Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions switching from LM1 to...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions switching from LM1 to...

Hey guys, trying to get an idea of what to switch my LM1 over to. Got a few tickets the other night and don't really want to drop another $300 in tickets because of this loud *** exhaust. I've checked out ls1sounds and listened to dozens of clips and got a real good idea of how the "tone" of a few exhaust options are, but its hard to judge volume on a sound track. I live in a small town so comparing others exhaust is just a non-existant option.

A few ideas i've had are a magnaflow catback (friend of mine has, going to let me try it out this week) or to modify my current set up with a magnaflow bullet. I like the sound of the "magnamouth" but again my concerns are how loud is it compared to the lm1 resonator. My 96 z28 had a hooker aerochamber catback, sounded great at idle and cruise, and really woke up at WOT.

I don't want the car so quiet that it sounds stock, but I also don't want the bullseye thats on my car now any larger - these city cops are such dicks. Opinions and suggestions? I'm open to just about any option that isn't stupid expensive and sounds good.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in your place I would put the Power-flo conversion on the Loudmouth and put a cutout where the bullet was originally.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

magnaflows sound good and are tame. if you can find one an SLP DD is very nice.

even with LTs and hollowed cats its not obnoxious.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went from a lm1 to a magnaflow, i really liked the magnaflow, but its not a dd and just didnt sound mean enough for me, but if your getting sound tickets i would go with a magnaflow, i have tsp duals and couldnt be happier, it was nice having a magnaflow /cutout , gives ya 2 exhaust in 1, the powerflo is really nice but is not a cheap swap over, i would swap to a magnamouth , if its still to loud add 2 smaller bullets before the tips, and add a cme , cme tips i have always felt cleans up the sound alot
Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

its prob the way you drive. i have ur setup and its dead quiet in 4th driving normal.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Gotta say that is the first time I have heard someone refer to LT, ORY, and LM1 "dead quiet"

I think you've had that set up too long and should have your hearing checked lol

Even cruising behind a car with that setup I can hear it over my dumped duals on the interstate.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my LM1 with a Magnaflow and am pretty happy with it. I kinda miss the loudness of the LM1, but the tone of the Magnaflow is so much better that I'm ok with it even if it is a touch on the quiet side. And it should be perfect once I get some headers and ORY on. My vote goes to Magnaflow!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm switching my Dynomax bullet that came with my TSP Rumbler for a Borla XR-1 or Magnamouth pretty soon, haven't decided yet. I've heard the Magnaflow bullet quiet things down a lot from the SLP Loudmouth. I'd go that way, it's a lot cheaper than going with a whole new cat back
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a custom magnaflow exahust would you be interested in a trade plus a little cash on your side?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by needtransam
I have a custom magnaflow exahust would you be interested in a trade plus a little cash on your side?
Me or the OP?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies guys! My buddy brought over his magnaflow cat back to let me try it out ( he runs duals dumped). If I don't like it I am probably going to try the magnaflow bullet in place of the lm, it should be louder than the full cat back but quieter than the lm1 right?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28clark
Thanks for the replies guys! My buddy brought over his magnaflow cat back to let me try it out ( he runs duals dumped). If I don't like it I am probably going to try the magnaflow bullet in place of the lm, it should be louder than the full cat back but quieter than the lm1 right?
It will be a lot louder than the full cat back and quieter than the lm1. It will sound good
Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Gotta say that is the first time I have heard someone refer to LT, ORY, and LM1 "dead quiet"

I think you've had that set up too long and should have your hearing checked lol

Even cruising behind a car with that setup I can hear it over my dumped duals on the interstate.
Haha maybe. It just seems very tame to me at low rpms.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

I'm also cammed, and the only time LM is dead quiet is when the car is not running!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28clark
I'm also cammed, and the only time LM is dead quiet is when the car is not running!
How much louder did the cam make the lm? I am going cammed soon
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'll tell you this much, don't stretch out first gear leaving a gas station. City cops don't like it! Obnoxious is the best way to describe it. I like it but I don't like the tickets I got, so it's getting changed.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I vote MagnaMouth.

Then again, maybe I'm partial. LOL.

I had a Magnaflow CB on my 2000 Trans Am and HATED it. For me, it was just too quiet; not much more noticible than stock.

That's just me though. I never have been a fan of a cross flow muffler.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned

Can't believe you got a ticket for the car being too loud! I've had my LM1 on my car for over a year now, I pass by cops all the time, I guess they aren't that concerned with it in my town, I should count my blessings I guess.

If I were you, I wouldn't switch out the entire cat-back, that's too expensive, unless you really truly want a different sound setup completely. What I really recommend is a Borla-Mouth. Keep the setup and get the Borla muffler. It keeps it loud, but gives it more tone so it's not obnoxiously loud like it is right now.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Banned

Just read you also have LT's, so with a LM1 set-up that is OBNOXIOUSLY loud and raspy. Now I understand why I never did get a ticket. Lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Just read you also have LT's, so with a LM1 set-up that is OBNOXIOUSLY loud and raspy. Now I understand why I never did get a ticket. Lol.
And I have a 228r, I didn't argue with the excessive noise ticket at all, what pissed me off was the reckless driving ticket he gave me for not using my turn signal to switch lanes. There was no traffic behind me as I was waiting on cars to pass to get around a semitruck. Oh well, just glad I have the money to take care of them. Gotta pay to play, right?

I will miss the cold start ups when I clock out of work though, I've scared two coworkers pretty bad when it starts up. Some funny stuff!

Quick Reply: Suggestions switching from LM1 to...