Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS questions/problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS questions/problem

The swap I am doing uses a Corvair trans and diff.

The Corvair mechanical spedo runs off the drivers side front axle.

I haven't been able to get the wheels apart yet, some pretty bad rust issues. BUT I don't think there is room in there for the VSS sender even if the capacity to hook it up existed, and I kinda doubt that anyway.

Is there a VSS that will go between the spedo cable and the gauge? Or some other way to get a VSS signal?

Any proven, or hair brained ideas are appreciated.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can try and look into the Cable-X box..

BC
Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...prd_zm_109.gif

This looks like it would work. but if I understand it correctly I would need the wider end to attach to the input side and the narrow end to run to my speedo.

I have been looking at other threads and I think thats backward of how they normally run. I guess I just need to call them tomorrow. Maybe they can run either way.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's your standard inline VSS, there are a lot of flavors of thread/drive adapters for them. Drive off front wheel sounds a lot like early VW did one on a dune buggy (VW bug) aftermarket speedo install.

JTR has/had a driveshaft mounted VSS wheel/pickup setup.

Retrofit a ABS ring to one of your CV joints if there's somewhere to mount a pickup?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Ya, the Corvair set up is used in my Valkyrie kit car, and GM definitely copied a lot of the VW set up (after considerable improvement) on the Corvair.

I dont have a CV joint I don't think.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The dakota digital should work if you can getr the adapters.
If not I'm using a 2 wire sensor from these guys. It uses the reverse gear in my T10 as a reluctor.
http://www.magsensors.com/
Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so the computer rewire guy is bugging me for my rear tire size and rear gear ratio. says I need it if I want to keep the VSS

He also says that he eliminate4s the VSS all the time on sand rails

My trans has no capacity for a VSS sensor, and the speedo runs off the drivers side front tire, so what effect could rear tire size and gear ratio have on a VSS if it wasnt running off the rear or the trans?

and is he full of crap about not needing a vss? is thre something different about how a sand rail is used makeing them able to get away without the VSS?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 AM
TECH Junkie

You'll find without vss the engine will stall with clutch depessed coasting down from hiway speeds. Maybe his sandrails dont do a lot of hiway driving. Your tuner is thinking you're running the vss off the trans. Good news is the ecu doesnt care how fast you're going to avoid this. The dakota digital vss will fix this problem without being correctly calibrated. As it sits, mine is reading 3-4 mph when I'm doing 60.
On a side note, if you have it over calibrated, the speed limiter will kick in at around 135mph.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

so I should jsut have him leave it totaly alone and hook a sensor up to it?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I run my Chevelle without an VSS input to the PCM... I don't have any stalling issue without it on mine.!?!

If you could add the VSS input, it would be beneficial to assist with driviablity and as noted, on stopping or slowing down. (if you have stalling issue). If you have an electronically control Transmission, it would be best to have it. But with a manual..yo can get away without it.(for most).

BC
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

DBW or cable? I've had 2 DBW motors, both had stalling. Very reproducible. Both tuners that did my ecus said they've seen the same thing.

Crazier
You can leave it as is if you dont want DBW cruise control.

Originally Posted by bczee
I run my Chevelle without an VSS input to the PCM... I don't have any stalling issue without it on mine.!?!

If you could add the VSS input, it would be beneficial to assist with driviablity and as noted, on stopping or slowing down. (if you have stalling issue). If you have an electronically control Transmission, it would be best to have it. But with a manual..yo can get away without it.(for most).

BC
Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

My chevelle is DBC....
Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, that might be the difference. My 02 LQ9 with DBW had a 411 ecu, probably the same as yours, stalled consistently when clutch was depressed and coasting from around 60 mph to a stop almost every time.
Tried the same with an 05 L59 DBW when I was adding a VSS to a T10. I was able to do the same with that one too.
ECUs were done by different tuners that said they've seen the same thing.
Not sure why an IAC would be better than a DBW TB at controlling idle without VSS though.
Crazier has DBW, better to leave it in and spend $60 for a DD VSS than having to pull the harness and wire/repin the VSS. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by bczee
My chevelle is DBC....

Quick Reply: VSS questions/problem