Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Aluminum flywheel street-ability

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum flywheel street-ability

Hey,

I need a new full clutch assembly for my car. I was thinking to replace it with a spec alum fly and clutch (or something similar). How is the street-ability on these compared to say an all iron ls7 clutch setup?

I am running a M6 transmission and I have not decided on a rear gear yet but will be either 390 or 410. The car is about 3200lbs without me and is driven on the street 80% and road course 20% of the time. No drag racing / launches.

The motor build is a 5.3 with a cam that has a lower powerband to keep the low end torque instead of high rpm hp.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

people who autox like the lighter ones for quicker rev ups....but you may find on street driving you need a few more RPM's to engage the clutch to get going.

there are always trade off's. If you can find someone who has a car like yours with a lightweight FW try it out and see how you feel.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aluminum flywheels are good for street use.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i wish i went aluminum , i hate how slow it revs up compared to other manual trans cars ive driven
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

That's why I am thinking I will be good with one... especially if I go with a taller rear gear. Should make things off the line much easier.

For $ conscious would it be good to stick with the ls7 clutch + alum fly?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Lots of folks use our Aluminum flywheel on the street. It all comes down to what you are looking for. And, gear, torque output, etc...will affect the way the car leaves (whether you have an Aluminum flywheel or not). It sounds like you've already made you mind up...and I think you will be pleased. I would suggest our SC09 series clutch and SC75A flywheel. Let me know what you planned torque output will be and I will be happy to make a more specific recommendation. Any of the SC09 kits will offer better performance than the stock LS7 unit. Our kits also eliminate the stock SAC-type pressure-plate which has its own limitations when driven aggressively.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

I will not be running a ton of power. Plans are looking to be in the 400whp/400tq region with the focus of more power under the curve vs peak power.

Weekend fun street car / track day road race car. No drag launches. Looking at 390 or 410 rear.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Honestly, even our Stage 1 would cover those numbers. If course, it's all relative to what you want. I have used our Stage 2+ on my last 4 cars and love it. It has greater capacity, higher heat resistance, and will be daily drivable to boot. It's all up to you though. Give me a shout and we can talk specifics as needed! Thanks!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

The stock one will handle the power loads but will it handle the road course heat going through the gears constantly? Usually that is where the organics start to fail.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is wise of you to look at the big picture on how gearing and overall weight of the car play a factor is driveability. Our Level 1 package with our 18lb flywheel would get you taken care of for $679.99, that kit includes a new release bearing and pilot bearing as well. I've personally seen some aluminum flywheels have issues with the steel insert warping from heat, so be careful if you plan to track the car, that is why we use lightened Billet steel. Don't hesitate if you have any other questions regarding a Monster, Chris 817-750-2000
Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

It is always wise to take the whole picture into account when deciding on these factors. I have over-built a motor before and I absolutely HATED it. I spent way more money on all these fancy "go-fast" parts and I ended up with a car that was TERRIBLE on the street and terrible to drive around.

Swapped out a bunch of parts at a loss for $, ended up with an engine that ON PAPER was going to be way worse than what I had, and it was MUCH better! Way happier in the long run and was much better for the 99% of the time I used it in the powerband it was designed for.

Sure... that flat out high rpm didnt scream as hard... but the rest of the time it was way better. Good trade-off IMO and that is why I am playing it smart this time around.

I was looking at your monster setup on-line actually and I do like the billet idea. However, can your lightened fly be resurfaced? How many times? (or should I say, how much material is safe to be able to take off before you would recommend a replacement).

I will be needing to replace the slave/master cylinder as well with better units (C5 corvette driveline).
Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Our Aluminum flywheel is infinitely rebuildable due to the use of a bolt on steel friction surface. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

How are the torsional vibrations in a corvette transaxle setup with the aluminum light flywheels compared to a heavier steel one?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I got my lightweight fly wheel a lot of people were harping on the old wive's tale that a light weight flywheel is harder to take off from a stop, and drives weird. Lol, I got one based on the suggestion of people that actually were using a light weight fly wheel and my car drives like stock.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
It is always wise to take the whole picture into account when deciding on these factors. I have over-built a motor before and I absolutely HATED it. I spent way more money on all these fancy "go-fast" parts and I ended up with a car that was TERRIBLE on the street and terrible to drive around.

Swapped out a bunch of parts at a loss for $, ended up with an engine that ON PAPER was going to be way worse than what I had, and it was MUCH better! Way happier in the long run and was much better for the 99% of the time I used it in the powerband it was designed for.

