Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door Speaker upgrade on 2002 Camaro SS w/Monsoon amp...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Speaker upgrade on 2002 Camaro SS w/Monsoon amp...

I've been trying to research replacing the door panel speakers for my '02 SS with the Monsoon amp, and while I think I have my answer already, I'm not entirely positive how it can actually be done, as the wiring doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

My current setup for the car in terms of audio is all stock with the exception of a Kenwood DPX-308 head unit and CDT HD-6M mid-woofers for the sail panels.

My understanding is that from the factory, the door panel speakers on the Monsoon cars had a positive and negative lead for both the mid-range and tweeter sections, respectively, of what is essentially a coaxial speaker.

Firstly, is this fully accurate?

Secondly, are there a type of component speakers out there that have this separated input but coaxial physical design? It seems all of the component setups out there are designed to take in a single signal and split it to physically separated tweeters and mid-range speakers.

Lastly, would I still be able to get a full range of sound if I simply wired a single-positive-and-negative coaxial speaker to what would have been the factory mid-range wires in each door(basically treat it as if the tweeter leads didn't exist)? If so, what should I do with the tweeter leads?

I swear, for as great as GM is at designing powerhouse motors, they really do some stupid **** when it comes to electronics sometimes.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...selection.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...placement.html

People use the terms "coaxial" and "2-way" interchangeably, because most, NOT ALL, coaxial speakers are 2-ways with a single input. This leads to a lot of confusion. You want a convertible set of component speakers, a set of component speakers where the tweeter can be coaxially mounted., but not a typical 2-way set.

Yes, you could get a full range signal into a pair of 2-way speakers using only the leads from the cone, but you would surrendering half your available power going to that position.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Since you already have CDT subs in the sail panels, you will be pleased to learn that CDT is one of a limited number of companies that make coaxially mounted component speakers. Our sponsor Kee Audio carries them. This type of speaker is often called "convertible" because they are usually designed so that the center mounted tweeter can be detached and mounted separate from the mid/woofer. You can probably find other brands by searching for "convertible component speaker".
Old 11-12-2012, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys.

The search is on now. I like the CDT subs, but I've seen some standard 2-way coaxials that advertise better frequency response range than the CDT convertible component speakers (how badly I'd love to put Infinity Kappas in the door...), so I kinda want to see what other options I have before I pull the trigger on those.

Can't complain too much though, considering anything is an upgrade over stock when it comes to the head unit and the speakers.

EDIT: Also, having found at 6LE designs a tweeter panel that replaces the mirror-mount triangle panel on the door, I'm considering going that route instead since traditional component speakers seem to be significantly cheaper than the convertible ones. I suppose if I went that route that I could conceivably get rid of the supplied crossover since the signal is already split?

Last edited by MrBluGruv; 11-12-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

We just had a customer replace the CDT he was unhappy with in his car with the Hybrid Imagine convertible components and loves them. We are one of the few authorized online Hybrid dealers as well. Just call me for package info on these.

http://youtu.be/xNXH4JYhZp0
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

The CDTs I currently have are in the sail panels, and I think they produce pretty good bass, even though that cavity is terribly wasteful for channeling bass. The only thing I could ask for out of the sail panels is a pair of speakers that can reach even lower bass and with more power.

For the door speakers, I think I'm pretty much settled on Kicker KS65.2 speakers, their specs are impressive and it looks like even when mounted in a coaxial setup it will fit fine in the standard door mount without hitting the speaker grills.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Default Wiring 2-way 6.5 speakers in doors

If I wire the mid cone speakers in the door to a 4ohm 2 way alpine speaker will instill get output from the tweeter on the 2 way speaker.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, but why would you want to give up three quarters of your output power? Half for only using one of the two channels in the door and half again for using 4-ohm speakers to replace the 2-ohm originals.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, 3/4 reduction assuming the sensitivity levels of both sets are the same... some aftermarket 4 Ohm speakers will create more volume than the vintage OEM 2 Ohm speakers with the same power going in.

But yeah, still a bad idea giving up the amp channel for the tweeters. That's pretty much flushing 2 of the amp channels on the Monsoon down the drain.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Capricio
Well, 3/4 reduction assuming the sensitivity levels of both sets are the same... some aftermarket 4 Ohm speakers will create more volume than the vintage OEM 2 Ohm speakers with the same power going in.
Gee, I remember saying that once or twice...
Originally Posted by Monsoon FAQ
Replacing the factory speakers is mostly a matter of finding suitable speakers that fit and sound the way you like. Much has been said about the different impedance levels of the factory speakers and most aftermarket speakers but this is not a critical factor. Replacing factory 2-ohm speakers with aftermarket 4-ohm ones would normally cause a loss of volume because of cutting the output power in half. Cutting the power in half does not result in half the volume... it results in a 3dB drop in volume which is noticeable but not a huge difference. That assumes that the speakers have the same sensitivity (efficiency). If the replacement speaker is at least 3dB more sensitive than the original speaker then there will be no loss of volume. The factory speakers are notoriously inefficient so almost any decent aftermarket replacement, regardless of rated impedance, is going to sound better.

Quick Reply: Door Speaker upgrade on 2002 Camaro SS w/Monsoon amp...