Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Cam swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head/Cam swap advice

With Winter right around the corner, it'll soon be time to put the SS away, and I'd like to be occupied while it's in hibernation (and lets face it, we all want to go faster) I wanted to cam my old LT1, but with a high school budget it never happened. I'm new to these kind of modifications, I know I could do them, but I'm clueless as to what setup I should go with.

The car is a 2000 Camaro SS and has 90k on what appears to be the stock engine, it's very quiet, no ticking/knocking/wrapping, so I'm assuming all is well down below. Mod wise it has 1 3/4 headers, 3" TSP true duals dumped out the back, and a tune by Frost, the trans was just rebuilt with some stage 2 goodies, and it has a new LS7 clutch. So as far as supporting mods/parts, I think I'm good.

Budget wise I don't want to go crazy, because I can see myself going crazy engine wise when the old LS1 does croak, as of right now I'm just looking to wake it up.

I was looking at a package like this
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1159-pr...m-package.aspx

With the little research I did do I've heard good things about PRC's 5.3 heads. However cam wise I'm not sure where to go. I'd like it to make most of the power on the low end so the stock bottom end isn't screaming. Driveability isn't that important to me either. Also I was considering putting a small shot of nitrous to it as well

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated guys, because like I said this is all new to me. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
With Winter right around the corner, it'll soon be time to put the SS away, and I'd like to be occupied while it's in hibernation (and lets face it, we all want to go faster) I wanted to cam my old LT1, but with a high school budget it never happened. I'm new to these kind of modifications, I know I could do them, but I'm clueless as to what setup I should go with.

The car is a 2000 Camaro SS and has 90k on what appears to be the stock engine, it's very quiet, no ticking/knocking/wrapping, so I'm assuming all is well down below. Mod wise it has 1 3/4 headers, 3" TSP true duals dumped out the back, and a tune by Frost, the trans was just rebuilt with some stage 2 goodies, and it has a new LS7 clutch. So as far as supporting mods/parts, I think I'm good.

Budget wise I don't want to go crazy, because I can see myself going crazy engine wise when the old LS1 does croak, as of right now I'm just looking to wake it up.

I was looking at a package like this
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1159-pr...m-package.aspx

With the little research I did do I've heard good things about PRC's 5.3 heads. However cam wise I'm not sure where to go. I'd like it to make most of the power on the low end so the stock bottom end isn't screaming. Driveability isn't that important to me either. Also I was considering putting a small shot of nitrous to it as well

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated guys, because like I said this is all new to me. Thanks!

if your wanting to keep it budgeted but freshen everything up, if it were me i would pick up some 243 heads, a good cam (what ever size you prefer whether it be for mid range or more top end, anything over stock makes power) a ported ls6 oil pump ls2 cam gear and timing chain, ls7 lifters, comp cam trunion bearing upgrade for the rocker arms and a proper sized set of push rods. and if budget permits an ls6 or fast 92 intake mani
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat, and I was looking at with going with the 233/239 .595"/.603" cam from texas speed. I think that would be a good cam choice if you have 4.10's as I do. I was kind of up in the air on which heads to go with myself. You might want to look at other supporting mods like gears or even a ls6 intake if you dont already have them. You also dont want to forget timing chain and oil pump. Hope that helps ya out a little bit. Where at in Pa are ya from?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just got my ride a few weeks ago, but with the mods in my sig, I can tell you that i'm VERY happy with this combo! It has a tremendous mid-high range punch, and still makes great power down low. Just thought i'd throw that out there for ya
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think for the ease of doing it, I would go with the package from TSP, the best part is you know all the parts work together well. I would give them a call and tell them your goals for the car so they can select the proper cam for your application. I also would recommend a new oil pump and lifter for sure.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

