Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need suspension opinions 2000 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suspension opinions 2000 Z28

2000 Z28 A4
Possibly converting to M6 later if that matters.

I want you guys opinions. Please factor in cost effectiveness, quality and you guys experience. I'm torn I'm an occasional midnight madness dragstrip racer but I enjoy my curvy backroads and would love to get into occasional auto X one day.

I would prefer a balance of both which I understand is hard. I want to shoot for a setup to handle 450-500rwhp. Also would respect if you guys could recommend the order that I should possibly do step by step. I have looked at packaged suspension / handling kits that are just way to pricey for me at once right now. I appreciate and respect any of you guys personal opinions. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Good Shocks, Springs..... LCAs and SFCs are a must i think for any f-body. Especially SFCs if you don't have them yet.....

Although there are cheap parts out there you get what you pay for. Going cheap on your springs and shocks can cost you poor handling. Not saying go out and buy the most expensive shocks and spring combo but their are some great shocks and springs out there like Koni, Bilsteins, KYB, or Tokico shocks.

That's my .02 Good Luck
Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Thanks, I guess what I'm stuck between is I want some traction for the track but I mainly 99% of the time drive it on the street. I want ok~decent straight line traction and excellent corner traction. Is this too much to ask lol. Maybe a compromise of a full adjustable shock or can someone elaborate on coilovers?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good shocks and UMI 3-point subframe connectors are a great place to start. After that, a UMI Panhard Bar and Lower Control arms.

Our stuff is all made by skilled craftsmen and craftswomen who care.

The whole dual purpose car thing is tough but doable if you keep your expectations reasonable.

Ramey
Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Got some very good looking products. I see front spring rates go from 300-325-350 online. What's good spring rate numbers for the rear and how do they associate with handling / traction?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by usmonaro
2000 Z28 A4
Possibly converting to M6 later if that matters.

I want you guys opinions. Please factor in cost effectiveness, quality and you guys experience. I'm torn I'm an occasional midnight madness dragstrip racer but I enjoy my curvy backroads and would love to get into occasional auto X one day.

I would prefer a balance of both which I understand is hard. I want to shoot for a setup to handle 450-500rwhp. Also would respect if you guys could recommend the order that I should possibly do step by step. I have looked at packaged suspension / handling kits that are just way to pricey for me at once right now. I appreciate and respect any of you guys personal opinions. Thanks.
Research research research before you buy anything.
Take what the drag guys say with a grain of salt, as most drag parts will kill handling/stability/balance of the car. Things like heavier rear ends, locking differentials, poly bushings, short chassis mounted torque arms, drag shocks, overly soft springs, overly large rear swaybar etc etc.
Good shocks (not cheap autozone replacements, or drag shocks) will make the biggest difference, and will IMO "make or break" the setup.
If I were in your position I would just start out with some good shocks (Koni SA's preferably) and sticky tires. That alone will make the car corner drastically better(better grip, balance, feel, control), and give a better, firm but not jarring ride. The car will really feel glued to the road.

Thanks, I guess what I'm stuck between is I want some traction for the track but I mainly 99% of the time drive it on the street. I want ok~decent straight line traction and excellent corner traction. Is this too much to ask lol. Maybe a compromise of a full adjustable shock or can someone elaborate on coilovers?
Our cars come with coilovers in the front from the factory, but Im assuming you are talking about adjustable coilovers right? If you want to turn then forget about drag coilovers like QA1, strange and afco (as these are not gas charged, and valved for drag racing and weight transfer).
There are a handful of good handling adjustable coilovers out there (KW, race bilstien, Penskie) but you will be paying a pretty coin. Also consider that you can't really adjust height "on the fly" as you will need an alignment every time you change the height.

Got some very good looking products. I see front spring rates go from 300-325-350 online. What's good spring rate numbers for the rear and how do they associate with handling / traction?
Looks like you are looking at the QA1s springs, don't bother. For handling those rates are a joke. Stock these cars come with 292lbs/in in the front, and the optional 1LE springs are 360lbs/in front. Thats a factory option spring thats already stiffer than QA1s' "handling" spring. If you read around what guys who autox/road race use you will see 500-1000lbs/in (depending on weight of car and rest of setup) for front just to give you an idea. Rear can vary from 100-300lb/in give or take (again depends on the setup).
Stick with your stock springs for now, and they will be a good balance between weigh transfer and handling. As I said above, the big thing is to get some good shocks.
From there maybe some matching swaybars (35mm front, 22mm rear-no bigger). A full length torque arm, and you can relocate it off the transmission if you want. Maybe some rear LCA's if you feel they are necessary (but no poly bushings as they will bind). SFCs are also optional, as once you have good shocks on I honestly doubt you will feel the difference SFC's add.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

monroe shocks and cut the stock springs ....give ya a ride like you have never had b4 !!!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QA1 has spring rates much higher than 325 if need be.

Another good option is Strano SP141's with as much Koni as you can afford. All supported by UMI hard parts.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Launching!

JD thanks dude that seems like some pretty good info. I will look into some good shocks. I had a 300zx twin turbo with eibach springs and tokico 5way adjustable shocks and that car handled like a dream with 275's all the way around. Granted that car had IRS but I love the shocks. One setting gave a great ride and the other made it so firm you could barely push the car down. I hope to find an option close to that.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

JD thanks dude that seems like some pretty good info. I will look into some good shocks. I had a 300zx twin turbo with eibach springs and tokico 5way adjustable shocks and that car handled like a dream with 275's all the way around. Granted that car had IRS but I love the shocks. One setting gave a great ride and the other made it so firm you could barely push the car down. I hope to find an option close to that.
With these cars you generally don't want to get them so stiff there is no give (especially in the rear). A SRA is a different beast than an IRS setup, so spring and shock rates will be much different than an IRS setup.
Also if you get serious into racing you can fit 315s on all four corners of these cars.

Quick Reply: Need suspension opinions 2000 Z28