Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting and staying in gear issues, help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy shifting and staying in gear issues, help please

Alright fellas, got a 2001 Camaro V6 Automatic (yes its slow i know ) ...well i'm having a few transmission issues and last night everything got worse.

here are all my issues (Gurus get ready)

#1. 'ASR off' light would come on randomly, but it seemed to happen more when it was humid or raining, and i couldn't turn it off unless i shut the car off and restarted it.

#2. When 'ASR off' light came on the car felt like it would start in 2nd or 3rd. It was just a sluggish take off. RPMs felt higher then normal for the acceleration i was having.

#3(the complicated one). when it is really humid or raining the car would "sputter" while accelerating, especially on RPM's higher then about 3500. Also when i would brake for a light or just let off the gas to coast the car did this thing to where it would like almost turn off. The RPMs would drop below idle and the car would feel like its about to shut off then it would jump back up and run like normal... it would do this like every minute. BUT when i threw it in neutral to brake or coast it idles fine, brakes fine, everything is fine.

#4. the last issue started last night, while accelerating i was going about 35-40 mph at about 3000-3500 RPM and i was at about half throttle when the RPM just shot up like i bumped it in neutral mid acceleration. I let of the gas and the car felt like it just thumped back into gear and accelerated normal ONLY up to about 3000 RPM where it would just shoot up in RPM again like it popped out of gear or something. Also if i just eased on the gas maybe 1/4th or 1/3rd throttle it accelerated but very sluggishly like it was in a higher gear. and if i gave it more gas it would just slip outta gear and as soon as i let off the gas it would thump back in gear.

I've done some searches but they haven't yielded any results.

Are these issues related, what do you guys think.
any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Update

I just dropped the pan, and i found what looked like silver metal shaving in the oil not to many but they were definitely noticeable.

I changed the Transmission filter with one from pep boys. and i added 24oz of Lucas and topped it off with Dex III.

it now holds each gear at half throttle (was a little scared to push it or WOT). but its is still acting like it wants to shut off while i coast or brake. also while i am going up hill its shaking a little like something is loose.

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

also, how what s ball park to have the transmission rebuilt?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Have you scanned for codes - probably free at Pep Boys?

When the cars starts very sluggishly it is probably in "Limp mode" and starting in 3rd gear. The reason can often be determine by checking for codes.

Describe the metal shavings - length and width.
A severely worn forward sprag would give you the symptoms you describe and might leave metal shavings.

For a V6 a stock rebuild should be sufficient. Ball park would be $500 to remove/install trans and $800-$1000 for a stock rebuild. (A heavy duty sprag is available as there have been many failures.)

I suspect you are experiencing several problems at once which makes it difficult to diagnose. A good rebuild should take care of it. But first check for something simple and start with a scan.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Launching!

none of the codes in my car would affect the transmission.. i do have a CEL light on but its the the Evap canister which i don't care for cause i don't live in an emisson county
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Tranny is slipping sounds like it time for a rebuild
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes sounds like the trans is well on its way out changing the filter increased fluid volume and pressure which was a band aid but its time for a trans, We do deal in these v6 units. A level 1 should be fine or being that you really need both a trans and converter the Heavy HAULER SERIES might be your better bet and would be great multi purpose use. http://performabuilt.com/heavy%20hauler%20700-60E.html
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Yes sounds like the trans is well on its way out changing the filter increased fluid volume and pressure which was a band aid but its time for a trans, We do deal in these v6 units. A level 1 should be fine or being that you really need both a trans and converter the Heavy HAULER SERIES might be your better bet and would be great multi purpose use. http://performabuilt.com/heavy%20hauler%20700-60E.html
Frank
i use this car just to get to and from work... nothing more. what do u think the rebuild will cost me... do u guys install also? were are you located
Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Our prices are listed on our homepage just click sig picture shows all we offer, We do not do installs. We are located in sugarloaf PA but ship all over the world and shipping to any place in the mainland USA is included in the listed price.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: shifting and staying in gear issues, help please