Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anybody runnin Billet Specialties on f-body with C5 brake conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody runnin Billet Specialties on f-body with C5 brake conversion?

I am wanting to get a set of billet Specialties wheels but am having issues with the C5 brake conversion on the front of my 00' Z28. The two styles I like are the Street Smart Launch and the Street Lite. I want to run 17x9.5 front and 17x11 rear. Issues I am potentially seeing are the distance from the hub mounting surface to the front side of the caliper (hitting back side of wheel spokes) and then caliper hitting the barrel of the wheel due to now having 13" rotors and distance of center hub to outer edge of caliper being bigger than stock.

Anybody running either of these wheels? The protouring or SLC are supposed to fit, but they are too pricey and I like the other styles better. I am going to try and get an accurate measurement from my car, but would be much happier knowing if anybody is currently running these.
thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Running the same size setup as you mention. Its a really tight fit with just the factory setup. I was looking into a 13" rotor setup as well but put it off since I have other things to work on first.

If you are running the corvette calipers as well, the "corvette" lettering that is risen from the caliper won't fit the street lites.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info. Yes, I am running the vette rotors and red Z06 calipers. It looks like the street smart line has 1" of clearance between the back of the wheel and mounting surface. Street lite only has 5/8". How much clearance do you have between the inner barrel and the outside of the caliper? I actually had to grind off the fins on my calipers about 6 years ago because the two sets of road racing wheels I had didn't fit!!! They work well, but the C5 set up has been a PITA for lots of other things.......
Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by MBC Racing
thanks for the info. Yes, I am running the vette rotors and red Z06 calipers. It looks like the street smart line has 1" of clearance between the back of the wheel and mounting surface. Street lite only has 5/8". How much clearance do you have between the inner barrel and the outside of the caliper? I actually had to grind off the fins on my calipers about 6 years ago because the two sets of road racing wheels I had didn't fit!!! They work well, but the C5 set up has been a PITA for lots of other things.......
Not much room between the caliper fins and the barrel of the wheel. I didn't get an exact measurement, but it is roughly 1/4" of space.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I measured the best I could the other day and It appears that I have closer to 7.75" from the center of the hub to the outter edge of the caliper...... It dosen't appear that the caliper will clear the barrel. I do however have enough room to clear the back of the spokes on the street smart. A ride down to BS may be in order since they are relatively close to me.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by MBC Racing
I measured the best I could the other day and It appears that I have closer to 7.75" from the center of the hub to the outter edge of the caliper...... It dosen't appear that the caliper will clear the barrel. I do however have enough room to clear the back of the spokes on the street smart. A ride down to BS may be in order since they are relatively close to me.
I've been there a few times. Can be a little tricky to find the 1st time around. Might have to keep in touch with you since I have been wanting to possibly get involved in road racing and/or auto-x.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
I've been there a few times. Can be a little tricky to find the 1st time around. Might have to keep in touch with you since I have been wanting to possibly get involved in road racing and/or auto-x.
We have two HSAX events left on road courses this year. 9/15 at Blackhawk farms in South Beloit, IL, and and 10/6 at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet on the south track. They will run you ~$125-150 and you will get 2-3, 3-4 lap practice sessions and 6+ timed runs. Should be 40+ track miles on your car. We should have another parking lot one at either Sears Center or Mayhood park parking lot. Site is TBD at the moment. www.scscc.net
Shoot me a PM if you want some details.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man..... I was hoping that somebody would have a yes or no on fitment of these...... I saw a black Z28 roll by with the street lites and they looked really good. Had stock brakes though. Looked on vette forum... nothing. Called Speed Inc.... they never tried. Called Billet Specialties.... they don't know. Called a couple distributors.... they don't know either. I would think with all the C5 conversion kits out there and people who have done it, that somebody would have figured it out??? Guess I will have to maybe the be the guinnea pig and go check. Still have to pull wheel again and try to get a more accurte measurement of the hub center to caliper outter edge diameter......
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ties-have.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...s-bitches.html
Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Its a really tight fit with just the factory setup.

Quick Reply: Anybody runnin Billet Specialties on f-body with C5 brake conversion?