Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tired of Security Light

My security light stays on, all the time. When I bought the car, the previous owner had installed an aftermarket cd player, a sub, and new speakers, plus two little tweeters on the A-pillars. I took all that junk out except the new stock location speakers and the tweeters and put the stock cd player back in and got rid of the big damn box where the ttops go in the back. But my security light stays on constantly. my car starts, runs fine everytime but that damn light stays on! How do I get the damn thing to turn off??
Old 11-10-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find out what code is set and fix it or kill the bulb!!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can a typical obd2 handheld scanner read this code, or do I need to get my tuner to pull it up with hptuners?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Your stock security sys has a few different settings, I think the prev poster was referring to that, look in your owners manual for more info on how to set it.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok...thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will need something that can scan the body computer
Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

According to the owners manual, the only reason the Security light on the gauge cluster stays on constantly even if the car starts and runs fine, is b/c of the stupid Passkey II system. Guess that means my resister chip is junk.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you turn the key on and the bcm doesn't see the proper resistance value from the key then the car will not crank and the pcm will not receive the fuel enable signal. Chances are someone has already tuned the vats out in the pcm and rewired the starter relay. Which will leave the light on!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought the car in December of last year...bone stock...and its never been flashed or tuned...until I had it done. I know the two previous owners.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then get the bcm scanned and get the security code. I'm telling you that if your key or cyl is toast the car will not start.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok. Is there no way the audio shop that put the stupid stereo system in the car messed up a wire in the dash or anything? I took that stuff out and put the stock cd player back in, but they had a sub and rca jacks, and a usb port added in the wiring...a bunch of crap i didnt want.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The codes in the manual have nothing to do with the security light...that is to program the headlights, map lights, signal flashers, etc. I am not talking about the blinking red light on top of the dash. I am talking about the security light on the gauge cluster.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moeZ28
The codes in the manual have nothing to do with the security light...that is to program the headlights, map lights, signal flashers, etc. I am not talking about the blinking red light on top of the dash. I am talking about the security light on the gauge cluster.
No **** thats what I've been talking about the whole time. GET THE BCM SCANNED FOR SECURITY CODES. NO ONE CAN HELP YOU FIX IT IF WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IS BROKEN
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by moeZ28
My bad misunderstood, read dash light not cluster light.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Of all the vats problems I have fixed over the years, 90% of the were cut wires from the ignition key cylinder. Everytime one turns the key the little wires bend and wear and after a while the will break. Here is a picture of the wires i am talking about:

this is a newer version with better wires insulator but same basic set up. The old wires that break were usually orange and white instead of 'clear' wrapped. I bet one of these is cut. The car will usually start with a cut wire as long as battery power hasn't been disconnected and the last key used to start the car had the correct chip in it. The light flashes to tell you at that point there is obviously a problem. If battery power was lost then the car wont start. Unfortunatly you have to remove the steering wheel and S.I.R. coil to physically check the wires. Hope this helps some...
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an aftermarket steering wheel and no airbag crap anymore...Have an air bad light on cluster as well...but the security light was on before i did all that so i know that wasnt it. I have had the battery disconnected on a few occasions...the car always starts and runs fine. just has that security light on the cluster...it never blinks...just stays on solid.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figure it is something to do with the key or ignition switch, if there is no way the stereo guys could have screwed up some wiring.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the same issue. my bet is on the lock cylinder wire being bad, i just havent pulled it to check yet.

i see you mentioned you dont have airbags anymore.. how did you get that light off?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Wanted to mention the possibility that if he had a bunch of stereo crap in there he may also have had a remote starter, which means they may have tinkered with the passkey stuff with one of those passkey fakeout boxes or something and didn't wire it well.

Originally Posted by daturbosix
i got the same issue. my bet is on the lock cylinder wire being bad, i just havent pulled it to check yet.

i see you mentioned you dont have airbags anymore.. how did you get that light off?

Quick Reply: Tired of Security Light