Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed Mcleod Twin Disc and Tick Master

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Mcleod Twin Disc and Tick Master

after a couple bad clutch issues............. i put up the money, new flywheel, new mcleod rxt twin disc, new tick master cylinder. best money i spent hands down. pedal feel is awesome and goes into every gear like butter. it might've been alot of money but the return is F'in AWESOME. now im just looking to installin a mgw short shifter in place of my pro 5.0.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^^amen

having just installed a "street twin" (LT1) which came with a wilwood MC 13/16" I have to say it is as smooth as a stock clutch but absolutely holds with no slip what so ever going through the gears

was not cheap but after spending $ on multiple single clutchs over the years I finally paid up to get a real clutch that drives like a stock one but holds considerbly more than any "puc" type disc I have had

Fortunately for the "LS" guys you can use a stock FW so the kiy is cheaper. Don't know if McLeod offers a MC for the LS with their clutch kits but for the LT1 (pull) type it comes with it and a FW

I have heard great things about the TICK adjustable MC and believe for a "twin" disc clutch a adjustable MC is needed to adjust pedal for slightly more travel
Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Im installing the RXT soon so I hope i like it as much as you! Ive got an MGW shifter and tick MC already installed so it should be good. I love my MGW by the way..
Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its claimed that its a badass combo
Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sheer curiosity here guys, and I have no stock in Monster whatsoever, just b/c I run one...

Here soon I'll be upgrading to a twin, and am torn between the RXT or a Monster stage 2 twin.

With the 2yr warranty Monster gives out, why NOT go with them? Is it a price thing?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I can't speak of Monster since they don't make a LT1 "pull" clutch but I love my McLeod street twin.

If you like the Monster product, and I hear many do, I assume it would be fine

the RXT is a "puc" type disc so they are more prone to chatter than a full face organic disc but are the type of disc you want if hitting the 1/4 mi on a regular basis
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Just broke my Mcleod in. Very smooth and pedal feels right.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome to hear! I recommend our master to every customer with a twin disc even though it's "technically" not needed. It just makes the shifting experience that much better.

Even if the stock master is adequate in disengaging a twin disc clutch, it sure doesn't give the feeling that the clutch pedal is "springing back" towards you during reengagement. The reengagement that our master offer over the stock master will allow you a much faster shift and gain valuable E.T. at the track or on the street.

It also just plain feels better IMO. Glad you guys like them!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The McLeod isn't puck style. Looks like a centerforce dual friction disc just a lot better. I don't have any chatter. I won't buy a monster clutch and I'll just leave it at that . But it was not fun installing the new tick master cylinder but so glad I did. I also run the speed bleeder. My buddys all thought I was nuts buying one. Now they understand haha.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
The McLeod isn't puck style. Looks like a centerforce dual friction disc just a lot better. I don't have any chatter. I won't buy a monster clutch and I'll just leave it at that . But it was not fun installing the new tick master cylinder but so glad I did. I also run the speed bleeder. My buddys all thought I was nuts buying one. Now they understand haha.
X2 on all that
Old 08-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ******
Fortunately for the "LS" guys you can use a stock FW so the kiy is cheaper. Don't know if McLeod offers a MC for the LS with their clutch kits but for the LT1 (pull) type it comes with it and a FW
I don't recommend it. How many 13-15 year old F-Body cars do you know that has a low mileage stock OEM flywheel. Probably none. So when a 130K mile stock flywheel that is warped to heck is used on a new pressure plate and disc, and things go wrong, of course it's the new pressure plate and discs fault. So we always recommend a new billet flywheel from McLeod.

And yes, McLeod does offer adjustable MCs and so does RAM.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/ram-adj...s1-p-4619.html

http://www.coloradospeed.com/ram-con...s1-p-5951.html

http://www.coloradospeed.com/mcleod-...s1-p-5317.html

Last edited by COSPEED; 08-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ******
I can't speak of Monster since they don't make a LT1 "pull" clutch but I love my McLeod street twin.

If you like the Monster product, and I hear many do, I assume it would be fine

the RXT is a "puc" type disc so they are more prone to chatter than a full face organic disc but are the type of disc you want if hitting the 1/4 mi on a regular basis
The RXT is rated at ~1000 HP hence the type of friction discs used. If you want something with a little smoother engagement, the RST is rated at ~800 HP and you can always upgrade the frictions discs to an RXT later on.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/mcleod-...gt-p-7061.html
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Launching!

I had my flywheel cut. Thought about a new one though
Old 08-03-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my RXT clutch. Pedal feels like stock. I'm glad I went ahead and paid the price..I also went with a Mcleod billet steel flywheel and tick speed bleeder.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by coSPEED
I don't recommend it. How many 13-15 year old F-Body cars do you know that has a low mileage stock OEM flywheel. ]
cospeed

My point was for "LS" cars you can use a "stock" FW vs on a LT1 you need to use the "twin" FW from McLeod.

I did not mean run a warped FW that was out of spec or one that had not been resurfaced.

Ideally, yes a "new billet" FW is superior to a cast OEM one even if it is within spec and has been resurfaced.

I had a "billet" FW with 2k mi on it when I swapped to the McLeod Street Twin, unfortunately I could not use that FW with the twin on the LT1. Had I had a LS with a billet for a single disc I could have

Fortunately I was albe to sell my billet FW for the single disc clutch

yes I agree, and assume you as a vendor deal with the "my shiat does not work" calls alot from people installing a new clutch with a FU FW.

Quick Reply: Installed Mcleod Twin Disc and Tick Master