Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump swap on a C5 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump swap on a C5 Vette

Are there any how to's on an oil pump swap on a C5 Vette on here or anywhere?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ls1howto.com/
Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man, If your going to go that far, you might as well throw a cam in there.. I just did my cam, new Ported ls6 oil pump and a bunch of other stuff. To get at it, you'll have to remove the water pump, power steering, rack, balancer and timing cover.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slammedc5
Man, If your going to go that far, you might as well throw a cam in there.. I just did my cam, new Ported ls6 oil pump and a bunch of other stuff. To get at it, you'll have to remove the water pump, power steering, rack, balancer and timing cover.
I already have or had a cam and head swap done, yeah I know pretty stupid I wish the guy that did it would have said somthing about it.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bummer, you mean he did all that work and didnt change the oil pump? Its super easy when you get to it. I was able to center my timing chain cover (seal) and the balancer with out an alignment tool. Its pretty easy actually. Put a little oul on the oring before you slide it over the pickup tube. Sucks you have to go thru this for just the pump.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL freakin shitty.
hey if your not happy with your cam, now is your chance to swap it out.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slammedc5
Bummer, you mean he did all that work and didnt change the oil pump? Its super easy when you get to it. I was able to center my timing chain cover (seal) and the balancer with out an alignment tool. Its pretty easy actually. Put a little oul on the oring before you slide it over the pickup tube. Sucks you have to go thru this for just the pump.
Did you have to drop the pan? I looks like the pan is pretty close to the crossmember.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Teching In

No, you don't. The timing chain cover has 10 bolts - 8 in the face and two that go in from the bottom through the lip of the oil pan and up into the timing chain cover. They aren't that bad to get to. All are 10mm.

Here's a picture of my pinned crank - see the two bolts mounted from the bottom, facing up, on the bottom left side of the pulley? The forward bolt goes up through the pan into the cover and the bolt behind it goes through the pan into the bottom of the block. You can also see the face of one of the 8 bolts that mount the cover from the front side.....between the dampner pulley and the ac belt pulley. Hope this helps!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Banned

Its pretty easy actually. Put a little oul on the oring before you slide it over the pickup tube.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tooldude
Did you have to drop the pan? I looks like the pan is pretty close to the crossmember.

Nope, no need to drop the pan. Heres how i reinstall, a dab of red gasket maker in the lower corners of the oil pan. Put the timing cover on, tighten the bolts about 3 turns. Put the pulley all the way on then barely snug the front 8 bolts, then tighten the bottom 2 bolts all the way. After that torque the front 8 bolts. Tht way you center the pulley in the seal, and you wont crack the oul pan. Sometimes people tighten the bottom 2 bolts (oil pan) then the front 8. You stand a good chance of crackin the oil pan that way.
One more tip i use, coat the oring in oil, then set it on the pick up tube. Then install the pump. Its really easy. Just visulize the procedure a bunch of times. Then when you do it, will seem Like you did a million times before.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Teching In

So you can get the bolt that holds the pick up to the pump by just removing the front cover? On the LS1 how to site they made it seem like a real PITA to get to that bolt on a F body without droping it into the pan.

I have a 4 post lift in the garage now, so it sounds like it sould be pretty easy.

Last edited by Tooldude; 05-15-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, was a piece of cake. Seems on some fbodys, the bolt sits on the inside of the pick up tube flange. Both my c5s the bolt is on the outside of this flange. No problem. They just keep saying , "dont drop it," because you can drop it on the pan. If your really paranoid about it, loosen the bolt,tie some sewing thread around the bolt, then unscrew it all the way. And reverse this when installing. Its not hard. Took me maybe 5 mins to remove the pump, maybe 10 mins to install the new one. All the labor is actually getting to it. I did it when i did my cam. New ported ls6 pump. I now have 55psi at idle and 65psi above 4000rpms. Now I know my valvetrain is getting plenty oil when idling, I have never had an issue with the pan going dry. And all I do is spirited driving. I do not baby my car, even though it looks like a show winner. Lol

Last edited by slammedc5; 05-16-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Why do you want to replace the pump?
What do you plan to replace it with?
Ron
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Why do you want to replace the pump?
What do you plan to replace it with?
Ron
I have an early LS1 and have heard that they have some oiling issues.

Quick Reply: Oil pump swap on a C5 Vette