Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for tuning 231/237 cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tips for tuning 231/237 cam

any tips for an a4 car? so far all ive noticed is the p300 missfire code popped up...so the converter/computer are flipping out when it comes to locking up. Stock tune its driveable but has its little issues...ive also noticed when ive gone wot down low where it would go into 1st or 2nd it doesnt want to pull very hard...not sure if its cuz of the tune or what...when on the highway in 3rd of 4 it feels fine though so im not sure what thats all about...i didnt autotap it last night when i went out unfortunatly so i dont know if im having any KR er what...I'll try and post up as much info I can later on tonight about whats going on and when.

98 Z patriot S2 5.7 heads/231/237 tsp cam, pacesetters, 2.73's, ssf3500 is my basic combo.

lata
Bill
Old 04-10-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
any tips for an a4 car? so far all ive noticed is the p300 missfire code popped up...so the converter/computer are flipping out when it comes to locking up. Stock tune its driveable but has its little issues...ive also noticed when ive gone wot down low where it would go into 1st or 2nd it doesnt want to pull very hard...not sure if its cuz of the tune or what...when on the highway in 3rd of 4 it feels fine though so im not sure what thats all about...i didnt autotap it last night when i went out unfortunatly so i dont know if im having any KR er what...I'll try and post up as much info I can later on tonight about whats going on and when.

98 Z patriot S2 5.7 heads/231/237 tsp cam, pacesetters, 2.73's, ssf3500 is my basic combo.

lata
Bill

bill,

look at my mods-cartek tune.call jason he"ll hooke you up
Old 04-10-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

you gotta disable the sensitivity (esp at idle) for that cam, most people nuke p0300 code as well. Otherwise you'll be unlocked all the time.

Thats pretty much one of the first things done on a cam tune. misfires are going to happen the lower the rpm, the more

log the misfires on cylinders and watch them fly with a cam
and improper tune.

if you disable p0300 but dont desensitize the misfire system you'll see flashing ses lights usually when idling at a light.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

You may drill tb help idle ( I idle @ 650-700 hot and cold - I drilled tb to .210 ) I set misfires @ max=140 and min =120 and no more misfire -no tc lockup problems adjust ve table 400 mutiply by 70, 800 by 80, 1200 by 90, ran atap and adjust ltrms in IFR table to get to -3 or -4 , ran atap and adjust o2' @ .880 - .900 by useing pe/rpm, play with the TC tables to stop jerking when cruseing @36-41 mph with TC locked up,I am runing stock heads with ALL bolt on' over,under and in between, front to back , if you like PM me and I will email you my Edit file so you may look at all my changes ( remeber do not try to reflash my file , but you may compair and hope it may help ) ALSO try
>>> http://ls1edit.slowcar.net/tuning.html <<
works for me , Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 04-11-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nick y
bill,

look at my mods-cartek tune.call jason he"ll hooke you up
yah i had PM'd jason the other day but to no avail so i was hoping some members could give me tips. Ive got the misfire code and someone had told me to desensitize my knock sensors as im getting a bit of KR even with slight revs of the throttle...even when i was stock i had some false knock and ive heard the 98's are more sensitive than other years so i was wondering if thats something i should look into? Also on the 1-2 2-3 shifts it had been shifting early and just didnt quite feel right as if it were slipping...i know wicketmike had similar issues but dont know if it was ever figured out...im thinkin it has something to do with either my missfires, TM, or the KR but i cant get to autotap it because the car stalls everytime im gettin a good log and then its screwed lol I'll keep trying but with only a couple of days left i was just hoping to get some quick fixes.

lata
Bill
Old 04-11-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I need tips too on the tuning of this cam in my set up. I have the PP 5.3's, M6, 4.10's, LS6 intake, and MAC headers to name a few.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

So the question of the day. Drilling the hole is good right? IAC will sweep less.

Dialing in the TB hex nut to crack it open can push it out of the idle cell?

wimped out on 7/32 ".218" but did 3/16" and now all my warm restart issues are gone.

will update on cold start. Guys what are desirable "cold/warm/hot" IAC counts? (Desired/vs/actual).

I'm gonna get hptuners shortly (car is edited already) so i can adjust this and that. Still getting surging at 1000-1400rpm locked up in 3rd or 4th. So any tips on that would be appreciated.

