Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

OEwheel options for RR, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question OEwheel options for RR, what do you think?

So I'm currently running a set of 4 chrome zr1 9.5" wheels on 275/35/17 NT05 rubbers and was wanting to upgrade to a 315 wide tire on all 4 corners. At first I started looking for some used CCW classics but started pricing out OEwheels that would be less than half the cost new.

So my first instinct was to go with a silver zr1 wheel 17x11,bs=8",os=50mm, which I've heard won't give any problems. Now I'm looking at these http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...Wheel-gunmetal. An 18" wheel will let me run a big brake kit in the future which sounds nice. Specs are 18 x 10.5 bs=8", os=56mm. I'm novice at wheel specs so I don't know if I'll run into problems mounting these wheels. I read in another post that a 1/4" wheel spacer on the fronts will be needed to clear the caliper. Will I be able to mount a 315 tire to a 10.5" wheel? Do you for see a problem with this wheel if/when I do upgrade to a big brake kit? Thanks for your input guys, just want to cross my t's before I pull the trigger.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Which brake kit do you plan on?

17's will clear a c5 or 13" rotor combination...probably will still need the spacer. I needed one.

18's will let you go up to 14" or newer GM rotor combination (c6, cts-v, etc.). Probably will still need the spacer to clear most large calipers in this category.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a set of OE Wheels 18"x10.5" in C5 five spoke design. They fit without any spacers on my car but I do run some small spacers just to push them out a bit. I'm LS1 front spindles with the C5/C6 front brakes.

Wheel 1
Wheel 2
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replys. Planning on upgrading to a 14" BBK or do the C6/Z06 upgrade.

Jeff, that's exactly what I plan on doing. Thanks for the pics, I figured someone here had to have used those wheels. For the price you cant beat it. I'll be in it wheels and tires for the same price some used forgelines/CCW's would cost.

What size spacers are you using? What's your clearance look like with the LS1 spindles and C5/C6 calipers.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fixinitup
What size spacers are you using? What's your clearance look like with the LS1 spindles and C5/C6 calipers.
I think it's a 5/16" front spacer and the clearance with my brakes is huge. My street wheels are 17"x9.5" AFS Wheel ZR1 replicas and I don't run any spacer on them at all. The clearance on them is tight so with an 18" wheel you can add 1/2" clearance to the picture below to get some idea. I can't find any good pics of the 18" wheel to brake caliper clearance.

Brake Caliper Clearance
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

^^^
would love to see some pics of your Trans Jeff94TA. You have pretty much exactly what Im looking to starting to build right now.
I worried, about brakes at the moment. You have C6 fronts? Are they the base front or the Z06's? I have 17"x8.5 fronts, and worry that I wont be able to clear the calipers on a larger than stock rotor.
What has more braking power, 4 piston calipers with a smaller rotor, or 2 piston calipers with a larger rotor??

OP: the wheels pictured look sick, OE makes good stuff. Youll be happy you went with them.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd
^^^
would love to see some pics of your Trans Jeff94TA. You have pretty much exactly what Im looking to starting to build right now.
I worried, about brakes at the moment. You have C6 fronts? Are they the base front or the Z06's? I have 17"x8.5 fronts, and worry that I wont be able to clear the calipers on a larger than stock rotor.
What has more braking power, 4 piston calipers with a smaller rotor, or 2 piston calipers with a larger rotor??

OP: the wheels pictured look sick, OE makes good stuff. Youll be happy you went with them.
In my opinion, 17x8.5 is not wide enough...but it depends on application. I didn't like the way my car felt when I had these on the front of my car. Especially in comparison with 245's and 275's up front. I now have 295 upfront...way too big for a 8.5 wheel.

I think you should clarify your question about brakes. Are you looking for stopping distance for daily use or brake consistency for racing use?

In theory, a larger surface area (larger pad and rotor combo) will stop shorter than stock. But this can be misleading depending on your application.

More pistons will give you more consistancy...usually want road racers want. I have 6 pistons up front and they are way more consistant than my oem. But that also has to do with pads, rotor design, and size.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

I had to run spacers to clear the caliper. OEM 17" SS wheels w/ Wilwood 12.8" rotor and 6 piston calipers.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jesup16
I think you should clarify your question about brakes. Are you looking for stopping distance for daily use or brake consistency for racing use?

More pistons will give you more consistancy...usually want road racers want. I have 6 pistons up front and they are way more consistant than my oem. But that also has to do with pads, rotor design, and size.
I am working on putting together a car that I can AutoX on weekends, and take around a road track we have in town a couple times a year. I will still be driving the car on the road, but very little. Mostly to and from AutoX events. I am just starting out, so I hope to not have to buy a different set of wheels just yet, as these havent even seen on the car yet!

The tires you have pictured above, are they on a 8.5" rim?? Im trying to figure what is the widest I can go on these wheels without issue.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jesup16
Which brake kit do you plan on?

17's will clear a c5 or 13" rotor combination...probably will still need the spacer. I needed one.

18's will let you go up to 14" or newer GM rotor combination (c6, cts-v, etc.). Probably will still need the spacer to clear most large calipers in this category.
C5 and C6 run the same rotors. C6Z are larger than base C6. Just want to clarify. I run base C6 calipers and rotors under stock 17" Zr1 wheels.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Also, a 315 on the front with a 5/8" spacer is going to put a lot of stress on the front wheel bearings. I hope you plan to replace these often considering the weight of the wheel, the width, how far out the weight is, and the abuse it will be seeing.

My suggestion - a brake duct kit directed into the center of the rotor should help keep the bearings cooler - not to mention - the brakes themselves. These cars are heavy, and it doesn't take much to spread the calipers. I've lived it and Learned it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

picture above is on stock 17x9...or 17x9.5...I can't remember what OEM size was for 1997 SS.

For now I only auto-x. I need to vac the brake lines and upgrade the brake fluid. Plus, i'd like to run a set of ducts as '01 ss vert' mentions. I'm trying to decide what path to take.

315's are a lot of stress...I agree. I'm curious as to how much damage I will rack up with 295's in front.

Quick Reply: OEwheel options for RR, what do you think?