Sponsored by:

Lsxfox torque converter lockup questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsxfox torque converter lockup questions

Foxbody mustang with a 5.3 and converted to auto with 4l60e

Using a modified harness and there's a green w/ white stripe wire for torque converter lockup. I've been told to just run it to my brake light switch but I'm unsure.

Do I need to wire it to a relay or is the switch only fine?

Then which side of the switch? Does this need to be a constant power to the PCM and when the pedal is pressed it breaks the 12v and that how it works or is it backwards to how I described?

I'm really confused so please help, you've helped me a ton so far this community is awesome when it comes to lsx knowledge.

Thanks guys
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Anyone? I would like to be able to take her around the block this weekend if possible
Old 06-22-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

If I recall correctly, you need to run it through a relay first. I believe the Ford brake light switch outputs 12v when the brakes are pressed and the TCC needs a ground to activate so you need to use a normally closed relay so that when you apply 12v it opens effectively giving you a ground signal every time you apply the brakes.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Is there a write up in this anywhere?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

I think it was in 96gtdans build.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That wire needs to go through a brake switch with two sets of terminals. One is normally open, for the brake lights. The other is normally closed, for the lockup. The normally closed side will need 12 volts going to it on one side and the lockup wire, from the tranny going to the other side. The convertor will be locked up and when you press the brake pedal, you cut off the power to the convertor lockup valve and the convertor will unlock.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
That wire needs to go through a brake switch with two sets of terminals. One is normally open, for the brake lights. The other is normally closed, for the lockup. The normally closed side will need 12 volts going to it on one side and the lockup wire, from the tranny going to the other side. The convertor will be locked up and when you press the brake pedal, you cut off the power to the convertor lockup valve and the convertor will unlock.

I'm so confused by these directions. Can you draw this out for me because I only have the one wire so how do I use 2 terminals?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bakomack
I'm so confused by these directions. Can you draw this out for me because I only have the one wire so how do I use 2 terminals?
I said the brake switch will need to have two sets of terminals. Here is a picture of the type of brake switch you need. It's the white one.

http://www.maliburacing.com/josh_mal...e_switch_2.JPG

Last edited by LS1MCSS; 06-25-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Lsxfox torque converter lockup questions