Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR CheaTR or TRuTorq?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TR CheaTR or TRuTorq?

I was looking for a new cam in my daily driver 2001 M6 Camaro. The car already got a slp lid and a magnaflow cat-back, everything else is stock. I don't want to use headers or a ORY because these are illegal here in switzerland.
So I thought putting in either a TR CheaTR v.3 or a TRuTorq Level 1 cam. The car should run like stock so I don't want to sacrifice any driveability. Also it have to pass a smog test (sniffer style). Which one of these cams would you recommend?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forget specs on both those cams but i would go with something custom eps,i would really look into the header deal,its illegal in ohio but its easy to get around,really if ya had a egr hook up w/cats and a full exhaust i would think you could get around it,i would at least go talk to some emmissions people and kinda ask what you could do,maybe not come right out and say what your trying to do but just say you got the car like that,i stress the headers because there is a big gain there on a cammed car,honest if i were you i would do a d1sc and be done,figure price of a cam kit/if your going to do the install or pay labor/then cost of a tune,good used procharger kits are getting pretty cheap and are easy to install, a cam makes the car better but in a few months youll want more,its nice to know with boost while it might cost a lil more ya can bump it up a bit,and just save for a forged block down the road
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

i would suggest to read about Thunder racing before you order any thing from them
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...racing+sponsor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...er-racing.html
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This will have stock-like drivability and be emissions legal with a good re-tune
http://www.engpwrsys.com/index.php?a...od&productId=4
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Ok, thanks for the info! Didn't know that TR have a bad reputation. I will try the EPS cam instead. Is it only stock-like if I get a retune or can I drive this cam on stock tune?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

I would go with Geoff@ EPS or Brain Tooley
Both are great guys to deal with.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglechlapf
Ok, thanks for the info! Didn't know that TR have a bad reputation. I will try the EPS cam instead. Is it only stock-like if I get a retune or can I drive this cam on stock tune?
I ran an EPS 218/226 on the stock tune for 2500 miles however my heads
were also milled .030" so my compression is up around 10.7 to 1. Once the
tune was done it was noticeably better. The little cam I suggested for ya
would drive fine on the stock tune but won't realize the 30 or so horsepower
it's capable of till it's retuned.
Call Geoff at EPS...very knowledgable and informative but also very busy.
Good luck to you.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

We have our own emissions legal cam I designed. It would be perfect for what you want and what you're trying to do.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...1-ls6-engines/
Old 10-06-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could go with a 218(lxl .598")/ 226(lxl .605") with a 115 LSA and 112 ICL. The cam will have -8* overlap. It should have no problem passing emission testing with a good tune, and the lxl lobes should be quiet and provide good valve spring life.

You can contact TSP and have them spec it for you or just click on the cam options on this page and order it.
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-161-com...-camshaft.aspx

Oh, and Martin@Tick, can also spec you a custom cam grind if you want.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-06-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Teching In

You know, its very disheartening to see people who know so little about a situation keep perpetuating it. Not a single person who has dealt with Thunder Racing has been ripped off, cheated out of money or product. Every single person who has placed an order with us has either gotten their product or a full refund if necessary. A lot of people who have complained were never even charged a dime in the first place. Every business goes through rough patches. Many of the people who don't buy from me will still have the nerve to call here and get free technical advice since there are very few shops that have the knowledge we do or are willing to share it. There is so much mis-information in the above posted thread its completely insane. If you have a question, perhaps you should call and check it out for yourself. We are still filling orders and building cars here. Any of the thousands of members here and elswehere will attest to the fact that the advice and knowlege they received from TR are second to none. I on a daily basis correct so many valvetrain setups purchased from other shops its almost funny. If you have a problem with TR call and talk to me.

I'll take care of it.

Shane
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XtraCajunCTS-V
You know, its very disheartening to see people who know so little about a situation keep perpetuating it. Not a single person who has dealt with Thunder Racing has been ripped off, cheated out of money or product. Every single person who has placed an order with us has either gotten their product or a full refund if necessary. A lot of people who have complained were never even charged a dime in the first place. Every business goes through rough patches. Many of the people who don't buy from me will still have the nerve to call here and get free technical advice since there are very few shops that have the knowledge we do or are willing to share it. There is so much mis-information in the above posted thread its completely insane. If you have a question, perhaps you should call and check it out for yourself. We are still filling orders and building cars here. Any of the thousands of members here and elswehere will attest to the fact that the advice and knowlege they received from TR are second to none. I on a daily basis correct so many valvetrain setups purchased from other shops its almost funny. If you have a problem with TR call and talk to me.

I'll take care of it.

Shane
Shane,

People are always looking to kick a dog while it's laying down and you know this.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Shane,

People are always looking to kick a dog while it's laying down and you know this.
Thanks Martin, It's nice to know there are people out there who still have some common sense and courtesy. I appreciate it. We are here and still kicking. I have 22 cars in my shop currently being built. Hurricanes and economy not withstanding, we are doing ok.

Thank you.

Shane

Quick Reply: TR CheaTR or TRuTorq?