LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help With droping my LT1 in to my 63 Belair

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With droping my LT1 in to my 63 Belair

Hey guys I'm new to the web site and have a few questions about dropping my LT1 with my 4l60E into my 63Belair. I have the harness out of the camero and the engine and trans both only have about 6k on them now when the camreo was hit. i just need some insight on this like where to get the wiring harness for the whole car and the ECM/TCM and keeping it running through the factory harness routing location in the firewall and putting the ECM under the dash. I looked at EFI Connections set up but not wanting to drop another 2 grand in to a new ECM, and harness when my has already been tuned for this engine. I also want to use my factory gauges as well. Please drop some insight my way.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as dropping it in physically, if the car was already a gen 1 small block then it will be easy as pie dropping the engine in. The mounts line up with the LT1 block. The trans I do not know if you will need to mod the tunnel.
I didn't quite understand about the PCM. You have one already? Or you need one?

A wire harness for the rest of the car I would google it and you will find many.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You would be much better off dividing your issues/concerns into several threads rather than just one only because what you're asking is a pretty massive undertaking for someone who is (presumably) fairly new to wiring/fuel injection. I'd start by seeking out some real experience (an actual person) to physically help you with the swap.

There's so much to learn here so you'll have to do most of the work yourself by just reading.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Ok I will take your advice and split my topics up next time ramair95ta; and to nomoneyz I do have the PCM and all the factory 95 camero wiring. I'm looking for a complete wiring harness to redo my whole care and up grade to ato fuses or mini-fuses that will piggy back the PCM as well as allow me to run my factory cluster and options.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Painless Wiring makes an entire harness for the LT1 if you are starting from scratch. Comes with everything but the PCM. Not sure about the rest of the chassis but from what I understand they are like wiring gods.

Also, it's Camaro... not camero. Just a polite correction. =D
Old 06-09-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Is the engine/trans/pcm from a 95 car?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Yes painless have been the guys to go to for ten years I know have used their regular wiring kits on impalas before over the years. Just having to pinch pennies on this build but not corners. The engine Trans and PCM are all out of the 95 camero I even have the factory harness out of the car.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can convert the engine harness easily to a stand alone harness that will control just the engine portion of the swap. It's fairly easy and I am doing it with my skylark swap right now. I also bought a new wire harness for the body but definitely not from painless. You can also have the pcm shipped out and tuned for everything your taking off the engine, like smog stuff and VATS security.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Yes I'm wanting to get rid of the VATS and trying to find a good serp set up that's powder coated a nice silver or black no chrome or polished alum.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can take all your accessories and brackets and paint them. The factory deep setup works fine. If you don't want ac get an ac delete pully.

Quick Reply: Help With droping my LT1 in to my 63 Belair