General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering wheel moves up and down

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering wheel moves up and down

Hey Guys

I can grap my wheel when it is locked and place and pull on it and it will move up and down about an inch, seems to be moving where the tilt mechanism pivot is, I did some searching but couldnt find anyone with the same problem.

I found the same problems on other GM car forums and they have said it is some torx bolts that come loose, but I dont know if this applies to the F body.

I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem and has an answer before I tear into it.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Hey Guys

I can grap my wheel when it is locked and place and pull on it and it will move up and down about an inch, seems to be moving where the tilt mechanism pivot is, I did some searching but couldnt find anyone with the same problem.

I found the same problems on other GM car forums and they have said it is some torx bolts that come loose, but I dont know if this applies to the F body.

I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem and has an answer before I tear into it.
yea my 99 z28 does the same damn thing. the steering wheel can be pulled down and towards the left about 2-3 inches. plus, there is electrical tape all around the steering column, apparently holding the cheesy high beam turn signal switch lever together.. its what i get for getting a 110k mile LS1 car for 3800 bucks
Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM

Check out your steering wheel bushing. Greece it properly before reinstalling. You'll feel a huge difference in handling your car after doing this.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

it feels like the where the wheel pivots on the shaft the wheel moves left and down, im sure theres a post on here somewhere about this problem. i just cant find it. not that it needs to be fixd right away
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

all three of my previous 80's f-bodys and my current 00 SS has the same issue. there is three bolts that hold that steering wheel to the column shaft. just seems to be that there is a air bag on my 00 and not sure how to go around that yet. 80's f-bodys easy!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem on my car also. It only moves down and to the left (7-8 o clock) my bro told me about the 4 torx bolts deep in the column were probably loose. I tore it all the way down to those bolts and 2 were loose. I tightened them all up and put it back together thinking I fixed it. Not the problem. I think it's the plastic / teflon pivot ball (don't know the name) but I haven't had time to go back into the column. Sorry I am no help.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

My 2000 TA does this. Tilt/pivit down and to the left.
What is the fix for this?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Yep I just picked picked up an 02 WS6 with the same problem. It stems from using the steering wheel to support yourself getting in and out of the seat. The guy who owned the car before me was about 6' 4" and couldn't get out of the car without grabbing the wheel. Don't know how to fix the problem but I want to tear into it to see whats going on. My guess is that nothing came loose... something is bent or crushed.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Teching In

have exact same issue with my 02 camaro..
steering wheel goes alittle down and left 8 oclock direction.
will subscribe to this thread just incase someone finds a solution before i do
Old 10-13-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does this too and I searched on here a while back and finally found this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...umn-stuff.html

I swear one of these days I'll get around to doing this. Kind of used to it now lol.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
Mine does this too and I searched on here a while back and finally found this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...umn-stuff.html

I swear one of these days I'll get around to doing this. Kind of used to it now lol.
When I tore mine down in search of this problem, I checked what people were talking about in the link you posted.

For me, part 15 (3-4 screws) were not the problem. 2 were loose, but when tightened and put back together, the problem was still there.

-part 39 are 2 pins that hold the center section where your tilt lever, directional arm, etc. are located. When tearing the column down, you need to remove these. When re-installed and everything put back together, the problem is still there.

-part 61 (4 bolts) were not a problem either.

When I had the column all torn apart, I wiggled it around and the only part that I saw that would give me this movement is a plastic / teflon flex joint. whic is actually part 56-59. I am not sure how to fix this without completely tearing the column apart and purchasing (if you can) the plastic pivot point. This may not be your problem, but mine does the same movement as everyone described, and I know from teardown that none of the previous suggestions in that link were a fix.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 PM

On the diagram linked above, the troubled parts are 62 and 46. The pivot holes get wallowed out allowing for slop. Just got done attempting to rig it but no dice. Replace both and I'm sure it would fix it... If they even sell those separate from the whole column.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jbald
On the diagram linked above, the troubled parts are 62 and 46. The pivot holes get wallowed out allowing for slop. Just got done attempting to rig it but no dice. Replace both and I'm sure it would fix it... If they even sell those separate from the whole column.
I wish that was the case for mine. When 62 and 46 are bolted together with 61 (4 bolts I mentioned) That was not the problem on mine at least. I was still able to get the play when I had it torn apart lower in the column. I saw movement in part 56-59. I have this on 2 columns. I only noticed the problem w/ a junkyard column that I shortened to accomodate a steering wheel. I then put my 35K one back in w/ a different wheel and found that my original had it and I never saw it before and I never lean on the wheel. Pissed me off but I haven't had time to tear into any again.

Some people have the problem of the 2 side pins coming loose. I can definately see that hapening becuase when I used a slide hammer to remove them, I had one out part way and I definately got movement, but that was only a new place of movement for my column.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 03-10-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Has this been resolved yet I'm having the same issue
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues
yea my 99 z28 does the same damn thing. the steering wheel can be pulled down and towards the left about 2-3 inches. plus, there is electrical tape all around the steering column, apparently holding the cheesy high beam turn signal switch lever together.. its what i get for getting a 110k mile LS1 car for 3800 bucks
110,000 miles for $3800! Damn! I paid $6400 for 137,000 miles
Old 08-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to bump an old thread but was this resolved
Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bumping an oldie, my friend tore my column down. The 4 bolts weren't the 4bolts being lose. The 2 pins on the sides came out with a puller but slid back in very easily. The slop was a little better but it's coming back. Maybe next time we take it apart we will look into drilling it out and taping it or something.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I had my column tore apart a couple of months ago and the torx bolts tightened by the dealer. He said they were a little lose but I couldn't tell any difference in the behavior after getting the car back. They said a joint (I forget the exact name) was wallowed out and I needed to replace the entire steering column. I could find them new for $1000(!), but I'm also leary of accurately being able to tell if the problem exists on a used column before spending th installation time. Are there any safety concerns with the column being in this condition?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.columnsgalore.com/rebuilt.htm
http://www.prosteeringcolumns.com/re...ng-columns.php

I couple places to get yours rebuilt or swapped out. I spoke with a guy here in Dallas who would do this for a couple hundred bucks in or out of the car.

This is most times, as mentioned, the wallered out pivot pins. He told me how he fixed them with knurled pins a couple years back. He had done quite a few.

Mine still wobbles because I am to lazy and cheap to get it fixed. It is one of the "someday" items.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel moves up and down