Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double Din Qs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Double Din Qs

Been searching and found info on the Pioneer Avic D3 but not too many others.

I was into the Alpha Nav from DoubleD but realized I would rarely use the Nav feature.

I would really like to have a nice HU with customizable backgrounds/splash screens/wallpapers. I see the Kenwoon 512/5120 has this feature but you almost cannot find them outside of ebay.

Are there any newer HU with this features that isnt in excess on $750+?

I've gone through avic411.com but haven't really seen a list of units with customizable screens.

This may seem a petty reason to want a double din outside of audio performance, but I'm fed up with stock componenets. I'm not picky on sound and am not real savvy on audio stuff, so I don't need an techy overloaded unit, but I have is awful and might as well have some "coolness" if you get me.

Last edited by '02 WS6; 01-07-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
Been searching and found info on the Pioneer Avic D3 but not too many others.

I was into the Alpha Nav from DoubleD but realized I would rarely use the Nav feature.

I would really like to have a nice HU with customizable backgrounds/splash screens/wallpapers. I see the Kenwoon 512/5120 has this feature but you almost cannot find them outside of ebay.

Are there any newer HU with this features that isnt in excess on $750+?

I've gone through avic411.com but haven't really seen a list of units with customizable screens.

This may seem a petty reason to want a double din outside of audio performance, but I'm fed up with stock componenets. I'm not picky on sound and am not real savvy on audio stuff, so I don't need an techy overloaded unit, but I have is awful and might as well have some "coolness" if you get me.
TBH your not gonna find "audio performance" with a sub $750 double DIN, most if not ALL in that price range have 2 Volt RCA preouts (like the D-3, as I used to have one) and if your looking for "audio performance" I would suggest you only look at HU's with 4 Volt and UP preouts to go to your amps (it makes a HUGE difference) in the years (about 3 IIRC) I had my D-3 I think I actually used the NAV maybe 5-6 times, really ask yourself just how often to do go somewhere that you don't know how to get there and if you have a smart phone there REALLY is no need for a NAV HU.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's my thinking as well with any Nav setup. I don't think I worded myself properly though, as audio isn't a big priority either. I am just so fed up with stock that I finally want to upgrade. I'll basically be running the stock component upgrades through one of Kee Audio's speaker pkges and getting a double din. No comp setup with subs or anything like that. Just want a clean setup that I can change the splash screen on really. Pretty pointless reason to get a double din I know, but that's what I want over the hideous single din setups, IMO.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

All of the current Kenwood DDX series have custom background capability. They range from the DDX-319 (around $320) to the DDX-719 (around $500). The DDX series is basically the same as the DNX series without the navigation. Sound quality when connected to the factory Monsoon amp with upgraded speakers is quite good - certainly much better than the stock system.

Also, if you have an iPhone 4 or 4S, the DDX series has built-in support for the Garmin Street Pilot On-Board app for navigation through the head unit - so you could have navigation without having to buy the more expensive DNX series.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-08-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you very much. That's the info I was looking for.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Went ahead with the Kenwood DDX319. Sonic Equipment sells them for $239 new, not refurbished. Also got a DD bezel, install kit and some Bazookas for sails.

My next question, everyone having success with the Pac-Swi working to add steering wheel controls? I've heard they're hit or miss. Also, where are ppl mounting their backup cameras and is it worth the add-on?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Well, I sure hope you don't have any problems with it because Sonic Electronix is not an authorized dealer and Kenwood has specifically stated that they will not honor any warranty on products purchased from Sonic Electronix:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Support/Ca...nsumer_Warning

In fact, despite their claims, Sonic is not an authorized dealer of most of the stuff they sell. That's why it's so cheap - much of it is grey market (product designated for other markets and imported without manufacturer's authorization). It's not illegal but it voids the warranty of most manufacturers.

There's nothing wrong with buying from them as long as you know what you're getting and decide that low cost is worth the lack of warranty and support.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's good to know. It was between a new Kenwood or used Avic-D3 so either way I'm fooked if the unit messed up lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Well, I sure hope you don't have any problems with it because Sonic Electronix is not an authorized dealer and Kenwood has specifically stated that they will not honor any warranty on products purchased from Sonic Electronix:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Support/Ca...nsumer_Warning

In fact, despite their claims, Sonic is not an authorized dealer of most of the stuff they sell. That's why it's so cheap - much of it is grey market (product designated for other markets and imported without manufacturer's authorization). It's not illegal but it voids the warranty of most manufacturers.

There's nothing wrong with buying from them as long as you know what you're getting and decide that low cost is worth the lack of warranty and support.
same with Sonic and Pioneer

Quick Reply: Double Din Qs