Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head porting in michigan

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question head porting in michigan

Plan on getting some 243s relatively soon here.

What shops around the Oakland County in Michigan will do head work to these? Probably P&P, valve job, springs etc etc.

Looking for good reliable work and good prices

Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Livernois Motorsports
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

I said screw it and did my own.... had the valve job done at a local machine shop, and 2" intake valves cut. going to have .010 cut too....

Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM
FormerVendor

We have an excellent program for 243 castings. Please email me if interested in a quote at rleblanc@livernoismotorsports.com

Below are some photos of the CNC department and a shop overview video

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

wish i could afford that....
Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OP don't pick a shop on location alone.
When shopping for a head porter always try and use someone with proven results for the application.
Just because any engine shop can port a set of heads and even if they had good results with another engine does not mean you should risk wasting your cores on letting them have a shot at it.

If you can find a "local" shop with results, wonderful but otherwise a little drive or shipping is worth it to get something proven. If a shop does mediocre work to your heads because they don't have the experience and results yet you just not only wasted what you paid them but also the value of your cores.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
When shopping for a head porter always try and use someone with proven results for the application.
Just because any engine shop can port a set of heads and even if they had good results with another engine does not mean you should risk wasting your cores on letting them have a shot at it.

If you can find a "local" shop with results, wonderful but otherwise a little drive or shipping is worth it to get something proven. If a shop does mediocre work to your heads because they don't have the experience and results yet you just not only wasted what you paid them but also the value of your cores.
Agreed!

-Rick
Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Reckless
Livernois Motorsports
Thanks, Your def not the first person to mention them so I guess thats a good sign towards Livernois.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Yeah thats why I stated "reliable" work. I would rather drive across the country for good work rather next door for shitty quality. I would rather have someone local than ship it across the country...idk why but Im uncomfortable having precious items(ie nice heads) somewhere I couldnt be at.

Originally Posted by LivernoisMotorsports
We have an excellent program for 243 castings. Please email me if interested in a quote at rleblanc@livernoismotorsports.com

Below are some photos of the CNC department and a shop overview video

video

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

Thanks Rick. Since I have been asking around for past few days, your guy's name has come up frequently(all GOOD things). But as I stated I dont even have heads worth putting money into yet. I was just trying to get an idea of what I should expect.
Once I get some funds saved adn buy some heads ...I'll be coming your way.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have to drive anywhere...companies like advanced induction and total engine airflow are excellent companies that have an excellent track record. They offer supplied cores where they send you a set of cnc'd heads and you ship your cores back to them. Turn around is only a day or two.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Launching!

So after doing research from alot of the main companies(AI, TEA, and Livernois) I'm starting to think about just buying aftermarket heads. Looks as if buying 243s, then get them worked over should cost around $1000-$1300...I could get a set of fully assembled Trick Flows, PRC's,Patriots for about the same price or maybe 100-200 more.

Any input? Opinions..
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

as cast aftermarket is unlikely to perform as well as a well ported 243.

Quick Reply: head porting in michigan