Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 reverse

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and at the same time ask 2 basic questions.

My car is a 68 Camaro with a BB 454 all cast (yes even the heads lol) and I am primed to take out 685 bls of steel to possibly drop an L92 engine from a '10 escalade. I think I'll be shaving about 250 lbs off the nose. Would that be a good estimate?

Last weekend I purchased a T56 but as I was shifting it I can't seem to put it in reverse. I was wondering if there is some kind of electronic lock that makes it impossible to put it in reverse while it's sitting on the floor. Or is there something wrong with my tranny?

I have a B&M shiffter on it right now.

Thanks for your input!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No lock on reverse. Have you tried spinning the input shaft while shifting in to reverse ? Also just to be clear you are going to the right and up with the shifter ?

Welcome BTW.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Teching In

^^^ Thats wrong theres is a reverse lockout solenoid on it,it looks like this
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
No lock on reverse. Have you tried spinning the input shaft while shifting in to reverse ? Also just to be clear you are going to the right and up with the shifter ?

Welcome BTW.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing.

Originally Posted by 2000sprayedss
^^^ Thats wrong theres is a reverse lockout solenoid on it,it looks like this
ok, that's what I thought, so it would be impossible to put it in rev. without taking the selenoid out?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's the solenoid which opens the reverse gate. Otherwise there's a big mean spring in there. You can "crash" through it in the event of a solenoid failure but you have to push kind of hard. Some people leave it that way. I found it real annoying.

When you wire it up, a lot of people either use a shifter with a button, or like I did on my Monza, wire the solenoid into the brake light circuit. (just "t" it in) Tap the brakes, easy shift to reverse. Just remember to wire in a diode on the lights side of your splice or the back feed from the lights will leave the solenoid on when the headlights are on.

Here's a thread where a few fellas were taking the solenoid apart and replacing the big spring for a lighter one. I suppose that would be an option as well.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-solenoid.html
Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

I just swapped a T56 in to my iroc. I didnt like the idea of having it wired to my brake switch. That means ever time I go to downshift while on the brakes, i run the risk of shifting into R by accident. I wired mine to a toggle switch. It works great. The lockout simply has 2 wires, one for 12 v one for a ground.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Launching!

I did the same thing when I t56 swapped my gt, If you don't want to run electricity to it look in mustang forums for info on replacing the 2 springs with one that is lighter so it will be easier to put in reverse manually, I did the toggle switch because I was too lazy to pull mine apart
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaro1185
I just swapped a T56 in to my iroc. I didnt like the idea of having it wired to my brake switch. That means ever time I go to downshift while on the brakes, i run the risk of shifting into R by accident. I wired mine to a toggle switch. It works great. The lockout simply has 2 wires, one for 12 v one for a ground.
Never had the problem myself. Barely used 6th due to the cam I had WHAP WHAP WHAPing my locker at cruise speeds under 70. You kinda have to go out of the way to get reverse, but I guess it depends on the shifter.

When I have the Monza back on the road It'll be MegaSquirted so I'll just wire up and configure an output to turn on under 5 mph like the factory computers do.

Quick Reply: T56 reverse