Sure... that flat out high rpm didnt scream as hard... but the rest of the time it was way better. Good trade-off IMO and that is why I am playing it smart this time around.

I was looking at your monster setup on-line actually and I do like the billet idea. However, can your lightened fly be resurfaced? How many times? (or should I say, how much material is safe to be able to take off before you would recommend a replacement).

I will be needing to replace the slave/master cylinder as well with better units (C5 corvette driveline).
It can be resurfaced if need be, though not as much material can be removed as the 28lb unit. However if you're having to take off that much then you're going to have to compensate the difference with a shim possibly.

How are the torsional vibrations in a corvette transaxle setup with the aluminum light flywheels compared to a heavier steel one?
I run the 18lb in my corvette with no problems, have ran even lighter as well...
Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

For sure the aluminum will be harder from a stop if you have low rear gears, heavy car, and a grabby clutch... that is why I am changing the rears to a (hopefully) 4.10 setup and keeping the car as light as possible. I have driven cars with light flywheels and you do have to slip it a bit more but once you get starting your golden from there on.

Where is the weight shaved on the 18lb unit? Closer in the middle or on the edges?

That video shows how an engine is supposed to rev. None of this .. pedal down..engine thinks...starts to rev...yup still revving...mmm almost there...ok there it is.

I just want to make sure everything stays smooth through the rpm. I am getting a nice ati balancer to make sure the torsion in the crank is taken care of (steel/steel unit due to the fact I may go with the light fly). This ensures I have enough damping in the crank for harmonics considering the flywheel mass at stock weight does more for vibration than a lightened version.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Get the lightest clutch you can afford. My triple tilton weighs 17lb for everything.....all of it.

Go with the 3.90 gear.....you'll thank me later.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Get the lightest clutch you can afford. My triple tilton weighs 17lb for everything.....all of it.

Go with the 3.90 gear.....you'll thank me later.
I'm confused at why that's the magic gear, most can't tell the difference SOTP between 3.90 and 4.10. I agree to gear up though as that's why honda/supra owners don't complain when they have a 4.30 first gear and 3.73 rear with a short tire.

For sure the aluminum will be harder from a stop if you have low rear gears, heavy car, and a grabby clutch... that is why I am changing the rears to a (hopefully) 4.10 setup and keeping the car as light as possible. I have driven cars with light flywheels and you do have to slip it a bit more but once you get starting your golden from there on.

Where is the weight shaved on the 18lb unit? Closer in the middle or on the edges?

That video shows how an engine is supposed to rev. None of this .. pedal down..engine thinks...starts to rev...yup still revving...mmm almost there...ok there it is.

I just want to make sure everything stays smooth through the rpm. I am getting a nice ati balancer to make sure the torsion in the crank is taken care of (steel/steel unit due to the fact I may go with the light fly). This ensures I have enough damping in the crank for harmonics considering the flywheel mass at stock weight does more for vibration than a lightened version.
It looses material across pretty much the whole radius on the block side.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Op mentioned he's not gonna turn much rpm. That would mean he may not reach the speeds needed to get threw the 1/4. From my experience 4.10 is just a bit too much. 3.90 or 3.73 work better. Idk why every one wants to throw 4.10 in these cars. Look up a gear chart and fear it for speed you plan to attain.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not a drag guy, so going through the traps is of no concern for me. I'm a twisties / street car guy. I'm coming from a 5 speed where I was running 25-2600rpm cruising on the highway. Adding a 6th overdrive and spinning under 2k is unheard of unless I had stock rear gears which were slugs.

My cam / intake / engine will start to drop off past 6500. Not looking to go above 7k.

I figured all the torque multiplication I can get the better. I am going to be running close to 390-400hp/tq n/a.

Lightest flywheel does sound good I just don't want to put $ into diminishing returns. There is a point where more $ is being spent but no extra ++ is being given other than bling.

I'm not running crazy power levels and I don't launch so I just want a setup that will be most efficient for me with my car. 90% of the time its driven on the street, 10% on the road course. And because of that, I'm typically a grandpa on the street. I let all my frustration out on the 10%.

With that all said... I have overgeared before and rendered 1st useless which sucked off the line. Wheelspin gets you nowhere so I need to find that median at 400hp/tq without running 315's lol

Quick Reply: Aluminum flywheel street-ability