Sponsored by:

PCM to ECM upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default PCM to ECM upgrade

I have a 2005 CTS-v with a PCM harness and ECU, i would like to upgrade the ecu to something that will give me better performance and street manners.

I have a ECM and harness for the new 2006, i tried to install it in my car but due to two different GM languages it didnt communicate.

Is there a way i can upgrade my PCM to the ECM and retain my internal functions?

Eagerly awaiting your replies

Naf
Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't imagine why you would think that change would make it perform better?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

The Ls2 ECM has better engine controls giving me the opportunity to safe guard my investment.

Better processing power, more accurate timing and ultimately more usable power
Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM
9-Second Club

Your dreaming.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Ur posts are not helpin, keep ur negative vibes to urself

There is a way
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A newer ECM has better controls and is faster, but it will not make your engine perform better or have better street behavior. Even an old LT1 PCM is capable of good performance and streetability.
You will get yourself in a lot of trouble to make a newer ECM to work and integrate with all other modules in your car, only to find it works the same.

What are the problems or limitations you have?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by Naf
Ur posts are not helpin, keep ur negative vibes to urself

There is a way
There might be a way to get it all working, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm telling you it won't run one but faster. Besides, your probably just getting ready to ruin a perfectly good car. GM changes so many things in that many years, the odds of getting all the computers on the buss happy with comunicating with each other are extremely high. Not likely you can do it. Last count the late CTSV had nineteen computers all communicating on a common buss. In the end the car won't run one bit better, but you could easily end up with other things not working.

Smart thing would be trade it for a later model car if you feel like they are that much better.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 07-09-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Ok change of approach, is there a way to seperate the engine harness from the rest of the car?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
Ok change of approach, is there a way to seperate the engine harness from the rest of the car?
Either you stole the car or you really think there is some benefit to swapping computers.

here's some constructive criticism. you're an idiot if you think it will make more power. whoever told you it would is also an idiot.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
9-Second Club

As I mentioned, it communicates with all the others on a common buss. Likely not.

You should ignore the person that told you the car would perform better after swapping computers.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

More ram, more accurate timing, more precise injector control. More accurate maf control, more accurate map. More precise maps for tuning.

Whos the fool for not trying
Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
9-Second Club

Been playing with yourself too much.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
More ram, more accurate timing, more precise injector control. More accurate maf control, more accurate map. More precise maps for tuning.

Whos the fool for not trying
Put down the crackpipe step away from the keyboard close the hood on that poor car. The OEM PCM is plenty fast and tunable for the platform it is used in. You will not see one bit of difference by changing pcm's and you will never get the vehicle to work right if you try.

Ed has been tuning vehicles for 15-20 years and is considered one of the premiere go to guys on this site and many others find a quality tuner and get a custom dyno tune done.

There are times when upgrading pcms in older platforms is done but your PCM will handle any engine you can throw in that car and work flawlessly.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

I am running a 415ci with ported ls9 heads and a 102mm MAF and throttle body.

Its doing the job, but the perks of the Ls2 controller give me the opportunity to fine tune the engine and give the options to protect cylinders #7&8 by adding more fuel.

I found i am able to disable the class 2 communications for a transplant engine, so its just a matter of getting the feedback from the ecu to the cluster so i have a working dashboard and AC.

Just about everything else will work on its own,

A stand alone harness with pigtails for rpm, speedo, ac clutch and a few other startup protections will get my car runnin with the new ecu...

I have to dig up the shop manuals to know which pin does what on the cluster...

Back in the early 1900s ppl thought flyin was for the birds, today they are offering trips to space, NEVER underestimate the power of the human drive. You like being on the ground dont hate the guy tryin to touch the stars, for when he does, you will be filled with regrets.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done a lot of engine swaps in cars from 1945 to 2007, you can do pretty much anything you want.
However, sometimes the reward is so little compared with the daunting task of make something work as you want.
When I have faster, easier and cheaper ways to do something I never fool myself taking the long and hard way.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
I have done a lot of engine swaps in cars from 1945 to 2007, you can do pretty much anything you want.
However, sometimes the reward is so little compared with the daunting task of make something work as you want.
When I have faster, easier and cheaper ways to do something I never fool myself taking the long and hard way.
I agree 100% but there are so many options out there at much higher prices. EFI PRO has one of the best kits but they just dont make one for my vehicle. I am similar to a 2004 C5 Vette, but thats the key phrase, similar.

I know there is a way to get the class 2 communication out of the e67, ppl have done it before, i just havent figured out which wire it is. I am going to have a pow wow with some of the great minds in my part of the world and see what they come up with.

ECU wise i can program a transplant engine into them, its just gettin them to talk...

Thank you for your positive reply btw, you brought truth but yet left hope of accomplishment...
Old 07-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naf, there's no reason to try and hassle with an E40 swap into a LS1B vehicle. Just making headaches for yourself, the LS1B is MUCH easier to tune and deal with than the E40.

Quick Reply: PCM to ECM upgrade