Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Someone School Me On Water/Meth

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Someone School Me On Water/Meth

I've been playing around with the idea of adding a water/meth kit to my Heads/Cam/Full Bolt On 2002 WS6. I understand the concept of how the sytems work in regards to allowing you to run more timing due to the cooler intake charges and increase in octane, but I'm not sure if this would be that beneficial on a NA car. I know a ton of FI guys use these kits, but not so much in NA applications. What would be the average HP/TQ gain by adding something like this and does anyone have any information on which kit/company I should look at?
Old 06-07-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In theory, cooler is always better....but I'm not sure exactly how you'd set this up on an NA vehicle....maybe a WOT sensor? As I'm sure you're aware, the FI guys are typically dealing with major IATs. I'm guessing your car runs in the 90-130 range in traffic/hwy.....probably not a whole lot to be gained, I'd think....but then again, I've never tried what you're thinking of. I would be curious to see what kind of MBT increase you'd see, and whether or not it would be worth it. My initial thought is that you'd not gain a whole lot....but I could be wrong.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/for...opane-tech.14/
Old 06-08-2013, 03:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Well, if you are 11:1 or higher, and struggling with KR and reduced timing to keep it in check, water meth would solve the problem and add hp.

I have thought about it as well because we get only 92 E10 here, and I get random KR.

Will be worse in hot weather. Cooling the intake charge will just be an added benefit.

Because of no boost to contend with, you won't need a fancy high pressure system. I haven't researched the brands available though.

Of course you would have to retune for it, if you have tuning software, it won't be too hard.

Ron
Old 06-09-2013, 05:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to add meth on my car. I have read of people running 36* of timing. On my car 4* was worth 25hp/tq across the board. In the real world you should get even more due to the charge cooling...which isnt really accounted for on the dyno. Im currently running 30* but on hot days im getting significant KR at WOT so I'm going meth/water.

I am looking at the Snow Performance kit, they have a version that works off the GM MAF. You set a threshold, then a gain setting and an injector size. Ill be using the washer tank so ill even have an idiot light on the tank level. I am hoping to get another 25whp...but I may be too optimistic. I plan to have it done in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 458 Likes on 360 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It would be cool to see some results on a bolt-on car.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It would be cool to see some results on a bolt-on car.
All mitor n a here with snow meth kit. Love it.no dyno results, get tuned this week. Seat of pants feel is great.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Im going to add meth on my car. I have read of people running 36* of timing. On my car 4* was worth 25hp/tq across the board. In the real world you should get even more due to the charge cooling...which isnt really accounted for on the dyno. Im currently running 30* but on hot days im getting significant KR at WOT so I'm going meth/water.

I am looking at the Snow Performance kit, they have a version that works off the GM MAF. You set a threshold, then a gain setting and an injector size. Ill be using the washer tank so ill even have an idiot light on the tank level. I am hoping to get another 25whp...but I may be too optimistic. I plan to have it done in a couple of weeks.
I'll be interested to see how it works out for you. Try to make a THREAD so I can follow your build and see the results. The reason I was thinking about going with one of the water/meth kits is because it seems to be a cheaper alternative than converting over to e85 and the end result seems to be the same. My injectors (Accel 44lb/hr) won't support e85 and neither will my stock fuel pump/hardwire kit.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

I will definitely add to my dyno and build threads. This is going to happen. If I can get any more timing at all it will be a huge win. If I can keep my current timing and get charge cooling and no detonation in the heat its still a win.

Interesting, the only a advantage of e85 is timing right? Meth would seem a MUCH cheaper alternative.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
I will definitely add to my dyno and build threads. This is going to happen. If I can get any more timing at all it will be a huge win. If I can keep my current timing and get charge cooling and no detonation in the heat its still a win.

Interesting, the only a advantage of e85 is timing right? Meth would seem a MUCH cheaper alternative.
I'll be looking forward to seeing it. Which kit are you going with? I'm only somewhat familiar with Snow Performance, but I know there are other companies out there too. I remember seeing something on TV where there was a SBC that was on the engine dyno and they added a Snow Performance water/meth kit and it really allowed them to up the timing and yielded a lot more power and torque.

Yeah, e85 is like cheap *** race gas. Allows you to add more timing, which is the same thing the water/meth kit would do.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Haven't seen many on na setups but the alky control kit is the one to get.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Haven't seen many on na setups but the alky control kit is the one to get.
Is Alky Control the name of the company? I assume that is what you have on the Vette? Pretty easy to install?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Is Alky Control the name of the company? I assume that is what you have on the Vette? Pretty easy to install?
Yeah and if you go in the forced induction section you'll see rave reviews regarding it. Very easy to install and its a quality kit.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agree that Alky Control is the best kit, and Julio gives the best service. As far as non boost applications, this is written by an extremely knowledgeable guy and a good read.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...lications.html
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Realcanuk
Agree that Alky Control is the best kit, and Julio gives the best service. As far as non boost applications, this is written by an extremely knowledgeable guy and a good read.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...lications.html
Thanks a lot!!! I'll take a look at that link.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:56 AM
TECH Resident

I ended up going with the Snow Performance EFI kit p/n 20150. It works off fuel injector pulsewidth instead of the MAF. Its in the mail now.

Hopefully I can install next weekend and get it back on the rollers in a few weesks.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Have a look on the Aquamist forum.

Their setup might be better for a n/a car, as with one of their high speed solenoids and much better nozzles, you would have far more accurate control over flow.
Quantities required if you're struggling with knock would be far lower with a n/a build.

With boost, it's pretty easy, just dump a load in, add more timing and you're almost guaranteed a power increase.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/
Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Sure you directed at OP, but Ill check out the aquamist as well.

One thing that is pretty cool with the 20150 is it has 2 nozzles. An itty bitty one that kicks in at low rpm and a second bigger one that joins in at higher rpm..

Interesting comment on "better nozzles" now ill go see what you mean.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

psst...RotP...its in. I go to the dyno friday. SOOO horny to try it, but its raining and thats not good on slicks. Tomorrow maybe.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

giggity

Quick Reply: Someone School Me On Water/Meth