Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBE 5.3L 4l80e 3.73 gear Mild cam, how much nitrous for 9 sec slip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SBE 5.3L 4l80e 3.73 gear Mild cam, how much nitrous for 9 sec slip?

Hey Guys,

I am bouncing back and forth between power adders and have always been interested in Nitrous but a little wary of it because of my proclivity to not know when to say enough is enough.

That being said, if I wanted to rip a 9 sec slip in a 3500lb car with driver, MT drag radial, 3.73 gears, 4L80e and an appropriate converter while going with a more mild cam to maintain street manners, roughly what shot would I be looking for?

I would prefer to progressively bring it in so that my drivetrain lives a long and happy life...

Appreciate the feedback...I will do some more extensive searching later tonight when I get home from work, but was just curious as to what this would take.

Thanks in advance!!!
Dave
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 4l80 robs a lot of power. if you have a really good converter and have the suspension dialed in you might could do it on 200,but, more than likely 225-250. It will take low 1.4 60 ft and low 6.30 1/8. What is your suspension mods, tire, and what converter? What kind of kit and fuel system do you have?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
That 4l80 robs a lot of power. if you have a really good converter and have the suspension dialed in you might could do it on 200,but, more than likely 225-250. It will take low 1.4 60 ft and low 6.30 1/8. What is your suspension mods, tire, and what converter? What kind of kit and fuel system do you have?
Hey, thanks for the reply.

As far as converter I was going to go Yank or PTC...stall has not been chosen but I was considering a custom 3600-4200 variety with a properly chosen Nitrous cam.

No nitrous kit chosen yet but I would be going with Nitrous Outlet as Neal has
been really forthcoming with Tech advice as well as patient. I am still leaning towards the Turbo idea but I have ALWAYS loved a big cube small block idea then throw some juice on top of it. This would get me going for now, then I could creep up on 9s.

As for suspension, I used to race this car NA in the high 10s low 11s on stock suspension with comp engineering shocks and drag bags in the rears. 28x9-15 Hoosier slicks...it was a great set-up and insanely consistant.

Thanks again for your interest!
Dave
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would give Greg @ FTI or Chris @ Circle D a shout. We have had really good luck with both of them on several different cars and combos. They seem to have a really good handle on setting up converters for the 4L80E and the 6L80/90 E. Can't go wrong with Nitrous Outlet. we run his plate and probably switching to either a fogger or his spray bar setup with Vic Jr.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a similar setup (but with a built 4l60e). i took it to the track and on the 3rd pass i ran 11.8 @ 120 1.8 60ft on a 175 shot with low bottle pressure (700). Im running a wet nozzle with a zex race efi nitrous kit. i plan on dialing it in on a 200 shot then adding my other nitrous kit for a 100 hit out of the hole. also looking for single digits but its gonna be hard with my full weight camaro and impossible till i fix my broke ten bolt lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

I would give Greg @ FTI or Chris @ Circle D a shout. We have had really good luck with both of them on several different cars and combos. They seem to have a really good handle on setting up converters for the 4L80E and the 6L80/90 E. Can't go wrong with Nitrous Outlet. we run his plate and probably switching to either a fogger or his spray bar setup with Vic Jr.
I will definitely do that, man. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate your active response in this. I kinda stalked some of your previous posts and that 9 sec Camaro you are working with is really nice. I think I will dig into cam specs a little better to get a properly spec'd cam for this deal. I want to drive to the track, rip the 9 and drive home....the standard fair right? Haha.

I forgot to tell you about the fuel system. Right now, 10 Gal cell, Fuel Lab 1100 Hp pump, #8 to Eddy Super Victor with 900cc Fuel Injector Clinic Injectors. Right now I have a 95-deg Eddy Elbow and no TB (was considering 90mm Eddy). BUT I am also thinking of sending N2O my Super Victor and getting it set up for direct port system with a 4 barrel throttle body atop the SV.

Right now I like the 3.73s because it lets me get thru the traps on my old motor around 6200-6400 on a 4200 stall converter or thereabouts...keeping the SBE under 7K which is my goal.

Again, thanks Killer5.3 for your help...really appreciate it.

Dave
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get with Martin@ Tick and he can get you setup with a nice cam to suit you. Good luck and keep us posted on your results. We got our converter and gear swapped and installing NO stand alone , dual billet bottle bracket, y block, shutoff valve this week. Hope to get it wrapped up and head to track Sunday and dial new setup in.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

I would get with Martin@ Tick and he can get you setup with a nice cam to suit you. Good luck and keep us posted on your results. We got our converter and gear swapped and installing NO stand alone , dual billet bottle bracket, y block, shutoff valve this week. Hope to get it wrapped up and head to track Sunday and dial new setup in.
Will do man...thanks for the advice. Hopefully the gods of the East Coast will look favorably on me...considering my home track is Atco...I get to enjoy DAs damn near below 0 some days!!! Haha.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd love to do a cam for a set-up like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I'd love to do a cam for a set-up like this.
You will be...I just gotta figure out if I want to go with Nitrous or I want to go turbo. I am honestly on the fence right now. I have always been a big cube small block guy and a little topper of nitrous always sounded appealing. That being said, I would want to ramp it in fairly reasonably if at all possible so I am not destroying parts every other week. Would you mind shooting me a PM on a price for either a Turbo cam or a Nitrous cam? I am about to button up the long block as soon as I get the call the heads are done. It is a 5.3L with 862 heads, valve job, Brian Tooley .650/.660s, LS9 head gaskets, ARP bolts. Utmost concern is drivability, I want to be able to drive it to the track, grip it and rip and hopefully get home...haha. First few runs will be done off the trailer...haha.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Car its going in...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditDave
You will be...I just gotta figure out if I want to go with Nitrous or I want to go turbo. I am honestly on the fence right now. I have always been a big cube small block guy and a little topper of nitrous always sounded appealing. That being said, I would want to ramp it in fairly reasonably if at all possible so I am not destroying parts every other week. Would you mind shooting me a PM on a price for either a Turbo cam or a Nitrous cam? I am about to button up the long block as soon as I get the call the heads are done. It is a 5.3L with 862 heads, valve job, Brian Tooley .650/.660s, LS9 head gaskets, ARP bolts. Utmost concern is drivability, I want to be able to drive it to the track, grip it and rip and hopefully get home...haha. First few runs will be done off the trailer...haha.
Turbo cam and nitrous cam would be the same price. Turbo cam will drive much better than a nitrous camshaft.

Quick Reply: SBE 5.3L 4l80e 3.73 gear Mild cam, how much nitrous for 9 sec slip?