Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost kissed my Engine Goodbye!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Almost kissed my Engine Goodbye!

A friend from our local site, wanted to do a photo shoot of my ride to do some type of blog. I agreed since it was going to be free and would get some copies of all pics.
I wanted my ride to look its best and went out to the car wash to get it nice and clean. While at the car wash, one of the attendants came up to me and said... Hey you got some type of leak! i looked under and sure enough, a huge puddle of engine oil and a stream still dripping. I turned off the car to do a better inspection, but no stream... I Was like WTF!!! turn it on and there it is. I made down to an autozone down the street and bought some oil. Top'd it off and hauled asz home. Since i had just done the heads, i thought it was going to be them, So i went at it, took off the intake and what do i find!!! The dang engine oil pressure sensor was leaking when the engine was on, and had noted that it was a lil loose when the head swap but payed it no mind.
Got the sensor and the specialty socket and got it replaced, and no more Leak!!!

This was a close one, if it wasnt because of the car wash near my house. I would of seized my baby while on the highway... And that would of Sucked Big Time.

Just thought i share...

Last edited by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A; 10-28-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd buy the car wash guy a gift card or something. Sounds like he just saved you quite a chunk of change
Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
I'd buy the car wash guy a gift card or something. Sounds like he just saved you quite a chunk of change

Yeah no kidding man, I will... Tipd him 10 bucks, but that ain't nothing compared to what it would of really cost me.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****, good find! I had a close call myself, swapping to a BeCool radiator. A hose had a crack so I didn't notice the leak right away, but it got worse over time. After smelling coolant during a drive, pulling over, and spotting the source, I stopped into a convenience store for some water... well eight stops (for radiator top-offs) and almost three gallons of water later, I made it home lol. Home was only 30 miles away.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Thats the reason some of the old timers tell us to check, double check, triple check, everything if you do mods. Lolz
Old 10-28-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

I lost a motor that was in my 96Z28. Oil pressure sensor back out while I was cruising at 70 on the freeway on the way to a meet. Wasn't paying attention to the gauges heard the lifters/rockers go dry looked down and 0psi..
Old 10-28-2012, 02:23 AM
11 Second Club

oil pressure sending unit, not an engine pressure sender lol. good save.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oChristiano
I lost a motor that was in my 96Z28. Oil pressure sensor back out while I was cruising at 70 on the freeway on the way to a meet. Wasn't paying attention to the gauges heard the lifters/rockers go dry looked down and 0psi..
Thats exactly what would of happend to me... After all the work Ive done, it would of been a crappy way to go out.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28_LS1
oil pressure sending unit, not an engine pressure sender lol. good save.
Hey hey hey guy, let us talk like we know what we are doing here!!! lolz but thank you for pointing that out.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that if you never found the leak and were cruising on the highway you would have noticed the oil pressure drop and the engine temp start to spike before you blew the engine. As the oil got lower and lower your engine temp would have kept getting higher and higher. Glad that guy spotted it though.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully you would have noticed the low oil level light on the dash when it got too low. But glad the guy noticed it for you.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Usually when that light is on, its usually too late by then...dummy light s sure do work well.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Damn! Lucky man, thats a close call. Glad you got it fixed, i know the heartache of losing an engine.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Hopefully you would have noticed the low oil level light on the dash when it got too low. But glad the guy noticed it for you.
I cant thank those guys enough, but my oil sensor was messed up to begin with, oil pressure gauge was peg to max, and would intermittently read correctly. So i never payed attention to it, and if there where a problem, i would of only noticed it by the Temp gauge. Still, when things go wrong sometimes we just dont pay attention. Now that i installed the new sensor, all is nice and normal, just have to deal with cleaning the back of the bay and everything under the car.

Just the thought of engine failure makes me mad, lolz... I would of kicked my own asz i swear!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude I am SO HAPPY everything turned out OK. Right after I bought my car I changed the oil. I had maybe 1000 miles on it and I'm cruising down the hwy. and that dummy Oil Level light came on. Instantly I spring into action and check all the gauges...everything is normal. I stab in the clutch and cut the key off. Luckily there was a gas station so I coast in there and let it sit for a few minutes after seeing no puddles I pull the dip stick it was a hair above ADD. Bought some Castrol GTX poured it in there...said a prayer and started her up THANK God no noises and its never happened since.

Moral of the story: the dummy lights might be dumb but it sure saved my ***.

Quick Reply: Almost kissed my Engine Goodbye!