What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Camaro SS Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Camaro SS Convertible

My brother is considering buying this car. Has anyone had experience with a 200K plus mileage LS1? The car seems in great condition but 200K seems like the engine can't last much longer, am I wrong? I think it has about 365 Hp with the mods he has so I assume that makes the engine work a little harder as well. Just wanted to get yall's opinion so he doesn't waste his money. There are check engine lights he hasn't had looked at yet but those are so common that I don't really know how much stock to give them. The car looks great inside and out and starts up every time. How much you think it's worth??

- 1998 Camaro SS Convertible 6 Speed manual
- High Performance Brakes
- Top End of the motor Rebuilt and cleaned
- New Tires front and back
- 1200 Watt Mono Stereo with a 12 inch Apline Type R sub in the trunk
- Fully Rebuilt Transmission with warrenty and paper work
- New paint job 1 year ago
- New Top
- Car Just hit 200,000 Miles. Supposedly runs like its brand new.
- slight tear in the back seat top because of leather cracking.
- Full exhaust system with new pipes and a serious 80 Flowmaster loudmouth Exhaust
Attached Thumbnails 1998 Camaro SS Convertible-car1.jpg   1998 Camaro SS Convertible-car2.jpg   1998 Camaro SS Convertible-car3.jpg   1998 Camaro SS Convertible-car4.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I know you want honesty, especially for a family member.
In my book, 200,000 miles is too much, and I don't care what has been done to it. A car with that mileage usually means a potential 'money pit' in the future, and a very unhappy F-body ownership experience.
Are there exceptions? Sure, a one owner, mostly highway miles car. Maybe...
Old 02-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the honesty. That is kind of what I was thinking and afraid of. I was trying to see what people thought it was worth in the event that he buys it and the engine goes. I mean, if you broke it down by parts (new tires/wheels, door panels, exhaust, engine parts that were still good, body etc, I wonder what he could salvage in cash. Either way that's a rough mindset way to go in to a car purchase, but I am curious of the value with that many miles in case he is set on it. What kind of F-body options are you looking at with 5 grand? I bought a 57K 2000 formula for 4600 but now I feel like that was a steal and not something I can find him for the same budget. Plus this car looks much sportier than a formula lol
Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Teching In

I think it depends on price. For a certain price you could drop a new engine it.. It does have a new transmission.. It depends on how it was treated. I would say go check it out if it's close enough.. What are they asking?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Default ss

4500 if it runs good!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Teching In

it was listed for 7 and he will take around 4600 I guess after they bartered back and forth.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Teching In

transmission isn't new I guess but it is under warranty he says.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFRESCUE
Thanks for the honesty. That is kind of what I was thinking and afraid of. I was trying to see what people thought it was worth in the event that he buys it and the engine goes. I mean, if you broke it down by parts (new tires/wheels, door panels, exhaust, engine parts that were still good, body etc, I wonder what he could salvage in cash. Either way that's a rough mindset way to go in to a car purchase, but I am curious of the value with that many miles in case he is set on it. What kind of F-body options are you looking at with 5 grand? I bought a 57K 2000 formula for 4600 but now I feel like that was a steal and not something I can find him for the same budget. Plus this car looks much sportier than a formula lol
I remember that car you 'stole'. No, you won't find another one like that.
$5,000 for a decent LS1 F-body isn't going to happen 99 out of 100 times. It is the classical oxymoron.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camaro SS Convertible