Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Those with a narrowed rear....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those with a narrowed rear....

I've had a moser 9" for 6 years. Love it but like the look of the deep dish wheel but dont want to narrow it just for that simple purpose. I was wondering at what point did you guys have a "need" to narrow your rears or did you buy it that way to start with? I guess what Im asking is how fast can you go before it becomes something that needs to be done?

Thanks for any input as I am moving foward with my car and looking for change.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

i dont think there is any reason why a person would need a narrowed rear but if you do then that means the axles would be shorter so to me i would think it would make the axles stronger. kinda like breaking a stick, the shorter you make it the harder it is to break. i think bob from brute speed is narrowed only a inch on each side and his car does wheelies
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Weight savings, reduced rotating mass, allows to tuck a tire further back, which gets a tire out of the air, therefore has less resistance.

Lots of racing science behind narrowing a rear and tucking a tire in.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think the axles would be tougher to break for their shortness. Pretty interesting topic since I plan on narrowing mine.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

All are true and valid points for sure. I'm guessing when I get to a 1.2x 60' ill prolly have the need for stronger axles at that point. Also helps that my car is much lighter than most. Helps with the stress factor when launching.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah thats a good reason for why I am also planning on narrowing mine.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a obvious question but, when you get a rear end narrowed 3" does that mean
1.5" per side?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolt-OnM3
Might be a obvious question but, when you get a rear end narrowed 3" does that mean
1.5" per side?
Most people will flat out say 3" per side, if you are unsure you just have to ask. Some people have a different way of saying the same thing. Wish there was a set rule.

I just had my Moser 9" narrowed 3" per side over Thanksgiving. I did it because the back wheels stuck out of the wheel wells too much and the inner 1/4 panel lip would rub on the outside of my tires. I didn't want a slashed tire or trashed 1/4 panels.

Most people I see that do a 3" per side narrowed rear, change their rim offset 3". I decided to only change mine 2" so it would suck the wheels inward more and eliminate my contact problem. Weight loss was a great bonus and I wish I would have weighed everything to find an exact number. And the deep look changed the car completely to me and I didn't need to mini tub it. I went a little different then most and stuck w/ an 8" rim. Didn't need 10's and didn't want the extra weight. plus as a bonus, when you get the housing narrowed, if the tubes are somehow bent, when mounted on the jig and new ends welded the problem is corrected. Mine were both slightly bent towards the front of the car 1/8".
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate the input. Looks like when I order the rearend I need to get custom wheels at the same time.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Yeah thats a good reason for why I am also planning on narrowing mine.
With that said about how much $$ we looking at to do this to make it worth not buying a whole new rear?... Obviously gotta get new axles and have the ends welded back etc. In my case im going to upgrade to 5/8" studs while in the process and change the gear.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
With that said about how much $$ we looking at to do this to make it worth not buying a whole new rear?... Obviously gotta get new axles and have the ends welded back etc. In my case im going to upgrade to 5/8" studs while in the process and change the gear.
Price isn't bad. You don't need new axles if the diameter of the splined section is the same as the rest of the axle diameter. Moser respining fee is $125. To get the housing narrowed is $145 if you have them reuse the existing ends. Then they charge approx $80 shipping. Then add in what it costs you to ship to them.

What power level are you at to upgrade to 5/8 studs? 1/2" ARP should be fine unless you have big plans for the future which then yes it would be good to upgrade. Then if you are going for big power, you have to look at what the reccomended power level for the center section is.

If all you do is ship it to them, have them narrow it and reuse the ends, respline the axles and ship back, then it would be approx $450-$475
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

I figured if im going to have the axles redrilled for larger studs may as well just get 5/8's and never worry about it again lol. My downfall is the 31 spline axles, if i could do it over again I would've ordered the rear with 35 spline gundrilled axles Got the alum center section and pinion support with it though.

Quick Reply: Those with a narrowed rear....