Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Edelbrock Supercharger.......anyone have experience with this kit....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Edelbrock Supercharger.......anyone have experience with this kit....?

NOT FOR ME.

But my girlfriend has a 2011 Grand Sport and we were at the dealership yesterday getting something fixed on her car under warranty, the tire pressure sensor freaked out.....

anyway.....we walk around looking at cars while they're fixing it and she sees this white 2012 Grand Sport with a racing stripe kind of decal on the hood. looked ok. But it had the Edelebrock SC'er kit on it and coil overs and a full exhaust, PCM stuff and lowered a tiny bit. Salesman said it had 650 HP. I chuckled and told him no way and I took it for a ride. It felt strong, handled amazing, but didn't feel much faster than my car which has a 1 week old AES 390ci with about 400 RWHP. But yes, it would probably walk it slowly.
Edelbrock site says it brings an LS3 up to 507 HP....but this car does have Full Exhaust and some other little things.

It has all the paperwork of the install and everything that was done. It says it was all done at a NAPA Service Center. Exhaust alone shows a total of $3,500 for parts and install. It also has something interesting that says..."Research into Edelbrock Sc'er kit...$500.00".....which tells me they charged the guy $500.00 to learn what this kit was all about and how to install it properly.

They are asking $59,000. It has 2,900 showing on the odometer. The paint and glass has overspray over every inch of the exterior, which can probably be clayed and buffed out.

She almost bought the LS9 Supercharged Vette last year and still talks about getting it all the time. Every day I wait for her to pull into the driveway with one and then she tells me she just had to get it. She likes the power and handling of it over her grand Sport of course....but man its ~$90,000 to get one.

The Edelebrock set up still allows you to keep the factory warranty, which for this car would last 48,000 more miles and like 3 years or something like that.

you think its worth it.....? Her friend there is the Service Writer....he told us that they only paid around $40,000 to get the car on trade. So that's good information so we can haggle them way down. They said they'll give her $40,000 for her car which has 7,000 miles.

I simply told her that you never buy a modded car...unless you know the owner personally and have knowledge of how the car has been driven and treated.
But girls that have cash just never seem to listen.........lol

SO....basically, what do you think of this Edelbrock kit......?

Thanks for any input..

Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty sure I8URFRD helped install one on a camaro ss and he thought the kit was a POS. message him
Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id be more concerned with the over spray. What happened to the car? Oh and marry that one. Or get her pregnant or some thing.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive put on several in camaros and vettes, its a decent kit, not as "clean" of an install as other kits. They could have done better with the routing of wiring, evsp hoses, fuel lines, ect. They are a little prone to detonation and boost stack with the long runners on pump fuel. I prefer the old style maggy 2300's and the new style maggy 2300's over the edelbrock kit.

I say get the ZR1, way more of a performance oriented car, carbon hood, splitter, side skirts, carbon brakes, dry sump. You can make 700hp with a LS9 without much effort.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way a dealer gave 19k less then the asking price of the vette. I work at a big dealership and that sounds VERY fishy to me. When it comes to a Grand Sport either put a procharger on the car or sell it and buy a ZR1.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like they put the supercharger on it to deflect attention away from other issues.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 67maro
There is no way a dealer gave 19k less then the asking price of the vette. I work at a big dealership and that sounds VERY fishy to me. When it comes to a Grand Sport either put a procharger on the car or sell it and buy a ZR1.
The service writer that she knows there that takes care of her car said they only paid or took it in on trade for about 40K.......he knows the sales people.

Wo knows what idiot used to own the Edelbrock Vette.....maybe some sucker.

Anyway......ain't NO damn way I'm letting her buy it. She said today she is buying the 2014 Vette with I think the Z51 package, can't remember what she said. But certainly not the base model. She looked at last night on the Internet and LOVES the look....... I think she's crazy.....she drives her Grand Sport 4 miles round trip to work, 3 days a week. Damn thing is parked in the garage the rest of the time. What a waste to own any car and use it so little.......might as well just get a cheap *** car with no payments.

Can't do the Procharger because she won't do anything to lose the warranty. That's why the Edelbrock sounded good to her.....it keeps the warranty for the entire power train and she has a transferable extended bumper-to-bumper warranty she bought for her GS that they said could be attached to the Edelbrock Vette.

It wasn't that powerful when I drove it, that SC'er, at least on that car, felt weak. Like I said, it felt just a little better than my 390ci with 10.8:1 cr.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
Sounds to me like they put the supercharger on it to deflect attention away from other issues.

The dealer took the car in on trade with the SC'er already on it.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Id be more concerned with the over spray. What happened to the car? Oh and marry that one. Or get her pregnant or some thing.
Don't know what happened to the paint. It had little silver spots of over spray covering every centimeter of the paint and glass. I felt it and said to the salesman...."wow, what happened here". He said, "what do you mean, it looks good."
I was like dude......It feels like sandpaper. He said......"we'll throw in a buff job if you buy it."
.....LOL......

LOL......yea, she's a good girl. One of the very few beautiful women with a Masters Degree and working on her PH.D in Clinical Psychology......and who is not looking for a sugar daddy to take care of her. We just moved in together.....me into her place. Badass high-rise on the beach in Lauderdale.

Attached Thumbnails Edelbrock Supercharger.......anyone have experience with this kit....?-image.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 05-16-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason it is so down on power is the timing is almost non existant, thats why they sell it with a warranty. Done two on Camaro's and like said, they aren't the most thought out system, and I am sure that is why they give you covers for it. I think on one of the Camaro's it was getting only 5* timing wot on the dyno. With the canned tune the car only put down ~430 or so. Added a little bit of timing and tweaked the AFR and hit 525 but got some KR spikes and pulled a bit of timing to be safe.

For what they cost, would go Procharger personally. After dealing with the roots blower on my GTP they just seem blah besides the instant tire shredding torque they put out.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Supercharger.......anyone have experience with this kit....?