Any tips for being a supervisor in manufacturing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Any tips for being a supervisor in manufacturing?

I took a job out of college working on the floor in the CNC machine shop dept of a sheet metal manufacturing company. I have about 7 months total experience in programming and setting up machines, Haas and some Fanuc machines, with 2 of those months being at this company. They have asked the current supervisor to step down, and offered me his position.

I know this forum has a lot of engineering and technical related members, so I figured it would be the perfect place to ask for any tips or advice. I have no experience with management, except a management course from school. I appreciate it a bunch!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing you can do is lead by example, don't act like you know everything, be willing to listen, and don't make it a friendship. When I say that you can be friends with the people you manage but at work you are their boss. No need to be an a-hole or anything but thinking you are going to be the cool, layed back guy that is friends with all the workers is generally going to lead them to taking advantage of the situation.

There is a fine line. Complete a-hole no one wants to work for you or get you out of jams. Too nice and they will start slacking.

Last edited by sleepersilverado; 08-06-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Business is business and friendship is friendship.

Just like stated above, treat your guys with respect and they will return it. If you treat them like **** don't expect for them to go out of their way to do something for you.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Be yourself, don't let it get to your head.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Respect your people, play to their strengths, don't try and make them something they are not and/or do not want to be. You can be a friend and a boss, but boss first and always. I occasionally have a look at my guys car problems, they occasionally bring me their native foods.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Appreciate it!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it. Oh wait, it's not a gov shop is it? I wouldn't take a supervisor position at my job if the tripled my salary. I love being a cnc machinist, but I see what my sup goes thru everyday. No wonder he grayed a lot in the last 6 years.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Don't do it. Oh wait, it's not a gov shop is it? I wouldn't take a supervisor position at my job if the tripled my salary. I love being a cnc machinist, but I see what my sup goes thru everyday. No wonder he grayed a lot in the last 6 years.
No it is not a gov shop. Haha yeah I am already starting to wonder if I shouldn't have taken it. But I figure I need to work my way into the engineering dept somehow, and taking on a leadership role and, well if I succeed, then that might up my chances.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Yeah, I'm with you. When I first started at my company I was like: (I'm gonna run this place one day.) Then I realized, no I dont. I mean, I want to move up, dont get me wrong. But there are other positions where I work, that have alot less bs and politics to deal with than a service manager and make the same money.