Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's TOOO Loud...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default It's TOOO Loud...

I'm in the Navy, stationed in Hawaii. I live on a pretty small base.. I'm friends with most of the base security guys, but residents have been complaining about my Rumbler. The thing is.. I can't complain.. I have to agree this thing is LOUD.

My question for you guys is: I'd like to put a muffler where the stock muffler should be. If I put a muffler there, should I leave the Rumbler bullet in place or have it removed.

I'm thinking of either the Hooker AeroChamber or Borla... Also would I see a performance decrease from this change?

Thanks for any responses!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sure you will see a slight change in performance to the hooker catback, i went from the loudmouth (with lt's which lasted a day before i got tired of it), to the hooker catback, and i felt a slight difference. im not sure about with borla though. hopefully some one else can chime in about the borla.

so i felt a slight difference but not enough to make me complain. thing is...at idle it is quiet. at higher rpms and wot it screams bloody murder i love it!
T
Old 03-24-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

One more question.. Since I'll just be either welding in a hooker or borla muffler. Would essentially mean.. that I have either a hooker or borla catback exhaust now. It'll be 3" from the headers back since I'll still be using the Rumbler piping?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same setup as you. I cut out the section where the Loud Mouth resonator would be (the span of the y-pipe that is straight before it goes over the 10 bolt) and I installed a 18 inch Dynomax bullet. Really cut down the drone and rasp, alot quieter and it was under 30.00 @ the time.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Motorboater

i would say leave that resonator in the intermediate pipe where it is and put another one in the cross pipe where a muffler would normally be. if you put a full muffler it will prolly be too quiet compared to now. try tossing in a 3" dynomax bullet there..that's prolly what is in the I pipe right now. between the two i bet it'll quiet it down enough and sound very nice.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Launching!

I believe i have something close to what ur talking about doing. Ive got Macs with ORY with a bullet muffler right after the y then going into a borla system. It sounds badass at idle, and it screams at WOT. Ive got more done to the car now and its loud as a banshee but still sounds good. Id try the borla out, quites it down a bit and you can change the plate to control how loud ur car is. JP
Old 03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
try tossing in a 3" dynomax bullet there..that's prolly what is in the I pipe right now. between the two i bet it'll quiet it down enough and sound very nice.
That's what I am talking about a 3" wide 18" long Dynomax.

I also have two small 2.5" Dynomax's out back, my cam + the off road y and headers is really loud.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you thought about adding high flow cats? that would quiet it down a good deal but still have that same rumbler sound. personally i think it would be sorta shitty to lose that tone, i heard a few sound clips and man that thing sounds great.

if you are going toplace a muffler in the I pipe...you are going to need a 3 inch muffler and im not sure how the hooker (non cross flow) muffler is going to sound and im not really sure about ground clearance. the borla muffler is relatively small, but im not so sure about the aero chamber...might wanna do some measurin gunder the car to make sure you can get a muffler to fit well under there.

good luck
Travis
Old 03-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Humanitarian

If you don't want to lose the rumble and save money just go with the bullet's. Everything else is too much money and will rob too much power.