i have these heads matched milled to 59cc which bumped up the compression to 11:1 which I matched with a TSP 228R Cam and after the tune I am running 405RWHP and 395TQ. I also went with this cam because I am running a 100 Shot of nitrous and with that I am around 503RWHP. but you could go with a 228/230 with a 112 or 113 LSA of you have a 6 speed car and that would raise your torque up to be more around your HP level. This is just my opinion because I have been in this exact place before when i was trying to pick the cam and heads I cam gonna run. All heads and cam will make power but it really is up to you on how drivable you are going to want the car, when you do want power to kick in which would help decided the power band. all things to think about rather then just listening to cammed exhaust clips on youtube. I can say the 228R and 5.3 heads milled to 59cc the drive ability it great and power is good right through the powerband. may end up switching to a 228/230 on a 112 LSA just to bump up the torque.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 04goat350
i have these heads matched milled to 59cc which bumped up the compression to 11:1 which I matched with a TSP 228R Cam and after the tune I am running 405RWHP and 395TQ. I also went with this cam because I am running a 100 Shot of nitrous and with that I am around 503RWHP. but you could go with a 228/230 with a 112 or 113 LSA of you have a 6 speed car and that would raise your torque up to be more around your HP level. This is just my opinion because I have been in this exact place before when i was trying to pick the cam and heads I cam gonna run. All heads and cam will make power but it really is up to you on how drivable you are going to want the car, when you do want power to kick in which would help decided the power band. all things to think about rather then just listening to cammed exhaust clips on youtube. I can say the 228R and 5.3 heads milled to 59cc the drive ability it great and power is good right through the powerband. may end up switching to a 228/230 on a 112 LSA just to bump up the torque.
I have a question for you...are you running a different or custom tune for your nitrous? I wanna spray mine, but i'm not tuned for it at the moment
Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I have a question for you...are you running a different or custom tune for your nitrous? I wanna spray mine, but i'm not tuned for it at the moment
Its a custom tune that will need to be adjusted more once i get my new clutch and am able to run a bigger shot as of right now I only have a 75 shot (switch out form the 100 because my clutch could not handle it) with that I was told by my tuner I will be fine with the tune I have but if I wanted to go with a 125-150 shot he will retune the car for running a higher nitrous application.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its a custom tune that will need to be adjusted more once i get my new clutch and am able to run a bigger shot as of right now I only have a 75 shot (switch out form the 100 because my clutch could not handle it) with that I was told by my tuner I will be fine with the tune I have but if I wanted to go with a 125-150 shot he will retune the car for running a higher nitrous application.
Okay so just I understand correctly, you are running your n/a tune on the 75 shot at the moment then? No changes in the tune for the 75 shot at all? Or is it the custom tune for a 100 shot that you're running, but only spraying a 75 at the moment?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well like I said I am on a budget but its nothing crazy strict, I just don't want to go crazy spending 4k on a H/C swap. Just looking to wake the car up and make it a respectable street machine. I think contacting TSP will be my best bet
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Okay so just I understand correctly, you are running your n/a tune on the 75 shot at the moment then? No changes in the tune for the 75 shot at all? Or is it the custom tune for a 100 shot that you're running, but only spraying a 75 at the moment?
The tune is a NA tune nothing at all to do with the nitrous. when i change the jetting and get a new clutch I will be getting a new tune done to be used with the 100+shot of nitrous
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Well like I said I am on a budget but its nothing crazy strict, I just don't want to go crazy spending 4k on a H/C swap. Just looking to wake the car up and make it a respectable street machine. I think contacting TSP will be my best bet
its not a 4 grand install you are looking at around 2200-2500 for all parts to do the heads and cam and if you are going to install it yourself the information you will learn will be great just take your time and do it with a friend or someone who has done the swap before and again take your time. or go on ls1howto.com I think the site is.( Great Information)

heres a idea of everything you are going to need to do a head and cam swap and TSP sells all of this but some things can be found at your local auto parts store.

-Heads PRC Stage 2.5 heads assembled heads with dual springs on beehive, milled to what you like if they offer(TSP will help you with this part)
-Cam I like to 228R or even the MS3 which is a little bit bigger and will take alittle more to tune but really up to you the 228R is really driveable and wakes the car up my GTO
-SLP 160 degree Thermostate
-Head Bolts
-Crank Bolt
-Pushrods
-Upgraded Oil Pump (milling)
-Upgraded Timing Chain
-Turnion Upgrade
-(you could change the lifters if you want dont need to but you can since they have to come out anyway)
-GM MLS Head Gasket
-Header Gaskets
-Timing cover gasket
-Front seal
-Water pump Gaskets yes there are 2
-valve cover gaskets
-intake manifold gaskets
- Upgrade Harmonic Balancer
-Oil
-Oil Filter
- Coolant (dexcool)
-AC Recharge
-Dyno Tune I would say don't go with a mail order tune

I think this is everything i dont think i am missing anything. IF you are on a budget and are looking to just pick up some power you could also just do a cam ad spring/retainer upgrade and you would cut your costs in half really. also again if you do just a cam and spring swap. take you time make sure you prop up the lifters dont let them fall when taking the cam out theres a tool for this or wooden dowels. also make sure you align the timing cover and use RTV on the corners. Kent Moore makes a tool if you can find one but again take your time do not rush
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its not a 4 grand install you are looking at around 2200-2500 for all parts to do the heads and cam and if you are going to install it yourself the information you will learn will be great just take your time and do it with a friend or someone who has done the swap before and again take your time. or go on ls1howto.com I think the site is.( Great Information)

heres a idea of everything you are going to need to do a head and cam swap and TSP sells all of this but some things can be found at your local auto parts store.

-Heads PRC Stage 2.5 heads assembled heads with dual springs on beehive, milled to what you like if they offer(TSP will help you with this part)
-Cam I like to 228R or even the MS3 which is a little bit bigger and will take alittle more to tune but really up to you the 228R is really driveable and wakes the car up my GTO
-SLP 160 degree Thermostate
-Head Bolts
-Crank Bolt
-Pushrods
-Upgraded Oil Pump (milling)
-Upgraded Timing Chain
-Turnion Upgrade
-(you could change the lifters if you want dont need to but you can since they have to come out anyway)
-GM MLS Head Gasket
-Header Gaskets
-Timing cover gasket
-Front seal
-Water pump Gaskets yes there are 2
-valve cover gaskets
-intake manifold gaskets
- Upgrade Harmonic Balancer
-Oil
-Oil Filter
- Coolant (dexcool)
-AC Recharge
-Dyno Tune I would say don't go with a mail order tune

I think this is everything i dont think i am missing anything. IF you are on a budget and are looking to just pick up some power you could also just do a cam ad spring/retainer upgrade and you would cut your costs in half really. also again if you do just a cam and spring swap. take you time make sure you prop up the lifters dont let them fall when taking the cam out theres a tool for this or wooden dowels. also make sure you align the timing cover and use RTV on the corners. Kent Moore makes a tool if you can find one but again take your time do not rush
Thanks for all the info! I'd also like to run a small shot of nitrous as well. I was thinking 100 shot
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

you may want to think of a clutch and a tune for the nitrous if you want to use a 100 shot or bigger my clutch cant take it why i only am running a 75 shot but its always good to talk to a tuner by you or talk to TSP and there advice is always good to help you meet your needs

Quick Reply: Head/Cam swap advice