Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1994 Camaro LQ4/T56

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1994 Camaro LQ4/T56

Hello all,

Picked up this Camaro last week for a decent deal, owner had other expenses (kids and house) and had to let it go, so I got a screaming deal on this car. This Camaro was originally a V6 5 speed car, now rocking a 2002 6.0L with a T56.

Mods:
2002 LQ4 6.0L
LS1 intake and accessory drive
90mm T/B, custom CAI
GM Hotcam, double roller chain
ported oil pump
36 lb/hr injectors
FAST fuel rails, -8 AN lines all the way to the tank
Long tube headers, 3in single exhaust, single flowmaster.
3.54 rear disc axle from a 98+
T56 six speed, Z06 clutch/flywheel

Already had to fix some things (no vacuum connected to FPR) but there is plenty more to do! The wiring is scary to say the least, but the car runs. The fans are on a manual switch, which is not necessary. The PO put together a custom dash with autometer gauges, half the gauges work currently,and there is no SES light. There is no underdash F/B and half the wiring was done with HomeDepot wire. The headlights don't work. Luckily I also got the stock gauge cluster with the car, so I'll be re-installing that along with building a new underdash harness. I'd love to find a complete vehicle harness for a 98-02 Camaro LS1 car but I doubt that'll happen.

Pics:

Its a good start at least, and I did get the complete car for the cost of the drivetrain. Stay tuned for wiring nightmares!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

For the past week I've been putting in some time de-wiring the dashboard. Its a mess to say the least, but I've made headway.

I started with this.

Bunch of autometer gauges, generic digital speedometer, tiny tach in front of speedometer.

Right now I'm at this.

Mostly cutting and tracing wiring. My plan is to restore basic circuits to the car for lighting, radio, wipers, etc. Re-install the stock gauge cluster. I have Delphi style 4 gang fuse blocks on the way, since the underdash F/B is gone.

Hopefully all done and working in a week.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Fixed the wiring nightmare! All lights work properly, stock gauge cluster is wired in, fixed the fans so they are activated by the PCM as they should be.

Money shot:

Yep PVC cold air intake. Need a clamp. The guy also built that high mount alternator bracket to clear space for turbo piping.

Interior today:

I replaced the steering column because of issues with the old column, thats with the wheels straight ahead, the guy hacked the old column so he could stick the wheel on in any position now we need an alignment to fix.

Hey its all together and (hopefully) driveable. The little tach in the radio pocket is there until the PCM is reprogrammed to output the right signal to the gauge cluster.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work! Youve got yourself a sleeper now
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

yeah its a hard time to buy someone elses car especially with wiring issues...the guy had switchs and wires everywhere in my car had to trace everyone and sort thur them..its very time consuming.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Yup it was a little scary a first, even after building a TPI harness for my C10. Started with wire slipper and a labeler. Got it all neat, just need connectors for the horns to finish up.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

ya it takes a while but after a while u figure it out lol
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Great work. Im stuck on mine, I bought an entire dash to upgrade the car. It came with Z28 cluster and behind the dash harness. My problem is i also bought a painless wiring harness for the LQ4 so how do I get them two to mate together? I also noticed the front of my car sits up higher now with the BMR Kmember and lower control arms.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like it, good luck and hats off to you for taking on that wiring nightmare! I know most of us have nightmares about dealing with something like that!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOOOOWW dude sick job with that wiring i think id loose my mind not to great with electronics good engine drivetrain wise thats all hahaha congrats keep up the good work
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS14RS
Great work. Im stuck on mine, I bought an entire dash to upgrade the car. It came with Z28 cluster and behind the dash harness. My problem is i also bought a painless wiring harness for the LQ4 so how do I get them two to mate together? I also noticed the front of my car sits up higher now with the BMR Kmember and lower control arms.
The may want to refer to themerv's threads on LS1 4th gen wiring conversions, he has some helpful information on mating the chassis harness with the engine harness

Originally Posted by manfred717
I like it, good luck and hats off to you for taking on that wiring nightmare! I know most of us have nightmares about dealing with something like that!
Originally Posted by etrain783
WOOOOWW dude sick job with that wiring i think id loose my mind not to great with electronics good engine drivetrain wise thats all hahaha congrats keep up the good work
I've gotten pretty good with a soldering iron and wiring diagrams lol. Its tedious but the end result is worth it.

No real updates, just waiting for nicer weather to drive this thing!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

good job so far man. I'm a little OCD on these fourth gens so my two cents is to get the engine bay nice and clean and get er painted! haha
But honestly sweet job.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
Nice work! Youve got yourself a sleeper now
Never considered any Fbody ASLEEPER!?! LOL
Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Do you know if the V6 K-member was used for this swap? Im currently doing a LM7 swap in a 95 V6 Camaro. Kinda hard to find a LS1 k-member up here in Canada.
So the V6 guages should work with this swap?

Last edited by ReduX; 02-23-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: forgot a guestion
Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

You need the LS1 k-member to do the swap, that is how this car was done. If you find a k-member, try to get it as complete as possible, as you also need the LS1 steering rack and shaft to clear the engine properly.

This should help -> https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...on-sticky.html

As for the gauges, they will work just fine. You will need to program your PCM to output a 6 cyl tach signal for the tach to work right. Speedometer uses the same signal (4000ppm). You need a 1998 LS1 Camaro CTS to provide the signal to the temp gauge.

Wiring details are here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lt1-car.html

I unfortunately cannot provide pointers on how to entreating the car harness with the LS1 engine harness. The thread above can help.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good soo far!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

So update is overdue. After fixing all the wiring, and installing a fuel pressure gauge, we find out the fuel pressure is at 19 psi. Adjusted fuel pressure to max (have an aeromotive regulator), no change. Ok, so cut a hole in the floor and and pulled the sender. Blown hose on the dual pump setup. Replaced both rubber hoses, 3rd one is fine. Reinstalled, fired up, and adjusted pressure to 58 psi. mannnn....... She goes now!

So, now it's running and driving. Well, now we want to tear it apart. The wiring sucks, I patched it all and made it safe but it sucks. The PO really hacked up the engine harness, and all the other wiring as a matter of fact, and didn't use shrink tube. On anything. Not even the engine harness Plus my GF and I aren't fans of the 4th gen. So engine, trans, seats, gauge cluster, and rear brakes are going into the 1980 Z28 parked behind the barn. It's not pretty but its mostly solid and I think would just need some mechanical work to be roadworthy. Then I would just need a new engine harness.

So, my question is, what would this 1994 rolling shell ready to accept an LS engine be worth? No rust on the body. It'll need a wiring harness, I'll be taking cutters to the existing one since its worthless. This is not a for sale post, just looking for opinions here.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

6LE gauge panel loaded with ProSport fuel pressure gauge and LC-1 AFR gauge.

Re-purposed ashtray for James Bond hideaway switches

Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM

This car is now for sale as a roller

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4046926466.html
Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

hahaha i would have done the same thing. pull the goodies and sell the roller. fixing someone elses wiring issues is always a huge PITA.

Quick Reply: 1994 Camaro LQ4/T56