the purpose of nme putting the puke tank on it...
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks I will double check in see which I got. I knowcwhen I bought this one itwas supposed be for over flow but u know how smart autozone is...
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is not the cap type, but the filler neck on the radiator that makes the difference. My suggestion would be to buy a real name brand (Stant, Edelman) cap, 16 pound plus that does not have the lever vent, designed for your radiator. Take a look at the filler neck, do you see any imperfections in the sealing surface? If so clean them up. Make sure that the depth of the sealing ring on the cap is greater than the depth of the filler neck so it can make a seal.
Do you have the steam vent off the front of the heads set up correctly?
Do you see foam in the radiator after you have the puke?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Default cap

no foam, I drilled and tapped top of water pump for the steam line...
Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked the cap/neck for fit? Also look at the od of the cap rubber seal ring for match. As you are finding all caps are not the same. You may need to go to a real parts store and look at a paper catalog with line drawings to get the right one. I used a Northern LS swap aluminum radiator and I am pretty sure that I have a Stant 16# cap. I will take a look to see if I have the part # for you.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure that there are two different types of caps - ones that vent to the atmosphere through the top of the radiator cap, and one that vents out of the side of the filler neck where a puke tank should be hooked up. I am 99.99% sure I saw these two types distinguished in the Stant catalog.

Of course, to properly use a puke-tank style cap, you need to have a puke tank hooked up to the radiator filler neck.

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
It is not the cap type, but the filler neck on the radiator that makes the difference.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Default cap

I wwent and bought a stant 16 pound. checked the lip it was a little jacked up on the side. I knocked it back to level and this cap fits a while lot tighter than the last one. I havent had a chinace to drive it yet but crossing my fingers this was the issue.

Quick Reply: Cooling problem input please?