Only took about 10 minutes to do it since i have had the TB coolant bypass The mod finally paid for itself..

.5V 0% tps 4.61V 100% TPS
3/16" hole drilled = no warm restart problems = still surging at low rpm lockup

So yeah drilling helps. I'm guessing there will be less IAC correctio when i lower the idle down, and i'll probably do 7/32 if the hptuners product allows me to idle lower (Currently set to 1000-1100rpm in/out of gear).

Should in gear be so high as well? Makes the car wanna jump off the light with no brakes.

opinions?

Last edited by samz28; 04-11-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samz28
So the question of the day. Drilling the hole is good right? IAC will sweep less.

Dialing in the TB hex nut to crack it open can push it out of the idle cell?

wimped out on 7/32 ".218" but did 3/16" and now all my warm restart issues are gone.

will update on cold start. Guys what are desirable "cold/warm/hot" IAC counts? (Desired/vs/actual).

I'm gonna get hptuners shortly (car is edited already) so i can adjust this and that. Still getting surging at 1000-1400rpm locked up in 3rd or 4th. So any tips on that would be appreciated.

Only took about 10 minutes to do it since i have had the TB coolant bypass The mod finally paid for itself..

.5V 0% tps 4.61V 100% TPS
3/16" hole drilled = no warm restart problems = still surging at low rpm lockup

So yeah drilling helps. I'm guessing there will be less IAC correctio when i lower the idle down, and i'll probably do 7/32 if the hptuners product allows me to idle lower (Currently set to 1000-1100rpm in/out of gear).

Should in gear be so high as well? Makes the car wanna jump off the light with no brakes.

opinions?
I will also be getting the HP Tuner shortly and would like some help on getting up on the learning curve. I see that you are located in Atlanta, I'm in Cumming Ga., anyway we could get together in a month or so.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

SAMZ28: "Still getting surging at 1000-1400rpm locked up in 3rd or 4th. " I were having sdame problems ( a lot of jerking/snaping at 36-41 mph WITH tc locked up at crueseing )and a freind made some adjustments for me,
GLEN added 8 mph to all the 3rd and 4th gear lock and unlock tables that were under 100 mph now car cruse very smooth - no jerking, because tc is unlockes at this points, can hear moter surging some but do not feel any jerking
Old 04-12-2004, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
SAMZ28: "Still getting surging at 1000-1400rpm locked up in 3rd or 4th. " I were having sdame problems ( a lot of jerking/snaping at 36-41 mph WITH tc locked up at crueseing )and a freind made some adjustments for me,
GLEN added 8 mph to all the 3rd and 4th gear lock and unlock tables that were under 100 mph now car cruse very smooth - no jerking, because tc is unlocks at this points, can hear moter surging some but do not feel any jerking
^^ I don't find this acceptable. I think there's gotta be tuning time to get rid of surging. I have to abide in the 30mph speed limit (got nailed for 68 in 35mph then they lowered it to 30mph) so there's a impala SS with a seargent watching me with lidar i lost several MPG driving around unlocked and imagine the unlocked speed generates lots of heat due to slip heat dissipation. so i gotta tune this right.

dammit judd, you shoulda waited to get your shiz, i'd have let you use my y2000 hptuners save a few bucks Mine will be here tomorrow. I'm in the city, i assume you're out on 400. I got an office up there somewhere. Umm like 3 exits north of the northpoint mall. (not my office, my internet security company).
Old 04-12-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

You can tune that cam without having to modify the the TB and such. The trick is getting your VE table correct, the IAC tables correct, and the decay tables correct.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have not bought mine yet, axle just broke and I have to figure something out there first. If we could meet up somewhere, sometime after you get the software, please let me know. I would really like to get rid of the codes for the airpump, cats, and egr., I would also like to get rid of VATS and the airbag light.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

yeah im working on the iac decay/delay tables its a lot of time alot to learn. most of the example i've seen are not very good.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samz28
yeah im working on the iac decay/delay tables its a lot of time alot to learn. most of the example i've seen are not very good.

Might want to PM HC02SS. He tuned my car for me (first car he ever tuned) and had my IAC's in the 40-50 range at idle within no time. We had to drill my TB 2-3 sizes larger. Did some kinda relearn process, did a couple of changes in the tables and baaam.....perfect.