Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on the 4.8/5.3 im buying

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on the 4.8/5.3 im buying

hey guys one of my coworkers has a 4.8/5.3 he pulled from a Tahoe when my job use to be a Chevy / Chrysler dealer but Chevy pulled out. but what my question is he forgets what year it is its at his house and im going to look at it tomorrow. its only a motor no harness or computers and it needs one piston. Chevy warrantied the motor and for Chevy it was cheaper to put a whole new motor in the swap a piston i guess and he had a blow 4.8 from his truck at home he used for the core. and what my question is what should i pay for it and is it possible to buy a used single piston or should i buy a used piston & rod?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it. Maybe less. If it needs a piston, no telling what machine work it needs. Why does it need a piston? If it's cracked or melted, it's going to need bored which means your buying the other 7 pistons as well. You could easily have more in it than it's worth.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would prob buy the matching rod with the used piston just because they have worn as a pair, also because usually if the piston was mangled then the rod usually takes some damage even if you cant tell by eye, I would probably just throw new bearings main and rods just to have a clean slate...you could probably get away with just the piston and rod but taking it to a machine shop to get checked out might save you some money down the road....I would pay probably 300-400 for that engine based in the need for a new piston/rod

Oh yeah the easiest way to tell if its a 4.8 or 5.3 is to look through the spark plug hole and see if you have flat tops which would be a 4.8 and if dished its a 5.3....even easier is to pull the head lol...anyway good luck man
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Teching In

ill see if he will take $200-250, oh and i have another question do i need the computers if im swapping the motor into my 91 foxbody? im going to use megasquirt and MSD for fuel & spark. im all new to swapping motor i believe i need the computers but i might as well ask you guys cause i barley know anything about there motors.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Local junkyards have 4.8/5.3s for dirt cheap 200-300 bucks for a long block. Don't waste your money on that engine look around for a good one at a cheap price if you're looking for a 5.3 check the crank part number it should be 12552216
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the time/money/parts it will take to fix it, I'd pass on it and buy a decent runner from a wrecking yard with a warranty for roughly $500 or so.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by anheuserbusch08
Local junkyards have 4.8/5.3s for dirt cheap 200-300 bucks for a long block. Don't waste your money on that engine look around for a good one at a cheap price if you're looking for a 5.3 check the crank part number it should be 12552216
so if i get a long block what else do i need? if i remember long block comes with heads and intake but no accessories right? but from a junk yard ill get a harness but do i need the computer?
Old 10-27-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NJREDNECK
so if i get a long block what else do i need? if i remember long block comes with heads and intake but no accessories right? but from a junk yard ill get a harness but do i need the computer?
Usually, you'll get engine,intake with injectors, and manifolds.....no alternator,starter,PS pump,etc. Sometimes, you'll get them with a harness (which you'll have to mad anyway)....you'll have to buy a PCM.

Of course, all of this will vary by company. You might find someone willing to sell you a complete engine with all accessories for cheap....just search around.

Quick Reply: question on the 4.8/5.3 im buying