LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Boosted + High Compression

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted + High Compression

What would you guys assume is safe to run out of a rear mount turbo on a forged bottom (383) end 2 bolt main lt1 with 11.1 compression? Same question for a d1sc? Eagle crank, h beam rods, mahle pistons. And what would you guys recommend for meth etc.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible idea....get some dished blower pistons or just spray it!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard of guys doing it, but they say they back off timing quite a bit.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh dear god why do you guys build high compression big cammed engines then when you realize it's not fast enough you want to go boost? Should have built it right the first time.... mine is 9.3:1 or so and I don't have the supercharger yet and a modest cam (has a perfect defined lope at stock idle) and it is far from a dog on the street. In fact it's quite fun, very torquey!

You're going to have to swap out the heads or the pistons or both to drop your compression. Or you could just run nitrous. You could go with low boost and pull timing, but there is hardly a point to that. Oh, and another plus is that if you go supercharger then you really should double key your crank and get a stout damper/hub. With a turbo, you can go without, but you'll be in boost at lower rpm... (bad thing or good thing...)
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Oh dear god why do you guys build high compression big cammed engines then when you realize it's not fast enough you want to go boost? Should have built it right the first time.... mine is 9.3:1 or so and I don't have the supercharger yet and a modest cam (has a perfect defined lope at stock idle) and it is far from a dog on the street. In fact it's quite fun, very torquey!

You're going to have to swap out the heads or the pistons or both to drop your compression. Or you could just run nitrous. You could go with low boost and pull timing, but there is hardly a point to that. Oh, and another plus is that if you go supercharger then you really should double key your crank and get a stout damper/hub. With a turbo, you can go without, but you'll be in boost at lower rpm... (bad thing or good thing...)
Just the bottom end is built, I was just tossing up the idea, I had originally planned on juicing it with a 150 shot, I'm sure a top end package from advanced induction will get me into the mid 4xxs for horsepower and torque at the wheels then a 150 shot, Im sure it will be plenty for me. To be completely honest with you I always frowned upon forced induction due to spending an extra 3 or 4 grand on a motor and running the same track times basically. The only reason a turbo or pro charger caught my eye was street fun, but like I said 450 to the ground sounds plenty for me when Im on the street.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I appreciate the input, I had heard of others doing it with 11 to1 so I figured I would get a couple more opinions on it. And roxy how do you like our s60 rear end?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always laugh at the people who regurgitate the same spoon-fed paup about high compression and boost. I have a gen 1 sbc 383 with 10.5 scr and 13# of intercooled boost from an old school p1200br and water/meth and it makes 800hp at the flywheel on 93 pump gas. I run 32* of timing, so don't beleive what everyone else says, now that being said Procharger and others that make setups for the LT1 design them to work with the stock scr of 10.5:1 and you don't have to change the pistons or heads to run it. It all depends on how much boost/rwhp you want to make but since your bottomend is all forged I would think you could get away with the same boost that the stock LT1 can run especially if you add a Snow Performance water/meth kit which is 8-9# of boost.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
I always laugh at the people who regurgitate the same spoon-fed paup about high compression and boost. I have a gen 1 sbc 383 with 10.5 scr and 13# of intercooled boost from an old school p1200br and water/meth and it makes 800hp at the flywheel on 93 pump gas. I run 32* of timing, so don't beleive what everyone else says, now that being said Procharger and others that make setups for the LT1 design them to work with the stock scr of 10.5:1 and you don't have to change the pistons or heads to run it. It all depends on how much boost/rwhp you want to make but since your bottomend is all forged I would think you could get away with the same boost that the stock LT1 can run especially if you add a Snow Performance water/meth kit which is 8-9# of boost.
Yea, but will that boosted high CR motor last 200K as a stock LT1 was designed to?.....nope. Nobody said it can't be done....there are smarter/safer ways to get more power however. Only 800 hp? You could have had 1200 hp from a STOCK bottom end truck 4.8 LS with 28lbs of boost like Hot Rod magazine did while we're comparing apples to oranges

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well ahritchie lets see how much power your 4.8 LS would make with the same procharger or how much my setup would make with the same size turbo used in the 4.8 LS build? And what makes you think a fully forged 383 with 8-9# of intercooled boost couldn't last 200k with proper maintenence? So while you're talking out your *** do you personally own anything with forced induction, I thought not so what qualifies you to try and correct me?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Please for the love of god don't run boost on 11.1:1. You're going to put that engine in an early grave.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Well ahritchie lets see how much power your 4.8 LS would make with the same procharger or how much my setup would make with the same size turbo used in the 4.8 LS build? And what makes you think a fully forged 383 with 8-9# of intercooled boost couldn't last 200k with proper maintenence? So while you're talking out your *** do you personally own anything with forced induction, I thought not so what qualifies you to try and correct me?
Lol you don't know me! Provide some valid examples of real world high compression (11:1) blown setups lasting 200K...l'm waiting. Not talking about "in theory". And actually, I just took ownership of a piece of true high performance blown American muscle...get ready...wait for it....1999 Buick Regal GS supercharged! My girlfriend gave the thing away because she's tired of the "grandma car"....I've been using it to keep the miles of my birds and the great MPG...Complete sleeper I'm strongly considering slapping a smaller pulley on that bitch, some headers, cai, and a tune and make 300+ front wheel HP in the grandma Buick.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

humm... 11:1 CR, 8# boost, 100 shot...... sounds like a pretty fun ride to me.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't even need new pistons to drop the compression. A thicker gasket or just a bowl and polish job on the heads can lower the compression enough. There are several ways to make a high compression engine live on boost, strong intercooling helps, rich tune among other options.

The reason any FI engine detonates is because the owners don't follow the tuning rules and push the limits too far.

Quick Reply: Boosted + High Compression