Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can hp tuners adjust this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Can hp tuners adjust this?

My a4 is in a hurry to get into od during light throttle especially around 30-40 mph it is chuging along unless I step on it & it downshifts and goes or I keep it in third to get on the highway.
The shift firmnes is perfect for me. Can I delay the shifts during part throttle? If so, I would like to have someone adjust it on the fly for me instead of yanking out the brain again. Thanks guys.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing on mine. The tuner raised it up to about 50 and it make it a lot more enjoyable for sure.....Took him about 10 minutes..
Rick
Old 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it can be done with HPTuners or EFILive in the vehicle, you do not need to remove the PCM. There's a lo of driver preference involved in tuning an auto transmission...so yes I recommend you have it done in person.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you both I can't wait to do this. An aquantince has one of them (hp or efi ) as a stranger gave me his home address and I went to his house where he did a gear ratio retune and would not take money. That's a good guy in my book.
How does the adjustment work to raise the shiftpoints or is it trial and error?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would be best to have a screen shot from HP tuners for the part throttle shift table so you can think about what you want it to do. Shifts are commanded based on throttle position and MPH.

Check out THIS THREAD, particularly the "Part Throttle Shift Normal" screenshot. You will see that the 3-4 shift can happen as early as 26mph in that tune.

Also, keep in mind that you might want to adjust the TCC lockup at the same time, if you don't you could end up with the converter locking up at wierd times.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How does the adjustment work to raise the shiftpoints or is it trial and error?
Not really, but it can be.

If you have a deadset rule of when you would like to shift into OD at light throttle, you can just set that as the minimum speed for 3-4 shift eg. 50mph. Then anytime under 50mph you will stay in 3rd, and only after you pass that speed you go into OD.

That's just basic, if you want to be more precise and really finetune the shifting, you can go out and see at what speeds you want to shift into OD based on throttle percentage and set the subsequent cells with those parameters.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

That works for me, do people do this with just odd or all of the gears?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
It would be best to have a screen shot from HP tuners for the part throttle shift table so you can think about what you want it to do. Shifts are commanded based on throttle position and MPH.

Check out THIS THREAD, particularly the "Part Throttle Shift Normal" screenshot. You will see that the 3-4 shift can happen as early as 26mph in that tune.

Also, keep in mind that you might want to adjust the TCC lockup at the same time, if you don't you could end up with the converter locking up at wierd times.
Wow thats a lot of info. Ty.

Quick Reply: Can hp tuners adjust this?