Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run this kit? (high level of noobness)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I run this kit? (high level of noobness)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ow-switch.html

So I came across this kit in the classifieds. He tells me it's 100 percent complete and it seems like a good deal for some good power.
Will this work with my stock LS1?

How difficult is the install? How much can I expect to have to pay for the install?

Is a tune required? This might be a completely retarded question but I have to ask considering I won't be able to afford one for a while. Is it at all possible to run this kit safely and effectively without a tune?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People have ran 100 shot without changing the timing. As others have said wouldn't do it though.

You need to have a way to pull timing.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
People have ran 100 shot without changing the timing. As others have said wouldn't do it though.

You need to have a way to pull timing.
Thanks, I'm assuming a tune is the only way to do that? If I can find someone in my area with a hand-held programmer willing to help me out would that work?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could but then you'd lose the NA power by taking the timing down all the time. Also a handheld will not change the timing map.

Get yourself a MSD 6AL or Mallory 685. It allows you to put timing only when the nitrous is activated. They say rule of thumb is 2* of timing for every 50 shot. So a 150 should have rule of thumb about 6* of timing pulled.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
You could but then you'd lose the NA power by taking the timing down all the time. Also a handheld will not change the timing map.

Get yourself a MSD 6AL or Mallory 685. It allows you to put timing only when the nitrous is activated. They say rule of thumb is 2* of timing for every 50 shot. So a 150 should have rule of thumb about 6* of timing pulled.
So this kit comes with jets for an 85 shot. So would I need to pull 3* or 4*? And sorry but what does * represent?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Simple answers:
* = degrees. Referring to timing.

1) Yes you can run this kit and installing it would be relatively easy to do yourself...so no money for install. (There are plenty of videos and threads on installing these type kits)

2) If you don't pull timing...you're asking for a much bigger bill for engine damage than a tune would be. You can get a mail order tune from Frost with timing being pulled for a very reasonable price. Mine automatically pulls timing any time my solenoids are activated and returns to normal timing when they deactivate.

3) Your stock LS1 loves n2o! But, supporting mods will help to get the most out of your shot. Nitrous is liike crack! You'll want more after your first shot!!

4) You wouldn't F@#k a woman you just met in a bar without a rubber would you?
Then don't run the n2o without the same protection. You can run nitrous and not hurt the LS1 if you do it safely. Fuel pressure switch, wot switch, window switch, pull the correct timing and run the right plugs.

OR Just Spray and PRAY!!! If it blows up you can always look at it sitting in the garage.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Launching!

on a 85 shot I would think two degrees should be fine. I sprayed my 2k ws6 with a 100 shot on a stock tune(no timing pulled) for about 3 years or so without any problems. **=degree
Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you MFJ. Looks like I'm gona have to hold out on n2o for a while then until I can afford to get a tune along with a kit. I don't have anything more to spend than what this kit costs. So I guess my money would be better spent on other mods right now.

It's confusing to read that and then read posts like bernarlitt's though. Did you just hook it up and go? Did you spray it often over the course of those 3 years?

With an 85 shot only spraying it maybe 2-3 times a month what are the chances of damaging things? The car has 75k miles on it if that makes a difference.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

we would still recommend looking at pulling timing. The base timing on the LS1 is usually around 26 degrees. With completely stock some customers have not had to remove timing. This is not the case for every car because every car is different.

That is a good base kit to start out with. I would recommend window switch.

If i were you and wanted to get this kit i would still pull the 4 degrees of timing to be safe. You might be down on power but will be safe. If you know how to read spark plugs then i would slowly add timing back into the car until i got it right. Only if you know how to read plugs correctly would i add timing back in.

Spraying your car every once in a while should not have many negative effects on motor as long as you do things correctly.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Thank you MFJ. Looks like I'm gona have to hold out on n2o for a while then until I can afford to get a tune along with a kit. I don't have anything more to spend than what this kit costs. So I guess my money would be better spent on other mods right now.

It's confusing to read that and then read posts like bernarlitt's though. Did you just hook it up and go? Did you spray it often over the course of those 3 years?

With an 85 shot only spraying it maybe 2-3 times a month what are the chances of damaging things? The car has 75k miles on it if that makes a difference.
There are people who have run a 100 shot with no timing pull and had nothing happen to the motor. But then again others have tried it and blown their motor up. So I would rather be on the safe side myself. A 75 shot isn't a huge shot of nitrous. A 100 or 150 shot you're just asking for trouble eventually.

PM me and I'll go over what I have on my car and what I paid total. It wasn't all that much and install was pretty easy and clean.

Last edited by MFJ; 01-18-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet
we would still recommend looking at pulling timing. The base timing on the LS1 is usually around 26 degrees. With completely stock some customers have not had to remove timing. This is not the case for every car because every car is different.

That is a good base kit to start out with. I would recommend window switch.

If i were you and wanted to get this kit i would still pull the 4 degrees of timing to be safe. You might be down on power but will be safe. If you know how to read spark plugs then i would slowly add timing back into the car until i got it right. Only if you know how to read plugs correctly would i add timing back in.

Spraying your car every once in a while should not have many negative effects on motor as long as you do things correctly.
I don't know how to read spark plugs so I won't try it. How is it done?
You make it sound like it's pretty simple to just add or remove timing. I thought a tune was necessary to remove timing so would a retune be needed for every adjusment? Or am I missing something?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I don't know how to read spark plugs so I won't try it. How is it done?
You make it sound like it's pretty simple to just add or remove timing. I thought a tune was necessary to remove timing so would a retune be needed for every adjusment? Or am I missing something?
well depends on what you are using to pull timing. Lingenfelter LNC-2000 is just a turn of the ****. Handhelds all you have to do i click threw some options.

Here is a good article on how to read plugs

http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ning&Itemid=56
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Neal@NitrousOutlet
well depends on what you are using to pull timing. Lingenfelter LNC-2000 is just a turn of the ****. Handhelds all you have to do i click threw some options.

Here is a good article on how to read plugs

http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ning&Itemid=56
Great article. Thanks for putting up that link. If I change plugs right before the run but I can't idle the motor to get it to temperature to run what would I do then?

Quick Reply: Can I run this kit? (high level of noobness)