Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

returnless boost reference regulator diagram needed..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default returnless boost reference regulator diagram needed..

going to run stock LS1 returnless fuel rails on my turbo 4.8.

will this work?

Name:  ACDF39A6-BE39-48C6-A5AC-E73017865967-808-00000274DEB44BEA.jpg
Views: 7855
Size:  320.7 KB
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silver Sleeper

will this work?

should not run it this way. the rails should get the psi, and then the regulator after the rails regulate it down, and return fuel. Doing it like you want to will deadhead the pump more(s) and really heat them up, and burn them up (killing them).
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Its going to work just fine.

Just keep the reg as close to the rail as you can
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Launching!

the reason i asked is becuase i found some threads on here and they said it would work, i just wanted to double check..i was told its not ideal but it will work..that was coming from someone who was running 9's with this configuration on yellow bullet

Originally Posted by dmaxvaz
should not run it this way. the rails should get the psi, and then the regulator after the rails regulate it down, and return fuel. Doing it like you want to will deadhead the pump more(s) and really heat them up, and burn them up (killing them).
i think im going to run it this way for now..thanks

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Its going to work just fine.

Just keep the reg as close to the rail as you can
Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
8 Second Club

I had my reg deadheaded from seriously the rear bumper for two years

Low 9s 700ish whp, no problem
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The further away the regulator is from the rails the less it can compensate for pressure drop across the feed line.

Might not be a problem with a big feed line but the most accurate way to do it is by having the regulator on the return side as close to the rails as possible.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Launching!

i will mount the regulator as close as i can to the fuel rail.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, should not be a problem. It's been done many times, skinnies is probably the most notable user of the setup. Less than ideal, sure, but it works. That's how mine is setup.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my set up runs exactly like this, burned one pump up after about 3 years and 5k miles replaced them both incase the other was weak and kept rocking on.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's how the stock returnless systems run. If GM thinks it works, then it works.

The speed at which a pressure drop at one end is felt by the other end is equivalent to the speed of sound of that medium. So basically, no difference at all. Overall flow rate through this system is equivalent to a return style system because the regulator itself isn't a restriction of flow to the injectors. So having the regulator close to the stock rail or farther away makes absolutely no measurable difference.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by killernoodle
That's how the stock returnless systems run. If GM thinks it works, then it works.

The speed at which a pressure drop at one end is felt by the other end is equivalent to the speed of sound of that medium. So basically, no difference at all. Overall flow rate through this system is equivalent to a return style system because the regulator itself isn't a restriction of flow to the injectors. So having the regulator close to the stock rail or farther away makes absolutely no measurable difference.
GM ran it that way to save money. The fuel demand is alot less in stock vehicles, than it is with turbo cars with large injectors, ect.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

So having the regulator close to the stock rail or farther away makes absolutely no measurable difference.
100% incorrect.

The more demand you place on the fuel system the more pressure drop you will see across that line.

Only way to overcome that would be to run a massive feed line and fittings which would be much more expensive than just installing the regulator at the rails.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:05 PM
8 Second Club

-8 i saw 5 psi difference from rail to regulator at the back of the car fwiw

Transient responce of manifold pressure to fuel pressure at the rail was actually very good, it surprised me for sure.

I had done it to keep the bay cleaner, i did change it this spring whe. I planned on pushing up the power
Old 10-17-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INTMD8
100% incorrect.

The more demand you place on the fuel system the more pressure drop you will see across that line.

Only way to overcome that would be to run a massive feed line and fittings which would be much more expensive than just installing the regulator at the rails.
Who said he was using stock 3/8" line?

For 1/2" (-8) straight fuel lines, you are looking at a pressure drop of between .01 and .02 psi per foot for the fuel flow rates 2 walbros can put out, so putting the regulator 8 feet farther from the rails would only introduce a .16 psi difference between the injectors being turned off and the injectors at full flow. If you are worried about a less than a 1psi variance in fuel pressure at the rails between 2 different setups, then you worry too much

Obviously adding restrictions like right angles and narrower lines tend to add additional pressure drop, it shouldn't be difficult to tune out the difference.

The main reason why people like the regulator up at the rails (besides the bling factor) is because an adjustable regulator is easier to adjust when it's there vs under the car.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Sleeper

will this work?

Yes, it will work perfectly fine.

Although I would be inclined to tee the FPR off the feed line, rather than flowing the fuel through the regulator.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:35 PM
FormerVendor

Who said he was using stock 3/8" line?

For 1/2" (-8) straight fuel lines, you are looking at a pressure drop of between .01 and .02 psi per foot for the fuel flow rates 2 walbros can put out, so putting the regulator 8 feet farther from the rails would only introduce a .16 psi difference between the injectors being turned off and the injectors at full flow. If you are worried about a less than a 1psi variance in fuel pressure at the rails between 2 different setups, then you worry too much

Obviously adding restrictions like right angles and narrower lines tend to add additional pressure drop, it shouldn't be difficult to tune out the difference.

The main reason why people like the regulator up at the rails (besides the bling factor) is because an adjustable regulator is easier to adjust when it's there vs under the car.
Rotory1307 who posted directly before you stated a 5psi drop with a -8 line. That's more than less than 1psi variance.

I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't just do it correctly and regulate it right at the rails so it's the most accurate rather than trying to "tune out" variances in fuel pressure.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Rotory1307 who posted directly before you stated a 5psi drop with a -8 line. That's more than less than 1psi variance.

I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't just do it correctly and regulate it right at the rails so it's the most accurate rather than trying to "tune out" variances in fuel pressure.
He also didn't state how this was measured. Transient pressure drop from 0 throttle to full throttle? Static difference in pressure? With 2 different gauges? With 1 gauge? Hell, you would get a 1psi difference in pressure with the same regulator just mounting it 2 feet lower in the car because of the difference of head pressure.

If you think you know better than GM engineers as to how to "do it correctly" then just keep thinking that.

Getting back to the OP's original question. "Will it work?" Yes, it will.

If you want to run 2000 horsepower, you may want to revise the layout, but it will 100% certainly work with the setup you provided.

Last edited by killernoodle; 10-18-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 PM
FormerVendor

He also didn't state how this was measured. Transient pressure drop from 0 throttle to full throttle? Static difference in pressure? With 2 different gauges? With 1 gauge? Hell, you would get a 1psi difference in pressure with the same regulator just mounting it 2 feet lower in the car because of the difference of head pressure.

If you think you know better than GM engineers as to how to "do it correctly" then just keep thinking that.

Getting back to the OP's original question. "Will it work?" Yes, it will.

If you want to run 2000 horsepower, you may want to revise the layout, but it will 100% certainly work with the setup you provided.
GM doesn't boost reference the regulator at the rear of the car. Will it work? To a degree but not correctly.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GM doesn't boost reference the regulator at the rear of the car. Will it work? To a degree but not correctly.
You don't have to boost reference every FI fuel system. If you have 60 psi fuel pressure and are boosting 10 pounds, then you just have 50 psi of effective fuel pressure. As long as you have enough injector flow at 50 psi fuel pressure at that horsepower level, then you can tune in the additional injector duty cycle.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 PM
FormerVendor

I know what you can and can't get away with, I'm simply stating the correct way to do it.

Quick Reply: returnless boost reference regulator diagram needed..