Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Setup/ CME / QTPs what a Steal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Setup/ CME / QTPs what a Steal!!!

My next project is to re-do the whole entire exhaust setup on my 2002 Camaro SS with the SLP CME option. I abosulutely love the look of the CME and would like to keep it for now! But I am having a bit of a dilemma and wondering if the CME will stay... Will I be able to produce the numbers down the road with this look? Will it sound the way I want it to? My plans are to slap on my new stainless steel QTP LT 1 3/4 headers that I just picked up for a steal on ebay! This guy sold the setup because he had already sold his '02 Trans Am WS6 and never put them on! The headers came with everything! Gaskets, MSD wires, NGK Tridium spark plugs, Oxygen Sensors & Walker Clamps all for only $750 with free shipping!

My next step is to have a shop custom make me an ORY...

Final Step: Swap out my stock muffler with the SLP LM1 muffler ! Yes, I said it, the SLP LM1... the sound of a beast ripping out a Mustangs heart! SLP LM1, every kids dream of what an orgasm sounds like.

I am hoping to just swap out the muffler, will it have the same effect? Anyone attempt this with a CME??? Swapping mufflers??

Thanks

Pic of new Header purchase!

Last edited by BAD2theBONE; 04-21-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can but kind of a hassle. The SLP option muffler is a whole different shape and in a different location then the LM1. I would say keep the SLP exhaust stock and put a cutout in it or take it off, sell it and buy a LM1.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD2theBONE
My next project is to re-do the whole entire exhaust setup on my 2002 Camaro SS with the SLP CME option. I abosulutely love the look of the CME and would like to keep it for now! But I am having a bit of a dilemma and wondering if the CME will stay... Will I be able to produce the numbers down the road with this look? Will it sound the way I want it to? My plans are to slap on my new stainless steel QTP LT 1 3/4 headers that I just picked up for a steal! The headers came with everything! Gaskets, MSD wires, NGK Tridium spark plugs, Oxygen Sensors & Walker Clamps all for only $750 with free shipping!

My next step is to have a shop custom make me an ORY...

Final Step: Swap out my stock muffler with the SLP LM1 muffler ! Yes, I said it, the SLP LM1... the sound of a beast ripping out a Mustangs heart! SLP LM1, every kids dream of what an orgasm sounds like.

I am hoping to just swap out the muffler, will it have the same effect? Anyone attempt this with a CME??? Swapping mufflers??

Thanks

Pic of new Header purchase!

If you're going to have a shop custom make you an ory then make sure you get a nice merge off the net like a flowmaster or something that they can weld the pipes into. most shops wont take time to make a good merge and you will sacrifice torque and sound.

next its going to sound more like a farm tractor being started up cold at 7 am rather than a beast. lt's and a LM1 will be stupid loud and very raspy. my advice like the guy above me is keep the stock slp dual dual and put a cutout in it. fact is the catback on there now is worth quite a bit of money because it is one of the best flowing catbacks ever made for our cars so dont hack it up
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

You got a great deal! I love my QTP's...congrats man! I also use their 3" off-road Y with 4" flowmaster collector. It sounds perfect through my hooker catback.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT
You can but kind of a hassle. The SLP option muffler is a whole different shape and in a different location then the LM1. I would say keep the SLP exhaust stock and put a cutout in it or take it off, sell it and buy a LM1.
Yeah I haven't seen what the LM1 muffler looks like yet but I'll wait and see how the original sound from the LT's and custom ORY produce first. If it has a nice tone, I'll think twice before doing a hack job and cutting it up. I would like to keep it the way it is if that has to come into play.

Redbird555- I already have a set of Koni shocks F4/F3 and BMR springs which will lower it 1.25 in... will I have any clearance issues you think if I slap on a Flowmaster merge??

Trent- Thanks man! I appreciate it! I am really happy with my purchase! I really wanted a set of TSP 1 7/8 LTs but just couldn't pass up this deal!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my buddy runs that same setup with stranos and a tsp y and only has issues wehn hitting really large bumps or dips. the merge wont sacrifice clearance the closest part of the y is right where it goes into the drivers side collector so as long as they do a good job you'll be fine just make sure you do poly motor mounts also
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like the sound of my CME, it was great with the
LT/ORY and even slightly louder with the JBAs/tubes/
ORY (due to a better Y-merge). I'd take it in stages, do
the front/mid work and leave the I/muffler/tips alone
until you get to listen. Everything pretty much pivots
at the Y-I junction, exhaust-swap-wise.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CME option is essentially tips with some extra piping. I know my friend has a LM1 with it, and my other friend had 3 inch duals into a CME.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbird555
my buddy runs that same setup with stranos and a tsp y and only has issues wehn hitting really large bumps or dips. the merge wont sacrifice clearance the closest part of the y is right where it goes into the drivers side collector so as long as they do a good job you'll be fine just make sure you do poly motor mounts also
I thought about going with the TSP ORY but I'm not sure yet, I'd rather go custom so it fits my exhaust the way it was made to. Oh I'll definitely be attempting to do my motor mounts as well. I'll look into the TSP Y, thanks again redbird555!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I really like the sound of my CME, it was great with the
LT/ORY and even slightly louder with the JBAs/tubes/
ORY (due to a better Y-merge). I'd take it in stages, do
the front/mid work and leave the I/muffler/tips alone
until you get to listen. Everything pretty much pivots
at the Y-I junction, exhaust-swap-wise.
So I've heard, I plan to do the front/mid section first... just so I can hear how it sounds and then go from there! Good advice jimmyblue and thanks for the input! You're a true LS1tech legend man!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Setup/ CME / QTPs what a Steal!!!