General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange Noise On and Off Behind Dash? (now with video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange Noise On and Off Behind Dash? (now with video)

EDIT: Updated with video in post #13

This has only happened a about 3 times in the past few months. It sounds kind of like a winch operating if you've ever heard that, but a sort of electronic. Like a really loud fuel pump, slightly lower in tone and the noise is coming from up front. It is about as loud as a normal spoken voice. All the times it has happened I've been driving and could not pull over to listen to it, once I got near a place to pull over to listen, it stops. That's why the best I can pinpoint it is behind the dash because that's where it sounds like it's coming from. The first time this happened it started right after I pulled out of my parking space. It stopped whenever I touched the gas, then came back when I was off of it, regardless of speed or being at a complete stop. This only lasted about 1-2 minutes tops. The next few times it was the same, but didn't last as long, more likes 30 seconds or less. Obviously it's not very frequent, but it's not normal. Any ideas?

This is for my LS1

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 04-28-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 AM
9 Second Club

On my 2001 Z28 (not the one in the sig) the wife says it sounds like a dremel tool on & off, I can't hear it myself. Does it alot according to her. Would love to know what it is.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I suppose a dremel tool at the lowest speed might sound like it, yes. It does have a circular sort of sound. Although this is loud enough that you would not mistake hearing it or not.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
This has only happened a about 3 times in the past few months. It sounds kind of like a winch operating if you've ever heard that, but a sort of electronic. Like a really loud fuel pump, slightly lower in tone and the noise is coming from up front. It is about as loud as a normal spoken voice. All the times it has happened I've been driving and could not pull over to listen to it, once I got near a place to pull over to listen, it stops. That's why the best I can pinpoint it is behind the dash because that's where it sounds like it's coming from. The first time this happened it started right after I pulled out of my parking space. It stopped whenever I touched the gas, then came back when I was off of it, regardless of speed or being at a complete stop. This only lasted about 1-2 minutes tops. The next few times it was the same, but didn't last as long, more likes 30 seconds or less. Obviously it's not very frequent, but it's not normal. Any ideas?

This is for my LS1
Hello Marc3.4V6,

Have you considered taking your vehicle in for a dealer diagnosis? If you like, I could definitely help you locate one nearest you and also contact and set up an appointment for you. I would need some brief information from you that you could private message me such as your full name, address, zip code, VIN# and mileage. Here to help.

Reggie B.
Gm Customer Care
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you are hearing the air injection pump....the PCM turns it on at times to test the o2 sensors check the air injection system valves and to see if the cats are getting up to temp fast. At night you may notice the headlights dim a little at times as the air injection pump turns on.

If you can't get the pump turned on you can try 5 dollars and a box of candy.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No thank you GM customer service.

Interesting RockinWS6. My headlights do sometimes dim at night. I have heard what I thought was the A.I.R. pump turn on and then go off at startup (mostly cold start), but that noise is higher pitched and not as loud and more consistent. This noise sometimes is loud enough it sounds like it's in the cabin, but I doubt that. It's also only happened a few times.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you still have the factory radio they have a cooling fan in them that is actuated off of radio internal temp. If the fan is failing you could be hearing the fan dying.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Marc3.4V6,

No problem at all, here if you should need any assistance anytime in the future.

Reggie B.
GM Customer Customer
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Radio isn't stock and I haven't been using it.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the HVAC fan on? **** will get caught in there and make noises.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I still have A/C. I don't use it much at all. It happened again today and I was able to pull over and pop the hood, but my stupid iphone took so long to get to video mode that it stopped right before it started recording, grrRRRRRRR...when it stopped it almost made an air-like noise like a turbo blow off valve only not as loud.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
Yes I still have A/C. I don't use it much at all. It happened again today and I was able to pull over and pop the hood, but my stupid iphone took so long to get to video mode that it stopped right before it started recording, grrRRRRRRR...when it stopped it almost made an air-like noise like a turbo blow off valve only not as loud.
A/C won't matter. I've pulled leaves out of the HVAC fan that made lots of strange noises. The blowoff valve sounds makes me think its more the AIR pump. Its located by the driver headlight, so the next time the noise occurs put your eat there first.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got a video, at the end of it a weedwacker starts up, ignore that. Almost seems like the noise is from a pulley and revving it doesn't make it go away as I thought it did before.

So far this doesn't happen at cold starts. The cold start I hear the usual air pump noise that I've always heard that is way fainter, whereas this is louder. Seems to be warm and hot starts it occurs.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

If it only does it hot, maybe its the radiator fans?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like the air pump for the A.I.R system
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I think you are hearing the air injection pump....the PCM turns it on at times to test the o2 sensors check the air injection system valves and to see if the cats are getting up to temp fast. At night you may notice the headlights dim a little at times as the air injection pump turns on.

If you can't get the pump turned on you can try 5 dollars and a box of candy.
Its the AIR pump............I tried to tell you back a few posts.......find the fuse OR the connector at the AIR pump and unplug it when you hear the noise.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Must be, it's just never been so loud since I've owned it. I'll try the fuse next time to be sure.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise On and Off Behind Dash? (now with video)