Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Be for warned Nine inch users (if you are buying a nine inch read this!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be for warned Nine inch users (if you are buying a nine inch read this!)

SO! after back and forth with my driveshaft (running a steel 4 inch shaft). I have finally found my vibration issues and its this...

Stock yoke versus strange yoke.
Its been confirmed at this point that the strange yoke has a slightly smaller barrel, but that isnt the issue. I had the shaft Im running cut one inch longer than stock but I Lost that inch with this yoke. If you order a strange yoke either measure center of U to center of U WITH THE YOKE PLACED IN THE TRANS or get it 1 3/4 in to 2 in longer than stock. Good luck guys
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm, I'm running a Strange 3" Chromoly driveshaft with my 9". It was ordered through Midwest Chassis & Performance who sent their "specs" to Strange for a custom build. My driveshaft was slightly longer, and works perfect for me with no additional noticeable vibes.. This picture is hard to tell because the stock steel shaft yoke is leaning to the side, but you can picture it. This steel shaft is not the stock aluminum shaft, but it's the same length and yoke dimensions as the stock alum DS. The 3" definitely is NOT any shorter. You got an improperly spec'd shaft.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

I have a custom shaft (i had it built local). Im posting my results piecing it together. If you order a shaft you may come out okay. In my case I ordered the Strange street strip yoke from summitracing.com that was specifically listed for a t-56. I got a 48" .083 wall steel shaft with ujoints from a Nascar car and had that cut down. When I measured for the driveshaft I did it per the driveshaft shops instruction. Car at ride height from center of nine inch ujoint yoke to the tip of the tailshaft housing. the problem I just found 3 months later is that not only is the yoke slightly too small in diameter, it also is an inch shorter than the stocker in regards to the lack of the dampener ring. When i measured I compared my findings to the stock driveshaft in order to have the driveshaft cut. My mistake was basing the measurement off of the stock yoke. Im posting just to inform. I could and still can run the strange yoke just fine if the shaft were an inch longer. I only have 2 1/6th in engagement and have 3 1/4 with the stock yoke. Sorry for being long winded just wanted to be completely thorough. In your case im sure you came out fine since you specd the entire shaft yoke and all through midwest
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Hmm, I'm running a Strange 3" Chromoly driveshaft with my 9". It was ordered through Midwest Chassis & Performance who sent their "specs" to Strange for a custom build. My driveshaft was slightly longer, and works perfect for me with no additional noticeable vibes.. This picture is hard to tell because the stock steel shaft yoke is leaning to the side, but you can picture it. This steel shaft is not the stock aluminum shaft, but it's the same length and yoke dimensions as the stock alum DS. The 3" definitely is NOT any shorter. You got an improperly spec'd shaft.

keep in mind too that yoke you have in the picture doesnt have the dampener that I have on my stock yoke
Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
keep in mind too that yoke you have in the picture doesnt have the dampener that I have on my stock yoke
Yes but center of u-joint to end of yoke is still the same dimension. I had the stock aluminum and that steel one side by side.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Yes but center of u-joint to end of yoke is still the same dimension. I had the stock aluminum and that steel one side by side.
ill take your word for it. I just know mines way off. Im not complaining. Just sharing my epiphany. A lot of people have vibrations after the 9 inch swap
Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok so clear this up. How long is your new driveshaft tube compared to a stock one? Can you confirm the yoke is smaller diameter with a caliper? Typically you want the difference made up in the tube itself, not the yoke. In my case, if you look in the pic, my tube is the same length and my yoke is slightly longer. And I have no additional vibrations.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

yes I will put a mic on the yoke when Im at my shop next. As for the driveshaft I want to say its 42 or 42.25 center to center of the U joints. Whatever is one more inch than the stock one. I came up at exactly one more inch. regrettably I don't remember off the top of my head which it was. I sound like a moron but I was very thorough with it because I didn't want this exact problem lol
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/how_to_measure.html

Al 95 Z28
Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/how_to_measure.html

Al 95 Z28
Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

I know how to measure just did it with the stock yoke being in mind not thinking about the new yoke being shorter. Im just trying to be sure others dont make my mistake as well.

Quick Reply: Be for warned Nine inch users (if you are buying a nine inch read this!)