Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

headlights will not come on

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default headlights will not come on

I'm trying to figure out why my headlights will not come on... i have checked the headlight switch's fusible link and all fuses I can think of, but I cant find anything wrong. Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the headlight circuit?

What is the chances of the BCM could be bad not allowing them to come on?

Trying to find any way to figure out this issue.

TIA
Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankSS
I'm trying to figure out why my headlights will not come on... i have checked the headlight switch's fusible link and all fuses I can think of, but I cant find anything wrong. Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the headlight circuit?
There are no fuses for the headlights (only the fusible linkZ which you already checked) but there are fuses for the headlight doors. Are your headlights not turning on or are they turning on but not opening? The headlight door fuses are in junction box #1 under the hood (there's one for each side).

Beyond that, you'll need to get a test light or multimeter to start diagnosing the problem. Start at the back of the headlight switch and make sure you are getting power on the red wires at all times (constant/battery power). Then turn the switch to Park and check for output power on the brown wire. Finally, turn the switch all the way on and check for power on the yellow wire. If that all checks out then you can eliminate the switch as the problem. If you have input power but not output then the switch should be replaced.

If none of that reveals the problem then you'll probably have to start tracing wires to find a break.

What is the chances of the BCM could be bad not allowing them to come on?
None. The BCM is not involved in headlight operation in any way. (why do so many people fixate on the BCM?)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

I was trying to figure out where all the wires go for the head lights. Every single wire schematic I looked at had nothing about the head light circuit. Do they run strait from the switch to the lights themselves, Or do they go throu some other components before they go into the engine bay? Just trying to find the circuit path so I can fine the potential places for the wires to be messed up
Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry, ignore my comments about the headlight doors. For some reason I assumed you were working on a Firebird. It always helps to have the right vehicle.

In a Camaro, the headlights are wired from the headlight switch through the dimmer switch to the lights. The quick way to test that is to try the high beams. If the high beams work but the low beams don't then you can assume the headlight switch and everything up to the dimmer switch is okay. If not then go back to the diagnostics I posted earlier.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sorry, ignore my comments about the headlight doors. For some reason I assumed you were working on a Firebird. It always helps to have the right vehicle.
I had the same thought. Headlights always go wrong on the Firebird...

I recall that the Camaro has all the headlight wiring going through the high beam switch, so that switch may also be a good place to trace the wires.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a video of what it's doing... HID headlights will not come on, and high beams do this

Here is the direct...

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...BEBE2D058C.mp4

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-16-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 AM
12 Second Club

No clue what it could be?? I'm bout stumped on it too... Only thing I could think of is maybe a bad ground?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Did you do the diagnostic testing that was suggested? It will probably produce better results than guessing.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Did you see what the video was showing? It has power to the parking lights and the high beams momentarily come on
Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, I saw the video. What does that have to do with doing actual diagnostics? If you want guesses, perhaps one of the psychic network websites could help.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Just process of elimination, that if it has marker lights and the high beams are getting something that resembles power, then that is showing the switch diagnostic isn't required... Then it would be down to shooting wires, but I would need a full schematic of where they all go to properly troubleshoot a possible broken or frayed wire. I do this everyday on uav's in the army... If there isn't a bigger wiring cluster F, idk what is...

But I was messing with the switched and high beam selector last night, and now all of a sudden the lights work again... So it would probably be safe to say that something to do with the high beam switch is the culprit. Just have to figure out what part of it is and where it's all located at...
Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Just process of elimination, that if it has marker lights and the high beams are getting something that resembles power, then that is showing the switch diagnostic isn't required...
Not the case. The light switch is a single box with many different separate contacts in it. Your problem could be anything.

But I was messing with the switched and high beam selector last night, and now all of a sudden the lights work again... So it would probably be safe to say that something to do with the high beam switch is the culprit. Just have to figure out what part of it is and where it's all located at...
To confirm the problem and not guess, you'll need to test the circuits. The high beam switch should be mounted to the base of the steering column and is actuated by a rod that travels down the column from the stalk.

I highly recommend you also invest in a set of Helm manuals. Just google for Helm, Inc. They are pricey but the best investment ever - with full diagnostic/rebuild procedures and full wiring diagrams for the car.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Ya I'm gonna get in there with my multi-meter and get everything checked out when I get the chance... I have a chitons manual already and it isn't as thorough of a schematic as I would like... And I already have the PDF versions of every wiring schematic the car has, except the headlight circuit. Just don't want to go chasing wires That I don't know which colors are for which and start unplugging random plugs
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Save the manuals!

I have a chitons manual already and it isn't as thorough of a schematic as I would like... And I already have the PDF versions of every wiring schematic the car has, except the headlight circuit.
Chilton's aren't worth the paper they are printed on and the .pdf's are not even close to complete as the material is under copyright. The factory manuals come in three volumes, each the size of a phone book.

If you are going to get in to serious maintenance of the car, these will save you weeks of agony:

Old 04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever find your problem?? mine is doing the same thing
Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

ya i did... it ended up being that one of the plugs for the lights was shorting out to the terminal next to it (ground) and was causing all of those issues. replaced the plug and all was good
Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

cool I will check that. how did you figure it was one of your plugs? and by plug I assume you mean were the bulbs plugs up two?, and also was it one of the plugs for the low beams or high beams?? sorry for all the questions I just really want to pin point this problem, and thanks for your reply
Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 AM
12 Second Club

it was one of the plugs i have for my HID's.... the connectors were touching together. If you have stock headlights, then you will have to check between all the wires and ground to see if one of them is shorting out
Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I have hid's as well thanks for the advice I will give it a shot

Quick Reply: headlights will not come on