Sponsored by:

M6 - 4L80E swap and no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 - 4L80E swap and no start

I used the Speartech harness for the 80e. I got finished with the install and attempted to start the car. Turned the key and......nothing, nada.

Everything with the tranny install was pretty straight forward. Of course I had to make brackets, modify ****, beat the hell out of the tunnel for the plug to plug in but the converter and flexplate and tranny mounted perfectly and the BMR crossmember/torque arm mount fit like a glove.

Ideas?? Clutch switches maybe? There were two of them. A black one and a white one. I'm not running a PRNDL switch. Steve @ Frost said it wasn't necessary.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait a minute here... the car won't start at all? Tell us what all you've checked... battery is good right? Does the motor try to turn over or the starter engage at all? What you changed by swapping transmissions shouldn't have anything to do with it starting or not. With an auto, even if you unplug the transmission altogether, it should still start. I can only assume it would have to be something to do with the clutch switch since you went from an M6. Your PCM has been tuned for the change too, yes?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
Wait a minute here... the car won't start at all? Tell us what all you've checked... battery is good right? Does the motor try to turn over or the starter engage at all? What you changed by swapping transmissions shouldn't have anything to do with it starting or not. With an auto, even if you unplug the transmission altogether, it should still start. I can only assume it would have to be something to do with the clutch switch since you went from an M6. Your PCM has been tuned for the change too, yes?
The motor does not turn over at all. Nothing. My thinking was the motor should start no matter what.

The PCM has been tuned for the auto as well.
The battery tested good on the Midtronix.
I did pull the starter to do the torque converter bolts but I didn't disconnect it when I pulled it.
Oh, and now only one headlight comes up. Both worked before the swap and probably aren't related to each other I just thought that was weird.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have to guess it has something to do with the clutch switch. It almost acts like the PCM doesn't realize the car is in park, so the neutral safety switch is coming into play. Interior lights and all that jazz are coming on right?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
I would have to guess it has something to do with the clutch switch. It almost acts like the PCM doesn't realize the car is in park, so the neutral safety switch is coming into play. Interior lights and all that jazz are coming on right?
All lights come on including dash lights but as soon as you turn the key....nothing. Then my gauges do a kind of reset thing which they have never done before. They go all the way up and back really quick.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And the only wiring stuff you've done was connect the Speartech harness? Nothing else?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on Clutch Switch
Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Did you check the fuses ? Bypass the clutch switch?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said.....
-Check all fuses
-Confirm battery has a good charge- Pep Boys or similar will test for free
-Make sure the clutch switch is depressed or bypassed
-Make sure connections to the starter are proper and check flexplate alignment

Beyond that, I think the only purpose of the wires to the PCM is to control the trans itself
Old 07-16-2013, 05:52 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

The battery checked good and was disconnected the whole time I was swapping things over so there shouldn't have been any issues but I'll check the fuses again this afternoon.

The only wiring done was for the Speartech harness which is pretty straight forward and really only deals with the tranny.

The starter wires are connected correctly and I jumped the starter last night with it off the car and it worked fine.

Ok. So there were 2 switches on the clutch pedal. A black one and a white one. I have the white switch, which looks like the same switch on the brake pedal, hooked up and wire tied (I believe this is the one for cruise control). The black switch, which is rectangular, and was mounted on the side of the clutch pedal is plugged in. Is this one normally open or normally closed. I assumed it was normally open.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think this is the step you are missing (taken from DOMN8R's 2000 TransAm 4L80E Build)

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
Wired in the reverse lights to the shifter assembly and the old clutch switch for the park/neutral safety switch. I forget which pins but there are other posts where I got my information from that explain that.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

I'll try that. I have the PRNDL pigtail and switch I just didn't wire it in because he said I didn't need it.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the same but i did a rewrite and been pulling my hair out for days. Check your VATS
Old 07-18-2013, 05:39 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

It's alive!!!!! I haven't driven it yet because I'm waiting on another shifter cable since mine got broken during the install but it's running now.

It was the clutch switch. Thanks guys.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to hear. Thanks for the update. Let us know how you like it after you get to drive it.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent!
Would like to see also how you like the trans.

Mike
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

I finally got to drive it yesterday afternoon. There are a few issues.

The tach and speedo are both reading at the same time. Tach goes up, speedo goes up in neutral and while in gear.

The torque converter isn't locking up (possibly from the same issue with the tach and speedo).

Tune is set to shift at 6k but it hit the limiter hard twice yesterday. Shifts are pretty tame and I put the Transgo shift kit in it and the tune raised the line pressures. It should yank your neck off when it shifts but it doesn't.

**** now that I think about it my VSS sensor plugs could be reversed causing all these problems.

But.... it finally moves. That's a plus and no codes.

Last edited by MFJ; 07-19-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you can't catch a break! Haha

I'm no expert on this stuff, so I'll sit back and learn something.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Yep, problem solved. The VSS plugs were transposed (I didn't hook them up). I now have TC lockup, a working speedo and a loud *** car. Gonna pull a couple of quarts of tranny fluid back out of it today and drive it again.

Because as of now I'm not too impressed by it. I'm still banging the rev limiter even though the tune was supposed to shift at 6k. I mean hitting it hard and the shifts aren't that firm either.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

It took me a lot of time to get mine to shift right

Quick Reply: M6 - 4L80E swap and no start