Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipe Hitting in Rear Axle (No Visual Evidence)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pipe Hitting in Rear Axle (No Visual Evidence)

Okay, so I own a '98 T/A WS-6. For the exhaust, it consists of 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers from Texas-Speed which is met by a 3" pipe dumped at the rear axle(H-Pipe setup). From header to pipe, it's met by a band clamp. I am getting an annoying sound from about 1500-1900 rpm's. The noise is much more audible in 4th, 5th, and 6th. Normally it wouldn't be a problem but anything past 65 in 6th is a bunch of noise which sounds like the pipe hitting something at the rear axle. I've had two exhausts shops look at it, about to go to a third one on Wednesday. So far nobody has any clue as to what it is. There is no visual evidence of a pipe hitting anything in the back. The muffler which I have is a Magnaflow 14419 Muffler (not sure if this helps). It is very deep. Around 1500 RPM's it sounds like I'm listening to a test tone. Maybe this is rattling something? I need help at this point. Thank you for reading.

I will add this. The side that is hitting IS closer to the car than the other side.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
Okay, so I own a '98 T/A WS-6. For the exhaust, it consists of 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers from Texas-Speed which is met by a 3" pipe dumped at the rear axle(H-Pipe setup). From header to pipe, it's met by a band clamp. I am getting an annoying sound from about 1500-1900 rpm's. The noise is much more audible in 4th, 5th, and 6th. Normally it wouldn't be a problem but anything past 65 in 6th is a bunch of noise which sounds like the pipe hitting something at the rear axle. I've had two exhausts shops look at it, about to go to a third one on Wednesday. So far nobody has any clue as to what it is. There is no visual evidence of a pipe hitting anything in the back. The muffler which I have is a Magnaflow 14419 Muffler (not sure if this helps). It is very deep. Around 1500 RPM's it sounds like I'm listening to a test tone. Maybe this is rattling something? I need help at this point. Thank you for reading.

I will add this. The side that is hitting IS closer to the car than the other side.
Just a thought, but you might want to try a shop that has an alignment rack. that way you can load the suspension and run up the engine to get everything moving. Is it the safest idea, no but sometime you have to do what you have to do.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So it's like a knocking sound...like two pieces of pipe hitting each other?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Steve83ta
Just a thought, but you might want to try a shop that has an alignment rack. that way you can load the suspension and run up the engine to get everything moving. Is it the safest idea, no but sometime you have to do what you have to do.
The shop that I'm going to on Wednesday has this. Hopefully it works. Great idea. That's about the only bet at this point. Think it could be the panhard bar vibrating?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HC,
The noise that is going from the passenger side rear axle sounds like a pipe hitting something up against the car. It gets extremely obnoxious 70-75. Weird thing is, there is absolutely nothing showing that it's hitting. It's just getting embarrassing at this point. I have to do 65 or 80 to avoid the noise. No in-between. 80 is just a little too high in my taste.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video of the noise:

Last edited by 98WS6Hville; 09-16-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added video
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Vid marked as private. That's great that they do.. I'm going to guess its hitting the panhard bar like you when the engine is under higher torque. But hey it could be anything.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Teching In

this is not so much a solution as much as it is a re-affirmation to your problem. my 02 T/A firehawk has the same problem. mien is an A4 however. i did install a poly trans mount, and had to have the gas tank and exhaust lowered to do a fuel pump and again 6 months later to replace the rear axle. Ever since the axle job, the exhaust bangs around like nobody's busi ness under there. under a real hard acceleration i can hear it hit and hold against the unibody of car somewhere, and the Vehicle amplifies the exhaust notes throughout the cabin. i thought there was something clunking inside the axle, dealership checked it out, and verified its solid (GM dealership that replaced the axle), and claim its the "Aftermarket exhaust". i don't know what to do at this point other than keep going to exhaust shops who look at me and shrug, or deal with it.

FYI i have pace setter long tube headers, Cat delete and full 3 inch piping that i DO scrape everywhere i go...
Old 10-03-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the heat shields in the rear for loose mounting hardware or if the exhaust is barely touching one of the heat shields. I'd also check the TA rear mount bolts, all the PHB bolts.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exhaust wrap helps small exhaust rattles sometimes. Having that little layer of fabric helps if something is lightly touching something else. I might also try adding some additional polyurethane exhaust hangers to make it more firm.

Quick Reply: Pipe Hitting in Rear Axle (No Visual Evidence)