Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My first build thread. LPM, Koni, strano, misc

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first build thread. LPM, Koni, strano, misc

Alright guys, finally have some time to get on here and start my build thread. I got back to Indiana on August 12th. I purchased this car on my deployment to Afghanistan and hadn't even seen it until I got home. I immediatly starting installing the parts I had waiting for me. Alot of work has been done to the car in the last month, over a week of that having been driving cross country. I didn't have much shake down time for alot of the mods. I didnt get my car tuned until 5 days before I left and shocks/springs/and sways werent on until the night before! I drove the car from Northwest Indiana to Las Vegas. Las Vegas to Santa Monica, north through Malibu and norcal, all the way up to seattle. Absolutely awesome road trip. I had zero problems at all with the car. Performed excellently for the whole trip. The only issue was it burnt through about 3/4 of a quart over the 4,000 + trip. Averaging nearly 80 MPH for the whole time, I don't see anything to worry about there.

My goal for the car is a sporty daily driver/weekend autox and drag toy. I'm trying to shave as much weight as possible without losing some creature comforts like a nice radio and air conditioning.

Mods installed are as follows:

TSP 1 3/4" stainless longtubes, TSP catted Y, SLP LM1.
LS6 intake, P/P TB, !air !egr

Car was dyno tunes by Finish Line Performance out of Illinois. The tune is perfecyt not a single issue and good power. Put down 327 RWHP with 344 RWTQ.

Koni 4/4 Shocks
Strano Springs
Strano hollow Sways
UMI dbl adj LCA's
LCA relo brackets
UMI SFC's

The suspension feels phenominal. The catted Y TSP sent me was a horrible fit. I have spent atleast 5 hours with it on a lift and with it tucked as best a possible I still have about an inch and a half of clearance. Even so, my car never scraped ONCE on the highway doing 80+ on mediocre pavement. Very very responsive and worth every penny. The Koni's and Strano's are by far the best mod I have done thus far. I drive on an awesome part of highway 101 in the mountains and had a chance to really check the setup out. Almost zero body roll at all, shops respond very quickly. The car definitely has more in it than the 255 kuhmo's I have all around.

Plans for the near future are a WSQ hood, forgestar f14 wheels (18x9.5 and 18x10.5 or 11"), Watts Link, Torque arm and relo kit, Upper and Lower A arms, as well as a humount, headunit, and speakers.

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. All the work was done by myself with the help of a friend. I definitely learned quite a bit along the way nd overall everything went fairly smoothly. All comments/suggestions are welcome.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good glad your back safe and sound
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at a new pcv valve or get a oil catch can for your oil use.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great, I wanna get some strano sway bars so bad.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineracing
You're lucky you didn't tear a brake line like that. The whole weight of the spindle and brake disk/caliper is yanking on that dried out rubber hose. If they do eventually crack, losing the front brakes could be very dangerous, so keep an eye on 'em. Also, while we're talking safety, jack stands are your friends.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

There is a jackstand on the front of the drivers side SFC. There is also half of a cinderblock the rotor is sitting on. I appreciate the concern but this isn't my first time doing some work.

I appreciate the comments guy. Catch can is a great idea!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Snap....
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by redlineracing
Alright guys, finally have some time to get on here and start my build thread. I got back to Indiana on August 12th. I purchased this car on my deployment to Afghanistan and hadn't even seen it until I got home. I immediatly starting installing the parts I had waiting for me. Alot of work has been done to the car in the last month, over a week of that having been driving cross country. I didn't have much shake down time for alot of the mods. I didnt get my car tuned until 5 days before I left and shocks/springs/and sways werent on until the night before! I drove the car from Northwest Indiana to Las Vegas. Las Vegas to Santa Monica, north through Malibu and norcal, all the way up to seattle. Absolutely awesome road trip. I had zero problems at all with the car. Performed excellently for the whole trip. The only issue was it burnt through about 3/4 of a quart over the 4,000 + trip. Averaging nearly 80 MPH for the whole time, I don't see anything to worry about there.

My goal for the car is a sporty daily driver/weekend autox and drag toy. I'm trying to shave as much weight as possible without losing some creature comforts like a nice radio and air conditioning.

The suspension feels phenominal. The catted Y TSP sent me was a horrible fit. I have spent atleast 5 hours with it on a lift and with it tucked as best a possible I still have about an inch and a half of clearance. Even so, my car never scraped ONCE on the highway doing 80+ on mediocre pavement. Very very responsive and worth every penny. The Koni's and Strano's are by far the best mod I have done thus far. I drive on an awesome part of highway 101 in the mountains and had a chance to really check the setup out. Almost zero body roll at all, shops respond very quickly. The car definitely has more in it than the 255 kuhmo's I have all around.
First and most important, welcome home... and thank you for your service to the United States and all of us. Appropriate today most especially.

Secondly and not so important, I'm beyond thrilled to hear that you like the suspension so much. Not only that, it's so much better than you have gotten to spend a lot of time in the car to really get a good feel for it, AND that you have a seemingly iffy Y-pipe and still had no issues with clearance.

Basically what you explained is exactly what I've always prided myself on doing for street cars. Accessible, usable performance that doesn't make you sorry for modifying the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First and most important, welcome home... and thank you for your service to the United States and all of us. Appropriate today most especially.

Secondly and not so important, I'm beyond thrilled to hear that you like the suspension so much. Not only that, it's so much better than you have gotten to spend a lot of time in the car to really get a good feel for it, AND that you have a seemingly iffy Y-pipe and still had no issues with clearance.

Basically what you explained is exactly what I've always prided myself on doing for street cars. Accessible, usable performance that doesn't make you sorry for modifying the car.
That's why I went with you for my business. The car is exactly what you said it would be. Ride is perfect for a daily driver but firm and refined in the corners.

I appreciate the good service!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

^^^ That was a really cool and tasteful note, Sam. It's nice to such down-to-earth sincerity and professionalism. Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: My first build thread. LPM, Koni, strano, misc