Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

bent my studs on s60

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bent my studs on s60

Went to the local drag strip today and after making 3 passes launching on limiter, I went back to the pits to change my wheels back to the street wheels and I noticed that my studs were now screwed up. I just ordered a set of ARP studs in the same size (1/2"x20) from Summit, but then I read somewhere that they need to be the screw in type not the press in type? Can anyone verify this? If so I will have to call up summit and get different ones. Ive attached some pics of the bent studs. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails bent my studs on s60-wheel-studs-1.jpg   bent my studs on s60-wheel-studs-2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Strange axle are screw in. At least mine are. I have a set I removed with mcgard lugnuts if interested. Removed them to install longer ones in.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that an older s60 rear. I just put one in my camaro and hope strange has fixed this problem.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
Is that an older s60 rear. I just put one in my camaro and hope strange has fixed this problem.
nope I bought it new last year.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you contact strange regarding your problem? If they are aware of the problem and get feeback then maybe they will help out by paying for new studs.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Can you confirm the Stud size and type, press-in or threaded, 1/2"-20 or metric?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This isn't the first time I've seen something like this, and I'm not surprised it happened here either. Anyone doing hard launches should upgrade their studs to ARP, no questions asked, even on an aftermarket rear like this. It's cheap insurance. I didn't even see markings on the studs that came with my Strange 12-bolt, so I have no idea how strong they were. Since I wasn't using my car for drag racing, it was never an issue, but I wouldn't have thought twice about replacing them if I was.

At least they only bent instead of shearing off...consider yourself lucky.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Also, see this thread for the same problem/issue:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...eel-studs.html
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I really think lug style is a contributor. I'm running stock diameter and length Moser studs that have seen 7 years of launches on slicks off the limiter, but running the shanked lugs that came with my Bogarts. Have never had an issue.

OP wasn't hooking particularly hard that day either, and his S60 lugs are quite beefy (much moreseo than mine) though not ARPs, but he is running a regular lug. Theoretically the shanked lug is going to have a larger surface area to absorb and distribute the force through the stud on the lug to wheel surface.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
Did you contact strange regarding your problem? If they are aware of the problem and get feeback then maybe they will help out by paying for new studs.
I called them to order bearings and told them my issue, no apology or anything lol. I didnt expect much

Originally Posted by AmKenpo1
Can you confirm the Stud size and type, press-in or threaded, 1/2"-20 or metric?
1/2"-20 Strange stock

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
This isn't the first time I've seen something like this, and I'm not surprised it happened here either. Anyone doing hard launches should upgrade their studs to ARP, no questions asked, even on an aftermarket rear like this. It's cheap insurance. I didn't even see markings on the studs that came with my Strange 12-bolt, so I have no idea how strong they were. Since I wasn't using my car for drag racing, it was never an issue, but I wouldn't have thought twice about replacing them if I was.

At least they only bent instead of shearing off...consider yourself lucky.
Yeah its funny you mention that. When I first got my rear I started reading all the horror stories about people shearing studs and I actually bought a set of ARPs but I ended up giving them to my friend cause I was too lazy to pull the axles out of my brand new rear. I figured since they were bigger studs Id be ok for the once or twice a year I go to the track....I guess I figured wrong lol.

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
I really think lug style is a contributor. I'm running stock diameter and length Moser studs that have seen 7 years of launches on slicks off the limiter, but running the shanked lugs that came with my Bogarts. Have never had an issue.

OP wasn't hooking particularly hard that day either, and his S60 lugs are quite beefy (much moreseo than mine) though not ARPs, but he is running a regular lug. Theoretically the shanked lug is going to have a larger surface area to absorb and distribute the force through the stud on the lug to wheel surface.
Theoretically I can break anything, including your face.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

its the lugs/wheel combo not the studs

if youre launching hard on wheels that use a tapered seat acorn style lug run an ET style lug and itll fix your problem

Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
its the lugs/wheel combo not the studs

if youre launching hard on wheels that use a tapered seat acorn style lug run an ET style lug and itll fix your problem

yeah we came to that conclusion from how NHRATA01 has been launching on slicks with shank lugs for like 100 passes now on stock size studs with no problems and I have 6 passes on my new rear with bent studs. lol
Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by silversrtman
Theoretically I can break anything, including your face.
Theoretically if I'm in my car and you're in your car, I'll never have to worry about it.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

where do i get the [E T lugs] napa, o'reilly's etc ?? 1/2 x 20 . thanks the oldman...

Quick Reply: bent my studs on s60